PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to wait till the white light blinks to close the screen?

1madapple
Feb 28, 2008, 10:14 AM
Hello. Every time I put my Macbook to sleep I wait for the white light to blink (as it says to wait in the instructions) I've been doing it for a few months now, and it's becoming a little annoying, I just need to know if it's necessary? Are there going to be complications if I don't wait and close it right away?

(I did a search, with no results coming out so hope this has not been posted before)

AliensAreFuzzy
Feb 28, 2008, 10:16 AM
Closing your lid puts the MacBook to sleep, so it really doesn't matter.

mrwizardno2
Feb 28, 2008, 10:16 AM
Hello. Every time I put my Macbook to sleep I wait for the white light to blink (as it says to wait in the instructions) I've been doing it for a few months now, and it's becoming a little annoying, I just need to know if it's necessary? Are there going to be complications if I don't wait and close it right away?

(I did a search, with no results coming out so hope this has not been posted before)

Why would you do that instead of just closing the screen? It ultimately leads to the same result

You do not have to wait

janitorC7
Feb 28, 2008, 10:21 AM

You do not even have to sleep your computer before closing the screen, closing the screen puts the computer to asleep anyway...

1madapple
Feb 28, 2008, 10:29 AM
Thank you guys for the prompt replies! In the instruction booklet it says select from the :apple: and select sleep, then you can close the macbook when the light starts blinking.
I didn't know it was that simple, lol. But I don't know why the instructions say it that way...

nickXedge
Feb 28, 2008, 11:06 AM
As other people said, just close the screen without putting it to sleep.

However, wait for the light to pulse before moving the computer. When it pulses, that means the hard drive's done spinning and the processor is no longer, well processing. In the end, putting the computer to sleep means it stores everything you're doing in the RAM. Once this is done, you can safely move the computer.

As for sleeping it first, that's a waste of your time.

priller
Feb 28, 2008, 11:18 AM
I didn't know it was that simple, lol. But I don't know why the instructions say it that way...

The manual tells you that closing the screen puts it into sleep mode.

onebloodonelife
Feb 28, 2008, 11:43 AM
As other people said, just close the screen without putting it to sleep.

However, wait for the light to pulse before moving the computer. When it pulses, that means the hard drive's done spinning and the processor is no longer, well processing. In the end, putting the computer to sleep means it stores everything you're doing in the RAM. Once this is done, you can safely move the computer.

As for sleeping it first, that's a waste of your time.

Just as he said, you should wait for the light to blink before moving the computer, but there's no reason to put it to sleep, then wait, then close the lid. Just close the lid and wait for the blinking light.

1madapple
Feb 28, 2008, 12:42 PM
Hi, nickXedge and onebloodonelife thanks! I just dug the manual up and it does say that, I must have skipped over that.. :o

Hi priller,
I'm on page 15, it's on 'Putting your Macbook to Sleep or Shutting It Down'
I haven't read the whole manual, do you remember what page it says that on?
The manual tells you that closing the screen puts it into sleep mode.

krye
Feb 28, 2008, 01:46 PM
Yeh, just close the lid. Done. Don't selet "Sleep" from the shutdown menu, that's for non-laptops.

priller
Feb 28, 2008, 01:59 PM
Hi priller,
I'm on page 15, it's on 'Putting your Macbook to Sleep or Shutting It Down'
I haven't read the whole manual, do you remember what page it says that on?

Page 15 :D

To put your MacBook to sleep, do one of the following

Close the display

dahlio
Feb 28, 2008, 10:31 PM
All of that above is good advice. Just close the lid, and then wait for it to pulse. They don't want you moving the laptop unless it is pulsing because otherwise you would be moving it while the hard drive is still spinning. Should only take a few seconds, and it will save you from getting a bad HD :(
:apple:

1madapple
Feb 29, 2008, 01:01 AM
Fantastic. Again thanks to all :)