Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rlkv011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I've bought my first air on Feb. 5. I had to exchange it for a new one because I was having problem with video playback. The second one is also having the same issue. I guess it overheats and one of the cores shuts down. This happens about 75 percent of the time be it from watching videos on youtube, movies from itunes or other movies that I have downloaded.

Today I have to take it to a Mac Genius and if deemed defective they will let me exchange it for a macbook pro. I have recorded video proof the air freezing and skipping from watching a movie from itunes so it will prove to them that I am not making this up. I really do not want to get rid of my air as I love the form factor and just the overall sexiness of the laptop. Other task such as word processing, listening to music, instant messaging, email, etc.. I have no problem whatsoever with.

My question is would you exchange the air for a macbook pro? I've never used a Pro before for an extended period of time. How is the keyboard compared to the air(I love the air's keyboard). I am so use to the air's size would I have a hard time adjusting. I really watch a lot of videos on my mac's so its important for me to have a computer that can handle video playback. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

dahcheet

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
I'm actually pretty surprised by this. I've been watching iTunes videos for prolonged periods of time (just got into Lost and am trying to catch up) and although the fans start to go it hasn't frozen on me or anything. My viewing has been full screen for hours on end. I'm sorry for your bad luck. :(

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
Not sure how much difference it would make, but was it the 1.8 or 1.6?

I've watched several videos (from Lost to 2 hour films) on my 1.8 SSD with no issues.

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
its like asking should you exchange your mac for a pc. they are 2 diff types of machines completely. if all you use your air for is internet,email,youtube,etc.. then its fine. we all know what the macbook pro gives you,

pstauff

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
I like the MacBook and MacBook Air keyboards better than the Pro, but the MBP is fine. I don't like the mechanical latch on the MBP. Magnetic is much nicer. The MBP is more powerful and will probably allow you to do more things. If the extra bulk is okay with you, you should consider the opportunity for a free upgrade.

So far I haven't had any issues with cores shutting down. I do notice that if I rest the laptop on a blanket, bed, or cushion, that it makes it run hotter when I do more intensive tasks, such as video. It runs cooler on a desk or table, with better air flow. How do you mostly arrange your MBA?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I like the MacBook and MacBook Air keyboards better than the Pro, but the MBP is fine.
I see it a bit differently.

Here is how I would rate the keyboards from best to worst:
- MBP
- MBA
- MB

Love the MBP one. The MBA feels okay. Dislike the MB one.

To the OP, YMMV

Rlkv011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
To answer a few questions, I have a 1.6 80 hdd and the surfaces vary from wood tables, bedspreads, and my lap. I do notice it happens faster when I am on my bed but it still happens on other surfaces. Should I get some sort of external cooling device?

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
Well, as I can't imagine the SSD makes that much difference, it might be worth taking the video files with you and testing on a 1.8/80gb model. Maybe the slight bump in processor is enough to make a difference to video playback. Not sure what others experiences are...

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
1.6 should be enough for any videos short of super high resolution 1080p stuff. If your air isn't playing videos then it is defective. If the replacement isnt then it is also defective.

You don't need a MacBook pro to play videos (unless you want one) you need a non defective air.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
no issues here... but I'd jump on a MBP in a heartbeat if I didn't need to carry it around everywhere with 20 lbs of books.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
yep i looooove the air, but with the new MBP, i am really thinking of selling the o so perfect MBA

look for it in the marketplace, if i can get what i want for it, i will buy the MBP

t4cgirl

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
I went to the Apple store today for just this mission...and decided against it.

1) I have a kickass desktop to do the heavy duty stuff. (Premiere + compiling)

2) I'm flipping between Flash, Photoshop, Pages, and Firefox while on a battery right now. Fan's not even on.

3) I'm not convinced that the added MBP speed is worth the added weight (2.4 pounds + bigger charger) and the added cost. (Comparing the $1000 MacBook to the $2500 MBP makes me queasy at Apple pricing shenanigans...)

4) MBP is overdue for a design update. Looks fugly to me.

