PDA

View Full Version : MacBook or MacBook Pro (PowerBook User Needing Advice)

HelixOmnimedia
Feb 28, 2008, 10:50 AM
Hey,

I need some buying advice.

I currently have a PowerBook G4 1.67GHz, 90GB HD, 1GB DDr SDRAM... it's ok, but is now getting slightly outdated. :rolleyes: Converting takes FOREVER, programs are slow and often crash, I'm nearly out of hdd space and I can't use new application as some require Intel.

So with Apples announcement of the new 'updates' to the MacBooks and the MacBook Pros, I am really torn on which one to get. My initial thought was MBP but then MacRumors posted information about the Montevina Centrino 2 due in June, and then all the speculation started about the next MacBook and Pros Revisions.

It must have been this time a couple of years ago, and I bought my PowerBook, and then a few months down the line the transition to Intel began...

What do I go for? A MacBook (2.4GH White) or do I just go ahead and get a MacBook Pro (2.5GH 15")?

I really feel like I'm downgrading if I go for a MacBook. :o

When I got my first mac it shouldn't have been a PowerBook, I should have went for the iBook (is that what it was called?)

For the last 4 Months, all I've used my PB for is: writing with Word and Final Draft, iTunes (movie, music, tv shows), converting for itunes, e-mail, internet, and Adium (chatting). I'd like to start a website showcasing my University Media work.

So what's best for me? A MacBook... or a MacBook Pro

I need answers (and probably psychiatric help).

airjuggernaut
Feb 28, 2008, 10:54 AM
The Macbook is a wise choice my friend.
The processors in the MB and MBP are the same so there wouldnt be a difference in converting speeds at all :D

Be sure to buy a mid-range MB though

closeupman
Feb 28, 2008, 10:55 AM
you would've seen the choice is crystal clear:
MB

Unless you're doing heavy video editing (FCP and/or Motion) or 3-d work(Maya, 3d Max, etc), a MB is just fine.

From what you've said you won't be doing any of that, so a MB is MORE than enough.

If you want to save $$ go for the base config. For what you're doing an extra .03 GHZ won't make a huge difference.

airjuggernaut
Feb 28, 2008, 11:01 AM
you would've seen the choice is crystal clear:
MB

Unless you're doing heavy video editing (FCP and/or Motion) or 3-d work(Maya, 3d Max, etc), a MB is just fine.

From what you've said you won't be doing any of that, so a MB is MORE than enough.

If you want to save $$ go for the base config. For what you're doing an extra .03 GHZ won't make a huge difference.
Nah I gotta disagree, a better choice would be to get an Apple refurb.
They are at 999 for a 2.2ghz MB right now!
or $1049 if you want a bigger HD and your macbook to be black.

scienide09
Feb 28, 2008, 11:11 AM
Your described uses for your portable all scream MB to me. The MBP is probably too much for what you do.

HelixOmnimedia
Feb 28, 2008, 01:59 PM
I printed off everything that was available from the Apple website and give it a proper read through... there was a couple of this I forgot about.

I'm not just updating from a MacBook to the latest MacBook, I'm going to upgrading from a PowerBook to a MacBook, which also includes stuff I forgot about like the MagSafe adaptor, built in iSight.

The thing I also noticed which i think maybe a deciding factor is where the ports are on the MacBook compared to where they are on my PowerBook, and the fact that I'll be going from a 15" to 13" screen. I hate using my friends old 12" PowerBook - its so so small - it's that age old question... does size matter? :rolleyes:

The ethernet, firewire, and one of the USB are all on the left, where I really need them on the right. Everything I put into the ports, printer, ethernet, external drive, external harddrive are all situated to my right... and I sort of like the slot loading drive at the front.

Maybe I'm just being picky.

monkeybongo
Feb 28, 2008, 02:28 PM
I printed off everything that was available from the Apple website and give it a proper read through... there was a couple of this I forgot about.

I'm not just updating from a MacBook to the latest MacBook, I'm going to upgrading from a PowerBook to a MacBook, which also includes stuff I forgot about like the MagSafe adaptor, built in iSight.

The thing I also noticed which i think maybe a deciding factor is where the ports are on the MacBook compared to where they are on my PowerBook, and the fact that I'll be going from a 15" to 13" screen. I hate using my friends old 12" PowerBook - its so so small - it's that age old question... does size matter? :rolleyes:

The ethernet, firewire, and one of the USB are all on the left, where I really need them on the right. Everything I put into the ports, printer, ethernet, external drive, external harddrive are all situated to my right... and I sort of like the slot loading drive at the front.

Maybe I'm just being picky.

If you like the form factor and feel of your PB, then you'd feel at home on the MBP. If don't mind the extra size and price, then you'll love it. Based on value/cost, a refurb Macbook is really attractive ... but if you're really that picky about port location and drive slot location then get the one you want.

aross99
Feb 28, 2008, 02:50 PM
I think the screen size is the determining factor. If you can't live with the 13" screen, then you have to get a MBP. If you think the 13" screen is workable, then maybe a MB would be for you.

Like the others have said, the MBP is very similart to your PB. I went from a PB 1.67 G4 to a MBP, and other than speed, it felt like the same comfortable computer. if you really like the look/feel of your PB, then you will be right at home with the MBP...

nick9191
Feb 28, 2008, 02:58 PM
The 12" powerbook is an inch smaller and its non widescreen. I've just made the move from a 22" Dell to a macbook and I've had no problems, you get used to it after a couple of hours.

I would also have a look at the refurbs, there dirt cheap now.

Surf0bx
Feb 28, 2008, 03:26 PM
I like everyone else have been waiting for the MBP update, now that it has come, I'm wondering if I should go for the cheapest MBP which is about 400$ or so cheaper than the middle range MBP. Do you think that it would be that big of an improvement to get the mid range one over the low end one? Thank You !:D

JeffTL
Feb 28, 2008, 08:56 PM
I have a LaCie Big Disk with FW800, and that was something that tipped me to the MacBook Pro. Double the FireWire speeds can come in handy for Time Machine, not to mention for those of us who keep Lightroom databases on an external drive.

Also, the ExpressCard slot on the MBP is handy for Lexar's Expresscard SSDs. Since they're USB-based, their write speeds aren't as fast as a hard disk or SATA-attached solid state drive, but the read speeds are quite snappy and they allow for easy data interchange on Boot Camp.

There is also the question of the glossy display. Can you live with that?