Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Ok, sorry to post such a stupid question, but, what exactly is the difference between the two 12" powerbooks models besides the superdrive? On the tech sheets and in the store, everything else is the exact same. However, the superdrive model cost $200 more, even though adding a superdrive to the cheap one only cost $99. Why not just buy the cheaper one and upgrade to a superdrive and save $101?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wha?!!

The new, rev B 12" PB is a 1GHz G4, whereas the older, rev A 12" PB only has an 867MHz G4. Also, the new 12" PB has 512MB cache, much better than the old version. I'd say that the new 12" PB model is probably around 20% faster than the older model.

The new model comes with 256MB of RAM and maxes out at 1256MB (just add a 1GB RAM stick into the extra RAM slot) whereas the older version comes with 128MB of RAM, and maxes out at 1128MB of RAM (again, add a 1GB RAM stick into the extra RAM slot).

Also, I believe the Audio-In and DVI slots are new.

Yes, that's the only difference between the 2 models. ;)

Maybe you should take a better look at those spec sheets.

fraeone

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2003
Seattle, WA
Hmm.. somebody is confused, and I think it's both of you!

I think the original poster is talking about the two prebuilt options for the 12", one w/ the superdrive that costs 1800 and one w/ the combo for 1600. The weird thing is that Superdrive is not a BTO option at all for the 12", so I see no way to save $100.

As far as differences between the $1600 and $1800 option, there are none aside from the superdrive.

If I were you I would just make sure that your store isn't trying to dump off some older 867 Rev A Superdrive model on you, like Abstract seems to be suggesting above.

rfenik

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2003
I have a 12" powerbook with a combo drive, with everything else that could be upgraded at the time. It's an old (haha) 867. I know someone with the exact same machine, with the superdrive. It's $200 more. Everything else is the same.

The superdrive is a nice thing, at times i wish i had one, but i'd say just get the combo drive and spend a lot less on a firewire dvd burner. The superdrive only burns at 1X, but there are firewire dvd burners for less than $200 that burn much faster. Get more with less...

Are you really going to burn $200 worth of DVDs?

-ryan

mattroberts

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Canada
i think the new PB's feature a 2x Super drive as opposed the older 1x version in the REVA models.

i'm to tired to go and make sure right now :)

EDIT - got the energy (snipped from apple) -

SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW): writes DVD-R discs at up to 2x speed, reads DVDs at up to 8x speed, writes CD-R discs at up to 16x speed, writes CD-RW discs at up to 4x speed, reads CDs at up to 24x speed

cheers
matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.