Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Here we go, with all the help I got it working. Here is the solution that worked for me:

1. First, Open Automator and in the search field type Shell. When you see Run Shell Script double click on the Icon.

2. Second, Type this in the Run Shell Script to Show invisibles:

default write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

Then click on the Run Button, this will show you all your invisibles on the mac.

3. Go to your hard drive, You will see a folder that says, "etc" open this folder.

4. Okay lets take a step back. Open up Terminal. Then type this into terminal,

ifconfig en0 | grep ether

the command above will show you your current Nic Card number. You can change this number in here but it will not stick on the reboot. Okay,

Highlight and copy the Nic Card Number it gives you.

5. Go back to the folder called "etc" on your hard drive. Grab one of the files that has the Kind as Plain Text (does not matter which one you are only using the document type) , hold down option key and drag the file you select to the desktop. All you are doing is making a copy. It will probably ask you to authenticate. When on the desktop open this copy, select the text and delete the text. Now hit save.

6. Now in this file that you copied and deleted the text out of, Type this text

RunAtLoad
ifconfig en0 ether
<= right here paste your ethernet address that you copied from terminal and change it up by change some of the numbers and letters.

7. You are almost done. Save this file, rename it this

rc.local

8. Last move this file into the "etc" folder it might ask you to authenticate.

9. Go to Automator and Change the True to False and hit the run button, it will re-hide your invisible files.

10. Restart your computer and in terminal you can check to see your new Nic ID by typing ifconfig en0 | grep ether Go to more information about your computer and you can compare it to your hard coded Nic

This worked for me hope you find it useful.

sord

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
FYI you can do the setting invisible to true/false and the killall in Terminal too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.