Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I am trying to install a 32bit version of Windows XP Professional onto my iMac at work (2GHz C2D) using bootcamp in Leopard.

When it's gone through formatting the drive, and the iMac reboots into the Windows setup (when it shows the Windows Logo), I get the following message:

Fatal Error

One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Does anyone have any idea why this keeps coming up? Is it because I am using an OEM Windows XP Pro CD?

I am using XP SP2.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
It's not because it is the OEM copy. I know because I installed windows xp pro sp2 32-bit (the same that you have) with an oem copy. Maybe the disc is damaged/corrupted, have you used this disc before? If not, you might be able to get a replacement disc. Also, as a last resort if it is the disc you could download a copy of the iso image, burn it to a cd, and then use that as your disc and use your serial number that you got when you purchased the oem. The disc used does not matter and is independent of the licensing/activation process.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
"Fatal Error

One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed."

Not sure if this helps and sorry I cannot be more clearer or specific, but I'm far from an expert, I seem to remember this happening to me. During in the installation process along the way I was given a choice of a quick something or another option of doing the same thing but taking a bit longer. The first time I took the quick option and I received a similar message when it came to starting windows. I started the process again from the beginning and when I came to the same place I took the longer option.

I also used a Windows XP OEM disc with SP2.

Anyway good luck.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
One more thing is that you didn't change any drive partitions during the set up process (aside from bootcamp assistant), right? Bootcamp assistant creates a small partition required to run windows set up. If this partition (normally invisible, but visible during windows installation) is deleted, windows will not install using boot camp assistant easily. You could also use bootcamp assistant to delete the windows partition (merge the mac and windows into one partition) and try again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.