I'm not a complete MBA convert, the battery isn't enough and I'm looking at options for that. I'd take a Mac Pro before a MBP though.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
My question is would you exchange the air for a macbook pro? I've never used a Pro before for an extended period of time. How is the keyboard compared to the air(I love the air's keyboard). I am so use to the air's size would I have a hard time adjusting. I really watch a lot of videos on my mac's so its important for me to have a computer that can handle video playback. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

No I wouldn't. My Macbook Pros hang noticeably heavier on my shoulder after a while and it's the reason why I bought MBP's for everywhere I'm based, so that the only OS X carrying I'd need to do would be if I was travelling elsewhere.

The Air is the first OS X machine I consider actually portable, as opposed to transportable (like the Macbook / MBP 15 & 17) or heaveable (Dell XPS M1730). It's the first OS X machine I'm OK spending all day with... with the exception of the bizarrely slow battery charging, which means I don't have the same opportunities to top up the battery than even a Sony SZ for example.

But then, I have Macbook Pros. I also have all sorts of other stuff. You're apparently considering using it as your only machine. And as an only machine, I believe the MBA sucks llama testicles unless you actually need the portability.

If you don't need the portability as much, then the Macbook Pro is so much more superior in all respects (apart from the perceived build quality, maybe). So it boils down to just that.

arcanic

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well, I bought a 17" Santa Rosa MacBook Pro less than a year ago. I thought I'd take it everywhere with me, and for the most part I did. But let me tell you, my bag was SUPER heavy. Traveling in an airplane? FORGET IT...this beast was too darned heavy and wide.

Enter the Air....

Now I feel I have the elegance of the Pro, with the portability of a smaller UMPC-ish Macbook. I couldn't imagine getting rid of my Air at this point. I barely even notice it on my shoulder...a HUGE change from my Pro. Style, minimal weight....AND I get to have Leopard. Wow...just wow. Now, the Pro is hooked to a 28" viewsonic and is my dedicated 'desktop' computer.

Loving me some Air,

:apple:Arc:apple:

Rlkv011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Hey guys I just wanted to post an update. I took the air to the genius bar yesterday. I had recorded video proof of the air freezing and skipping when playing video. They decided I could exchange the air for a mbp, so I decided to do it. I got the 2.4/2gb/200gb 15" model. With the student discount of $200 and my return of the superdrive, made the exchange $100 less than the price of the air. I really liked the air aside from the video playback problem I was having.

I see there are quite a few threads about the overheating, core shutdown, video playback problems. I hope this is an issue that can be fixed by apple because I would consider buying another air by the summer, possibly when they update the product.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Hey guys I just wanted to post an update. I took the air to the genius bar yesterday. I had recorded video proof of the air freezing and skipping when playing video. They decided I could exchange the air for a mbp, so I decided to do it. I got the 2.4/2gb/200gb 15" model. With the student discount of $200 and my return of the superdrive, made the exchange $100 less than the price of the air. I really liked the air aside from the video playback problem I was having.

I see there are quite a few threads about the overheating, core shutdown, video playback problems. I hope this is an issue that can be fixed by apple because I would consider buying another air by the summer, possibly when they update the product.

I think that was a wise choice. How do you like the MBP???

Rlkv011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I think that was a wise choice. How do you like the MBP???

I love it. It's definety heavier but the size of it really doesnt bother me as much as I thought it would. I am having a little trouble adjusting to the new keyboard. I find myself making more typing mistakes or missing keys. I still want another air sometime in the near future for business travel.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
I love it. It's definety heavier but the size of it really doesnt bother me as much as I thought it would. I am having a little trouble adjusting to the new keyboard. I find myself making more typing mistakes or missing keys. I still want another air sometime in the near future for business travel.

I hate the screen, keyboard and latch........and its plain fugly next to the Air ;)

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Glad to hear it! Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy vid's without issue.

Personally, I haven't had problem watching vid's, which is rarely but I did run through quite a few for battery cal.'s and test for your issue. My choice is to use the Air for work crap and iPod's for entertainment. The drive isn't really big enough for my multimedia needs along with work.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
The Macbook Pro is a heavy beast so if you're looking for portability then you'd be better with the Air provided it meets your needs.

As an aside, I'll never understand why people think computers are sexy. I mean it's a bloody computer!

Seriously folks.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
The Macbook Pro is a heavy beast so if you're looking for portability then you'd be better with the Air provided it me your needs.

As an aside, I'll never understand why people think computers are sexy. I mean it's a bloody computer!

Seriously folks.

I never said it was sexy... it looks nice, just like a car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.