Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Not sure if this has been covered already, but if it has I haven't seen it. To say I'm disgusted doesn't even begin to cover it. WTF is wrong with the human race? :mad::mad:

A gang beat and tortured a disabled man to death for sport, a court has heard.

Brent Martin died in hospital after being found with multiple injuries on Sunderland's Town End Farm estate in August last year.

A youth, aged 17, who cannot be named for legal reasons, denies murdering the 23-year-old, who was found dying next to a parked car.

William Hughes, 21, and a 16-year-old have already admitted Mr Martin's murder, at Newcastle Crown Court.

On Tuesday, at the start of the 17-year-old's trial, the court heard that the attack began at a bus stop when he bet £5 that the 16-year-old could not knock out Mr Martin with his right hand.

Both youngsters were trained as boxers, and their victim was repeatedly punched, kicked, stamped on and head butted, the jury was told.

Multiple injuries

Prosecutor Toby Hedworth QC said: "That man Brent Martin never lifted an aggressive finger towards them and they did that to him until he was dead. They did that for their own sport."

A post-mortem examination revealed he died from a massive head injury and had suffered at least 18 separate blows to the head and neck.

The court heard that the 17-year-old defendant later told witnesses: "I am not going down for a muppet."

A 47-year-old woman, the mother of the 16-year-old, is also on trial accused of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

She is accused of destroying evidence by washing the blood-stained clothing of her son.

The trial continues.

BBC News

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Here's the verdict by the way. I hope someone in that prison corners them and does the same to them.

Link

mufflon

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2006
seemed like a rather good verdict for change - they certainly had it coming... ... murder and the attack on the disabled is viscious and brutal and should never be accepted anywhere anytime

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
welcome to the uk...

life doesnt mean life, parole is given far too easily because the government don't like to build prisons.. these people should hang, what good have these two (or the arguably worse mother) got to offer the world, other than the production of more like themselves..

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
There are times when I despair of the depths of depravity which people can reach. Even if it started as thoughtlessness, how on earth can people become so carried away and goad each other on without realising that what they are doing is wrong?

It's not that they don't realize it's wrong - it's that they don't care. They either don't think they'll get caught or don't think the consequences will be any worse than the state their life is already in. In the US we constantly hear about people who commit crimes just so they'll be sent to jail where food and clothing and a bed will be provided for years to come, not to mention cable TV and so forth. And there are even instances where they can earn money by working while they're in there and they can get a lump sum paycheck when they're released. It's all BS. The whole judicial system is ridiculous.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Perhaps it's just me, or just the accessibility of the media these days, but is certainly seems like there are more "killing for sport" type of crimes lately. I recall, in particular, the one where a couple of girls in Australia killed another girl for fun. I mean, what gives?!

Either way, it's just sad. I keep hoping that their time in prison will teach them a lesson, but the system so often fails to rehabilitate that that hope is pretty minimal.

Is there any chance of Brent's family getting some sort of retribution in the civil courts?

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I'm against the death penalty in principle, but there are times when I could make an exception. This would be one of them.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm against the death penalty in principle, but there are times when I could make an exception. This would be one of them.

Or lets pay £5 to anyone in jail who uses these guys as toys for their pleasure.

floriflee said:
I keep hoping that their time in prison will teach them a lesson, but the system so often fails to rehabilitate that that hope is pretty minimal.
Yes, it sounds quite pessimistic, but I feel the same way sometimes. This is one of those times.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I've heard a story about the way the Natives handled something like this.

I believe those convicted are sent on a journey. A very tough journey. If they make it back alive, they've paid their price.

For these guys, I think sending them to the North pole in shorts.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OMG! What on earth is this world coming too ? Seriously its really awful and depressing. At least the justice system seems to have worked - not much consolation for the victim though :eek:

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Holy crap! I can't, NO, make that I don't like to believe this can happen but then the news shows me once again how primitive some people still are no matter where any of us live. My only question: is there "hard labor" there or just maximum security prisons? It would seem fitting that they be given hard labor for the crimes but some will argue with that thought as well and that's not the intent of the question/statement.

I would strongly agree that these waste of humans just don't care about anything, anyone or even any outcome in life, now or later. I don't like to see that people can't change but given facts from family that deals with the prison system (rehab/counseling side of things) most offenders don't change their mindset until "they" are way older and would end up loosing a battle or their life. That's where most (the one's that could change but are small in a percentage factor) start to rethink things but again at what, 50-65? I also don't want to say it, but whatever they serve is better than getting away with it and never getting caught or getting the chance to harm others for sport.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
I... Wow.. I feel more depressed then I was originally...

They should get life, seriously, if I saw the victim's face, I would puke. This is absolutely disgusting.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Holy crap! I can't, NO, make that I don't like to believe this can happen but then the news shows me once again how primitive some people still are no matter where any of us live. My only question: is there "hard labor" there or just maximum security prisons? It would seem fitting that they be given hard labor for the crimes but some will argue with that thought as well and that's not the intent of the question/statement.

I'm sure the UK has their own version of "Federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison".

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
I don't think 15-22 years is long enough. Even if the 16 year old did 22 years he'd be my age when he is released and that (I feel) is still pretty young.

On a side note, I'm not sure I'd celebrate the sentence with champagne if it were a member of my family who has been murdered.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^^ Maybe not, but at least a few high-fives would be in order.

In many cases, the sentencing seems to be so light. The reason is usually because "they're all so young," which is a lame excuse. In this case, the sentence really was what they deserved, although they also deserve to be pounded in jail. :)

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
It makes it even worse that his mother tried to cover it up. I can't believe the perversion in the mind of someone who would do something like this, and then someone who tries to let them get off with it.

.. these people should hang, what good have these two (or the arguably worse mother) got to offer the world, other than the production of more like themselves..

Yeah, I'm not much for the death penalty, but these people will do nothing but crowd the prisons, and if they're released... God almighty would that be wrong. They truly are worthless.

And people, quit saying "what is the world coming to?" Have you taken even a Jr. High-level history class? History is full of horrible crimes against humanity like the Spanish inquisition, racism and slavery, forced lobotomies of the mentally disabled and people who were nothing more than depressed. The world is no worse now than ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.