Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morbea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Hey!!!!!

I just bought a macbook and I am complete satisfy. i have to say that windows sucks very hard. I have the following problem. I have a external monitor that I would like to use for watching movies instead of 13,3 screen tha the macboon offers. The screen resolution is 1680x1050 and is a samsung syncmaster. I have done everything correct and when the os give me the option to chose ecternal resolution I choose the 1680x1050. The resolution and the output is correct and I can see everything. However, it does not cover the hole external screen. I creates big black surroundings around the picture. In other words, it does not complete the hole screen, only part of it. Do you guys have the same problem? Is there any way to make the screen to cover every single pixel?

thanks!!!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Use the menus on the Monitor to have it auto adjust. If that does not do it use the menus to widen the horizontal (<>) and Vertical (^V) of the screen.

TEG

morbea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I have done it but very bad result. When I use the external monitor with no duplicate option the screen streches to 1680x1050 perfectly, but i only see the wallpaper.When i press fn+f7 the desktop duplicates but when choosing the screen size to 1680x1050 it happens again the same. I do not understand why with one option i can see everything and when with duplicate bad

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
It has to do with how much signal is being sent to the screen. Doing the screen size manually will be your best bet, or perhaps trying a different refresh rate.

TEG

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
When I use the external monitor with no duplicate option the screen streches to 1680x1050 perfectly, but i only see the wallpaper.

You mean so the dock is on one monitor only, but both have the wallpaper? Cause that's supposed to happen :) No point duplicating the desktop on both if you just wanna watch movies on the bigger screen.

morbea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Ok i fix it. Is supposed to be like you guys tell me. When i want to see the movie, I star the movie and when is started I press fn+f7 to pass to desktop mode. I see the movie on the big screen and the dock on the macbook. Then I go to fullscreen and buala!!!! pefect hd. however the macbook screen keeps on with the dock. Is any possible way to switch off during movie view?

morbea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Ok i fix it. Is supposed to be like you guys tell me. When i want to see the movie, I star the movie and when is started I press fn+f7 to pass to desktop mode. I see the movie on the big screen and the dock on the macbook. Then I go to fullscreen and buala!!!! pefect hd. however the macbook screen keeps on with the dock. Is any possible way to switch off during movie view?

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Sounds like you're running in Mirror mode, which will just replicate your MacBook's screen and resolution. Turn that off and enjoy the full resolution of the monitor - go to System Preferences and you can move your Dock and Menu bar to make your monitor the main display.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Are you trying to watch a movie, in full screen, on the other screen?

Do it in extended desktop mode, open DVD player, drag the window to the other screen, then hit command-0 that will do it. If using QuickTime, drag the window over and use command-F.

VLC you must set the output in the Video menu, then just command-F.

Without special presentation software, you cannot show video, on both screens, in mirror mode (Copyright rule to prevent presentations of movies).

TEG

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
Without special presentation software, you cannot show video, on both screens, in mirror mode (Copyright rule to prevent presentations of movies).

I've never heard of that, how interesting. How's that any different to watching it in extended desktop mode though?

honeycrisp

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Hey!!!!!

I just bought a macbook and I am complete satisfy. i have to say that windows sucks very hard. I have the following problem. I have a external monitor that I would like to use for watching movies instead of 13,3 screen tha the macboon offers. The screen resolution is 1680x1050 and is a samsung syncmaster. I have done everything correct and when the os give me the option to chose ecternal resolution I choose the 1680x1050. The resolution and the output is correct and I can see everything. However, it does not cover the hole external screen. I creates big black surroundings around the picture. In other words, it does not complete the hole screen, only part of it. Do you guys have the same problem? Is there any way to make the screen to cover every single pixel?

thanks!!!

Dude, did you graduate high school yet? I hope not!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I've never heard of that, how interesting. How's that any different to watching it in extended desktop mode though?

In extended desktop, it is only on one screen. In mirrored mode, it is feasable to be showing a movie to someone else in another room, plus the US copyright law allows you to play your disc on only one screen at a time. However, even iTunes won't do the visualizer on two screens if you are in mirrored mode (at least, not the last time I tried).

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.