Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hanheng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
I have used windows for all my life, I want to switch to mac, the Penryn Macbook Pro is my choice, but I also need to have windows on my mbp. After talked to a technician at a computer store, he told me that using windows on mac is a pain in the ass, he said windows doen't run smoothly, always restart, a lot problem with hardware driver.
So my question is that anyone have windows installed in mbp and have the same issue. I also heard that windows have problem with the apple new multi-touch trackpad. Your comment will be very much appreciated.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
That guy does not know what he is talking about. Windows works fine on Apple Macs. The drivers are included on the restore disks that come with your computer. If you want the least trouble for a 32bit version of Windows.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
I have used windows for all my life, I want to switch to mac, the Penryn Macbook Pro is my choice, but I also need to have windows on my mbp. After talked to a technician at a computer store, he told me that using windows on mac is a pain in the ass, he said windows doen't run smoothly, always restart, a lot problem with hardware driver.
So my question is that anyone have windows installed in mbp and have the same issue. I also heard that windows have problem with the apple new multi-touch trackpad. Your comment will be very much appreciated.

Tell the bloke he's talking "crap" windows runs fine ( or as good as its gonna get ) on intel Macs
I even think some member posted something he saw on the cover of a PC mag stating that the best
computer to run Vista on was a Mac ( Dont though as Vista is a pile of poop & SUCKS )

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
There may be some situations in which he is right... I haven't tried 64-bit XP or either Vista version..

But Windows XP runs flawlessly in Fusion for me. Even faster than my old PC, despite being through emulation.

He's talking crap, probably because he doesn't like Macs. If you have any troubles post here and you can probably find a solution, but most people haven't had any trouble at all. The machine that's run Vista the fastest so far (ever, including Dells, HPs, even Alienware) is the MacBook Pro.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136649-page,3-c,notebooks/article.html

That article says it all.

There's no problem running windows on a mbp/mb/imac/mba via bootcamp or via any of the virtual emulators.

That guy obviously has NO CLUE what he/she is talking about.

True some nuances exist with vista 64bit and possibly xp 64bit but honestly those aren't that mainstream as the 32bit versions.

Bottom line, no prob what so ever.

cfttester

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
I’m a “proud” owner of MBP running WinXP. I have a couple of issues with XP on MBP I never see on other notebooks:

- The worst one is - CPU tends to spin in kernel when the notebook gets overheated;
- KbdMgr sometimes don’t starts during startup;
- Keyboard backlight is on when the system goes to sleep and notebook is opened;
- Sometimes WIFI looses connection to my new .n router.

Sal Collaziano

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Royal Palm Beach, FL
I switched in November and just installed Parallels on my MacBook Pro today. XP Professional. The install was easy and it's REALLY quite amazing how I can be running both of these operating systems, simultaneously! I'm shocked at how seamless it is...

hanheng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Maybe he's talking crap or whatever but that guy told me that he installed many windowns on many macs. who know? I'll place my order on a new macbook pro soon, but could anyone tell whether i choose glossy screen or anti-glare screen?

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
Maybe he's talking crap or whatever but that guy told me that he installed many windowns on many macs. who know? I'll place my order on a new macbook pro soon, but could anyone tell whether i choose glossy screen or anti-glare screen?

There is more discussion on this that any other topic on macrumors. Just search matte vs. glossy and you will get a ton of OPINIONS.

In short:
Matte - less glare, more realistic color (important for graphics professionals who need true colors)

Glossy - brighter

Your choice.

About windows on a mac they guy in the store hates windows and is trying to bias you against them. I run windows on a mac and it is perfect - no bloatware from any companies or anything pre-installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.