Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yocko

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
if i open a avi in quicktime (with perian), then save as mov file then drag it into itunes, will it then show up on apple tv? or do I really have to convert my avi's... does handbreak convert avi's into atv playable files?

thanks

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Visual Hub is your friend.

Oh and if you convert it to mov it may work on your AppleTV depending on the resolution of the video, how it was encoded, etc.

The easiest thing would be to convert the avi files in Visual Hub.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
if i open a avi in quicktime (with perian), then save as mov file then drag it into itunes, will it then show up on apple tv? or do I really have to convert my avi's... does handbreak convert avi's into atv playable files?

thanks

If the avi container holds an mpeg4 file, and if the video and audio were encoded within the apple tv's specs, then saving as a .mov should work. Otherwise, no.

If you don't feel like paying for Visual Hub or QT Pro, you can also try ffmpegx or MPEG Streamclip, both of which are free. I've never used VH, but from what I gather it is much more user-friendly than the two freebies I mentioned. I find MPEG Streamclip easy to use, but ffmpegx has a bit of a learning curve if you aren't familiar with codecs, bit rates, pixel ratios, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.