Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacBidouille links to an interim update on Supercomputer rankings (pdf).

The latest results give the Virginia Tech G5 Cluster a score of 9.5 TFlops. Previous preliminary results placed the G5 Cluster at 7.41 TFlops which placed it at 4th place.

The new score of 9.5 TFlops overtakes a Linux 2304 Intel Xeon cluster.

Again, these are still preliminary numbers. Official numbers to be released in November.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Sort of like listening to bits of a sports match on the radio--we can't see any of the details, all we get are nonfinal scores every once in a while.

I'm waiting for the ESPN recap, and to find out how well all the other teams scored, for that matter--there could be plenty of new fast clusters around the world (not in Texas, though).

Mr.Hey

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by MrMacman
Go SuperComputer...

Though why not wait till the *offical* numbers are put out... I'd rather not like to see Big Mac at 10 instead of #3...

:eek:

why?, well to build up the suspense of course :rolleyes: :D . MR knows how to milk its cow ;).

From Win to Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2001
Montreal, Canada
and something else...

If Apple is smart, they've flooded that VTech Campus with Apple Hardware Engineers straight from California, to try and max that sucker out until there isn't one single processor cycle left to run the dock bounce effect... ;) :D

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
The theoretical peak performance of the VT cluster is 17.6 teraflops. In a test with only 128 processors active, they achieved a real performance of about 80% of the theorectical value (80% of what 128 processors could theoretically do). Usually, the more processors you have, the harder it is to get close to the theoretical values.

With 9.5 teraflops, they are now at roughly 54%, which is still rather low, so on can expect some more improvement if everything goes well (and they don't miss the deadline). The biggest Intel (2304 Xeons) cluster achieves 74% of its theoretical value, which corresponds to 7.6 teraflops.

If they could get to 80% they would be at 14 teraflops or second place (there is one at 13.8). But there is no chance that they will become number one, they would have to exceed their theoretical performance.

Another thing that makes the race so interesting, that, although initially their numbers were compared to a list published in June, they are not the only who have started building a supercomputer since then, and other people have been providing new results as well.

And BTW, they have been running a beta version of Panther from the beginning.

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Sucks to be a Naysayer doesn't it

I knew they could do better than 42% efficiency. The last numbers we saw (around 8.4Tflops iirc) were 48%, and the latest is nearly 54%. 3 more days to eek out a few more optimizations and we may even see 10 Tflops :D .

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by MrMacman
Go SuperComputer...

Though why not wait till the *offical* numbers are put out... I'd rather not like to see Big Mac at 10 instead of #3...

Well, if they aren't on these preliminary lists yet, then they had better get it together as they only have 3 days left in October...

BurntCalc

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Tucson
Umm...

Wasn't the deadline Oct. 1? I know they're tweaking the numbers, but the final list submissions have already been sent in, which would place the cluster at between #4 to #6. Or are they allowed to adjust their numbers until Nov. 5?

I'm confused... :confused:

-John

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by manu chao
But there is no chance that they will become number one, they would have to exceed their theoretical performance.

Dude, I know you mean well, but you obviously haven't seen the trendline. We're gaining 2Teraflops every week or two. This time next year we'll be at 100 TFlops or so. Theory, shmeory! #1 is obviously within our grasp!

I mean, jeez, it's like you can't read a simple linear extrapolation of a trend line. And I bet you call yourself an engineer!

:)

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Umm...

Originally posted by BurntCalc
Wasn't the deadline Oct. 1? I know they're tweaking the numbers, but the final list submissions have already been sent in, which would place the cluster at between #4 to #6. Or are they allowed to adjust their numbers until Nov. 5?

I'm confused... :confused:

-John

I believe the machine had to be assembled and have preliminary results by Oct 1. The final results deadline is apparently a bit later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.