PDA

View Full Version : Dell Releases Dell DJ (15GB and 20GB)

MacBytes
Oct 28, 2003, 10:40 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Dell Releases Dell DJ (15GB and 20GB) (http://www.djhacks.com/article25.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

Lancetx
Oct 28, 2003, 10:56 AM
If these are only going to be sold by mail order/online and not in any retail stores, I don't see how this will surpass the iPod (which is seemingly available everywhere now) in sales anytime soon. It's not all that much cheaper and it certainly doesn't have the style or ease of function of the iPod either (although nothing by Dell ever has). If Apple would cut the prices of the iPod line by $50 across the board before the holidays, that wouldn't hurt either. Either way, I just don't see this as the "iPod killer" that some seem to think it is at all, it seems rather underwhelming actually at first glance...

chewbaccapits
Oct 28, 2003, 11:00 AM
BOOOOooooo.

montex
Oct 28, 2003, 11:19 AM
Shame on Dell. Their DJ is such an iPod rip-off. It epitomizes everything I hate about Dell: zero innovation, zero inspiration and no class what so ever. Would it BE so difficult to try to create something better? Even attempting to improve on the iPod would get them some much needed karma. But, no, Dell exists to copy and imitate APPLE, then sell to the masses products that are only so-so. I wonder how the engineers at Dell must feel when they are given the task to imitate the iPod and waste the opportunity to create something Dell can be proud of. The Dell DJ is nothing more than Dell being... dull.

mrsebastian
Oct 28, 2003, 12:46 PM
yuck! ok so it's a completely horrible rip-off of the ipod, but let's get down to why they'll probably be s.o.l. trying to sell this thing. at almost the same price as apple, why would anyone buy a *****ty copy of the real thing?! as mentioned before, if it's only available by online/mail orders they're also screwed. lastly and i think most importantly, apple has gotten such a head start with the ipod and itms, i think it will be near impossible for anyone to make any money trying to outsell apple. sure it's possible, but they'd have to cut so far into the profit margin and make almost no money on their products. so in the end i see apple standing tall and proud.

arnette
Oct 28, 2003, 12:52 PM
Apple should be worried. Dell's player is approx. the same size, has a similar button layout, has included voice recording with no need for a secondary-purchased doohickey on top, CNet rated the battery life at 19.5 hrs (!), and Dell has a much larger user-base than Apple.

Apple needs to start cookin' up some ideas for its 4th generation iPod so it can at least match if not surpass the Dell player in features.

I'm an Apple fan or else I wouldn't be here, but Dell is in a good position to take some marketshare with this player. Aka, the Axim versus all the Palms and Pocket PCs out there. C'mon, Apple. I'm rootin' for ya.

Bunzi2k4
Oct 28, 2003, 01:01 PM
i don't care that much about the dell dj. i mean... i already have an ipod, and would never use a dell dj. and i don't think a little bit of competition will make apple get out of the mp3 buisness, its all up to the consumers. if they're too stupid to buy the better product then they should be using the coppy-cat products that aren't as good/cool. (sry every1 i've been having a really bad day, so don't flare at me for this, i need to let it out somewhere, and from wher i am, i can't)