Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steerpikegg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Apologies if this question has been asked before, but ...

I have just bought a new 8 core mac pro have been disappointed with the encoding speed of some 5 minute quicktime files to flv format with using the Adobe Flash CS3 Video Encoder.

When I looked, I noticed that it is only using 1 of the 8 cores for the encoding.

Is there either a way to make this use all 8 cores or an alternative application which will do the encoding.

Thanks,

Steer

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've noticed the same thing - just one core being used. I'm afraid it's a situation we'll have to live with for a while, for all sorts of applications, until application developers get more used to the fact that performance these days comes from the increased number of cores, not higher clockspeeds.

- Martin

steerpikegg

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Yeah ... I'd looked at the Adobe forums - I wondered if anyone had experience encoding flv with something else - maybe the Sorensen software and if this has multi-core support.

Aside from this, yet another dead duck from Adobe.

What with lack of multi-core support and the point blank refusal to produce any 64 bit applications, I'm really starting to hate their monopoly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.