D2 works very bad in OS X. Anyone have an idea?<br>
Tools I have<br>
DP 800 G4<br>
22" Apple Display<br>
GForce 3 Card<br>
Cabel Modem<br>
OS X 10.1.4<br>
<br>
I hope Warcraft 3 works a lot better. Starcraft works fine.

Geert
May 1, 2002, 04:18 AM
Did not know that there is a patch for D2 on X?
btw, I found D2 working rather stumbling on my iMac 450, OS9.
(Could be the RAM on the ATI graphics card is too small, only 8Mb)

depends I guess on the installed system RAM you got, and how many Apps are opened. If D2 is still a classic app, and not enough Sys RAM is installed, I guess that that is your problem.
X doen not let any app take all RAM and procs power.
And D2, under classic that is, want's to take over the complete sys, for optimal performance.
(Think option 2 above seems most likely to be the case)

Beej
May 1, 2002, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by robotrenegade
D2 works very bad in OS X. Anyone have an idea?<br>
Tools I have<br>
DP 800 G4<br>
22" Apple Display<br>
GForce 3 Card<br>
Cabel Modem<br>
OS X 10.1.4<br>
<br>
I hope Warcraft 3 works a lot better. Starcraft works fine. Are you cold? Oh, wait, that's HTML. Don't need that here :)

I can't get D2 to run smoothly on my 966, GF4MX, 1 GB RAM. Not in X, and not even in 9. Ive just given up.

Durandal7
Sep 21, 2002, 09:11 PM
Well, Starcraft X runs fairly smoothly but Diablo 2 tends to be a bit choppy in Classic. Try it under 9.

chibianh
Sep 21, 2002, 10:26 PM
eh? I see my little brother playing D2 on a tibook 550 and it looks fine to me.. But then again, I only see it for a few seconds when I pass by. And he's on 256mb RAM! I don't know what video settings he has running, but he's addicted to that game and playing it all the time. I guess it's not choppy or bad enough for him not to play :)

Gus
Sep 21, 2002, 11:12 PM
Try running it in software mode. It SIGNIFICANTLY increased the performance for me. This was the advice given to me by Blizzard in a support reply. I hated the game until I switched modes. Works great on my G 733.

Gus

Olorin
Sep 22, 2002, 10:40 PM
Forgive me but what is "Software Mode". I have heard this term used before but have no idea what it is. Could somebody please tell me? Thanks

mischief
Sep 23, 2002, 11:57 AM
The screen that comes up when U first boot Diablo 2 is a video setup app. Go through the steps and set it to Software or if you're running Jaguar you may try setting it to Open GL. Fiddling with the settings at that little app will help a lot... just be prepared to lose some graphics detail in exchange for higher frame rate.

Other things to consider: Some characters really bog down the system. Any character with Followers like the Necromancer or that alters terrain like the Druid's plant-creatures will eat processor time like Doritoes. If you stick to the non-repeating and non-constant spell types and don't use Followers the game runs much smoother. Nothing sux quite so much as getting killed between frame-refreshes cuz you can't see !:eek:

Spike Spiegel
Sep 24, 2002, 04:55 PM
having played before but clicked "never show this again" on the video set up, how do i get it to come up again?

mischief
Sep 24, 2002, 05:07 PM
since I'm ALWAYS screwing with those settings I've never checked that box but:

Try using "Apple-M" to switch to having the D2 screen in a window so U can get to the finder-based menues. From there you should be able to find that screen again. I suggest U do this with no game running and just the start screen up.

Durandal7
Sep 24, 2002, 05:12 PM
Or you could just hold the Option key when you open Diablo II. Option key for "options", just rember that.