Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Seems like we have a lot of UK-specific threads come up that sometimes get drowned out. A UK-specific forum would be quite useful for many in our rather large sector of the MR community. I could see many of us subscribing to such a forum and giving each other a lot of support without clogging the regular forums.

Mods?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Then why not Canadian, Australian, Norwegian, New Zealand ones? Just to name a few nationalities that come to mind and would have equally valid claims.

Do you also suggest we have matching forums for the UK contingent? A UK iPhone forum, a UK iPod forum? Personally, I like knowing all threads have a geographically-diverse readership.

Doubt it's going to happen.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Not sure that would work. Basically you would need a complete off shoot segregation from MR main, and then where do you stop ? The Canadians will be moaning that they haven't got their own forum and what about the rest of the world ?

Do we then split moderators and administrators ? We would have to recruit a lot more if it means there are two sites to police / govern.

And what happens to other sections such as current affairs ? Can we no longer discuss things globally ? Do I have to log out and in of two different forums dependent on the post / discussion ?

Its a nice idea in principal, but in practice I could see it being a nightmare in both time and additional cost for the MR team, and usability for the reader.

Edit...... damn everyone posted as I was typing mine all saying the same thing :p

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Then why not Canadian, Australian, Norwegian, New Zealand ones? Just to name a few nationalities that come to mind and would have equally valid claims.

Do you also suggest we have matching forums for the UK contingent? A UK iPhone forum, a UK iPod forum? Personally, I like knowing all threads have a geographically-diverse readership.

Doubt it's going to happen.

No. Just a UK forum. People can ask about stock, 3rd party UK suppliers, HE and EDU pricing, UK promotional offers etc. All sorts of UK-specific threads come up, as you know, that are of no interest to non-Brits in the iPhone, MBA, MP, Buying Tips, etc., and they aren't very accessible to us.

This board has grown a lot, and the UK contingent is quite big. Once you all quit jerking your knees, maybe you'll see the sense in considering it. Subscribing to the UK forum would help a lot of us to help each other, and it wouldn't get in anyone else's way.

I don't think a Canadian forum would be a bad idea as Rogers is apparently about to announce, and an Australian forum might make sense, and I think the idea of a New Zealand forum is only a little bit more reasonable than a Vietnam or Norway forum. It's not like this would make a lot of work for the Mods.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Once you all quit jerking your knees, maybe you'll see the sense in considering it.

Not the way to continue this conversation. We have a responsibility to maintain and develop this forum for all those who participate, not just the small minority of UK users.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Why not just have segregated websites?

Macrumors US
Macrumours UK
Macrumours AU

with no cross contamination.

As a bonus the site name will be spelt correctly for each country too

Aug 6, 2007
Why not just have segregated websites?

Macrumors US
Macrumours UK
Macrumours AU

with no cross contamination.

As a bonus the site name will be spelt correctly for each country too

and Macrumeures FR ;)

seriously though, in regards to the OP- It's too much in the way of segregation.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
To the rest, just forget it. You all know better.

In many cases, we do. You specifically asked mods for their opinions, which were politely given, but when we don't agree, it's suddenly problematic.

You're not the first, nor will you be the last to make this request... the issues have been considered before.

joefinan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK
I know what you mean. At the moment I want to know who is getting their new MBP and when, but I have no idea of knowing whether the posts are US, UK etc...

Perhaps some way of being able to set it so that all posts from a certain country in a different colour would be cool.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I know what you mean. At the moment I want to know who is getting their new MBP and when, but I have no idea of knowing whether the posts are US, UK etc...

Perhaps some way of being able to set it so that all posts from a certain country in a different colour would be cool.

Some people like the anonymity that not having your location advertised offers.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
My suggestion wouldn't affect that at all.

To the rest, just forget it. You all know better.

If you're going to post a thread asking for feedback don't get upset when the feedback you receive is not agreeable with your viewpoint. That's not asking for feedback, that's asking for agreement.

Perhaps your request would be more valid if you presented examples of UK related threads that were ignored. I rarely see a thread go unanswered.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
It would be interesting to see the stats for the nationalities here. It can't be done accurately because there's no requirement to state nationality, but even amongst those who have stated it it would be interesting. Talking of this as an 'international forum' - it could be more like 60% US, 38% UK, 2% other. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.