PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on with the mini?

brikeh
Feb 28, 2008, 03:28 AM
I sorta desperately need a desktop comp right now, surf, music, text, light image editing. Ive been waiting for the mini to get a bump but it doesnt seem to be happenin does it? Anyone have any ideas on when Apple might actually update the mini(if?).

Would it be really stupid to buy one now?
Is the ram easily upgraded? Will 1GB be enough for Leo? :)

elcid
Feb 28, 2008, 05:04 AM
The mini and the iMac are the last things to upgrade. Everything has come at the beginning of the year so maybe, just maybe in it will be in a couple weeks.

The 2.0 should do everything you want it to. Personally I would get more RAM for what you are doing. 1g will work, but at least 2g to make it run well.

brikeh
Feb 28, 2008, 05:25 AM
I was actually thinking about just going with the 1.83 no superdrive and eventually maxing the ram if it isnt to much of a hassle.

takeabyteoutta
Feb 28, 2008, 09:22 AM
wait a couple weeks and see what happens.

aristobrat
Feb 28, 2008, 09:40 AM
I was actually thinking about just going with the 1.83 no superdrive and eventually maxing the ram if it isnt to much of a hassle.
Upgrading a mini's RAM is the biggest PITA. :eek:

It's not overly complex, but it definitely takes some time and patience.

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/tutorials/macmini-ram/index.shtml

IgnatiusTheKing
Feb 28, 2008, 10:42 AM
I sorta desperately need a desktop comp right now, surf, music, text, light image editing. Ive been waiting for the mini to get a bump but it doesnt seem to be happenin does it? Anyone have any ideas on when Apple might actually update the mini(if?).

Would it be really stupid to buy one now?
Is the ram easily upgraded? Will 1GB be enough for Leo? :)

I would at least wait until Tuesday. There is a rumor (http://page2.macrumors.com/) that the iMac could get an update, so the Mini may, as well.

brikeh
Feb 28, 2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the advice everybody, Ive decided that unless I come across a total bargain(not new) mini Im holdin off for a while