Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
Hey guys, just a quick question in regards to how the majority of MBA users are using their machines, do you have it plugged into the Mag Safe power adapter all the time while using it ? Or do you use it on battery then charge it over night ?

I have done the full calibration, and now im just using it off the mag safe power adapter...Will that cause any problems by doing this ?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I have it plugged in when it's on my desk but use it in battery elsewhere in the house. Don't think there is a problem leaving it plugged in most of the time though

arcanic

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I have it plugged in when it's on my desk but use it in battery elsewhere in the house. Don't think there is a problem leaving it plugged in most of the time though

I use my Air the same way....so far so good.

Arc

johnkountz

Nov 3, 2007
USA
I walk mine

Old man here, try not to run when I can avoid it. I walk mine.

When not walking it, I've been focusing on house training the battery. It's been a bit of a nasty process, waking up in the morning to find a mess - 8 hour charge time, has been a frustrating wake-up to my new pet Air. So I find myself continually conditioning, full charge, full drain, rest, repeat.

Hopeful I can train this one, the last one had to be returned to Apple. Hate to see a Mac euthanized.

:rolleyes:

dahcheet

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
I take mine to work with me everyday to use over lunch and any random breaks. Then I drain the rest of the battery when I get home and charge it when the warning message comes up. 21 cycles in and nothing seems to be wrong. :D

jameskohn

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Connecticut
Just use it...

I just use it without even thinking about the power; that means on battery most of the day, recharge overnight.

Most of the battery "issues" seem to sort themselves out over time: from empty +/- 2 hours to about 80%, then around two more hours to get to 100%.

I would not have even known there was an issue if I hadn't read the forums. As it turns out, there isn't a problem with my battery. From 0% to 100% in under 4 hours works for me.

Enjoying the heck out of this machine.

spyz88

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Old man here, try not to run when I can avoid it. I walk mine.

When not walking it, I've been focusing on house training the battery. It's been a bit of a nasty process, waking up in the morning to find a mess - 8 hour charge time, has been a frustrating wake-up to my new pet Air. So I find myself continually conditioning, full charge, full drain, rest, repeat.

Hopeful I can train this one, the last one had to be returned to Apple. Hate to see a Mac euthanized.

:rolleyes:

ROFLMFAO!!!!! I'm sorry but that was TOO funny...

ddd269

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Torrance, CA
I just use it without even thinking about the power; that means on battery most of the day, recharge overnight.

Most of the battery "issues" seem to sort themselves out over time: from empty +/- 2 hours to about 80%, then around two more hours to get to 100%.

I would not have even known there was an issue if I hadn't read the forums. As it turns out, there isn't a problem with my battery. From 0% to 100% in under 4 hours works for me.

Enjoying the heck out of this machine.

My thoughts exactly!

Just enjoy your MBA :D

al82

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Once the battery is on full, if you leave it plugged in, is this ok?

Say my battery is full and im home all day, can i leave it plugged in all day while i use it?

Guess what i really want to know is once the battery is full, will it stop charging the battery and only use the electricity to run the product?

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
Thanks for the replies :) It seems that its fine to leave it plugged into the MagSafe adapter and run it. Ive done the full calibration twice now, and its just been plugged in since the last calibration, and its showing the battery to be 98%, why is this ?

Ive just tried taking the magsafe off and running on battery power, the time remaining showed some weird results, it went from 5:20 remaining to 4:49 remaining with the drop from 98% to 96% ? And then back up to 5:10 remaining ?

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Thanks for the replies :) It seems that its fine to leave it plugged into the MagSafe adapter and run it. Ive done the full calibration twice now, and its just been plugged in since the last calibration, and its showing the battery to be 98%, why is this ?
The battery wont start charging again until the battery power level drops below about 95%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.