PDA

View Full Version : Problem with ordering from Amazon...

RUStillIn2It
Feb 28, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hi everyone.

I received my black MacBook last Friday from Amazon, and out of the box it's been having problems. It has that oh-so prevalent CPU whine I've been hearing about (no pun intended) in the MBP. On top of that, it refuses to sleep after any designated time I set. I've tried resetting the SMC, PRAM, and running Repair Permissions. I called Apple Care and the only thing they could tell me was that there's a hardware problem and I need to bring it in to a Mac Genius.

He also said I wouldn't be able to do a swap for a new one at the Apple Store because I did not purchase it from there. Fair enough, but that'd be a bit less annoying if I was able to exchange it from the seller I did purchase it from. They don't sell it anymore, only the new 2.4ghz model. They won't do an exchange on Amazon since the new one has a different serial number, and I can't get a straight answer on whether or not they'd charge me a restocking fee if I just decide to return it.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but I don't think I should have to have my brand new computer repaired. It's not only that though--I'm a student and I need a computer! I can't wait for it to come back from repairs. I don't really see what the problem is with doing a simple swap. I mean, all of the computers with this serial number are now being sold as refurbished anyway, since it's an older model.

I guess, essentially my intention is to ask if anyone has had experience with Amazon's return policy, because I'd consider returning it if I could be assured that I wouldn't be charged a fee. I'm fine with this model, so I'd consider getting one refurbished since (to my knowledge anyway, correct me if I'm wrong) they have the same warranty as a new one. If I do decide to keep this one, what should I expect from my appointment tomorrow with a Mac Genius, and do I have any chance of getting a replacement? If not, how long would I be without a computer?

Sorry, that was pretty long... Thanks guys.

Hankster
Feb 28, 2008, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure who you spoke with from Amazon, but you can return your laptop for a refund within 30 days. My brother ordered his from there and ended up receiving one that was already opened (tape was cut). He called in and sent the laptop back and they sent him a new one which was received within a few days.

If your laptop came with issues you can return it for at least a refund Amazon is required to give that to you as they cannot sell malfunctioning products. They have to take it back. I would call again and tell them you want to return it for a refund or another laptop - no questions asked.

wvuwhat
Feb 28, 2008, 08:26 PM
I've never had a problem with Amazon returns. They are one of the best websites I have dealt with for returns (the only one being better is crutchfield.com). Give them a call, google for their number and speak to someone on the phone.