Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Do not buy Final Cut Express if you need the timecode of the imported clips to match the SMPTE timecode on your source tapes. For example, if you shoot five tapes and set the timecode of each tape with a different hour-- Reel 1 set at 1:00:00:00, reel 2 set at 2:00:00:00, FCE captures the clips as if each tape started at 00:00:00:00. If you want to move between FCE and AVID or Premiere, you are screwed.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Most users of FCE are beginners and amateurs of video editing. Mostly not using SMPTE at all, or never even heard of it.

Final Cut Express is exactly what it is, and express version.
If you need to control SMPTE and the like (batch capture), then I would advise that you spend the cash and get Final Cut Studio.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Do not buy Final Cut Express if you need the timecode of the imported clips to match the SMPTE timecode on your source tapes. For example, if you shoot five tapes and set the timecode of each tape with a different hour-- Reel 1 set at 1:00:00:00, reel 2 set at 2:00:00:00, FCE captures the clips as if each tape started at 00:00:00:00. If you want to move between FCE and AVID or Premiere, you are screwed.

That is what Final Cut Studio is for.

mojave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Beware: Final Cut Express does not take in timecode

It would be terrific if Apple would detail somewhere, anywhere, in their product description of FCE that it does not support SMPTE timecode rather than saying “Make movies like a pro.” Pros use timecode. FCS tracks timecode and there is no reason to assume that another FC product would fail to do so.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Most users of FCE are beginners and amateurs of video editing. Mostly not using SMPTE at all, or never even heard of it.

Final Cut Express is exactly what it is, and express version.
If you need to control SMPTE and the like (batch capture), then I would advise that you spend the cash and get Final Cut Studio.

Thank god you put that. I bought FCE 4 when it came and and was thinking for a second I'd wasted my money :D

One quick question. What is SMPTE?

mojave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Beware: Final Cut Express does not take in timecode

I'm shooting DVCam SD and HD with timecode-- 29.95 non-drop. FCE regenerates it's own timecode during capture. It doesn't capture the timecode that's on the source reels. I've been over this with Apple support. No one at Apple will offer an explanation as to why this decision was made. All they'll say is "That's the way it was designed, so it is working correctly." That's their decision to make but I wish they had detailed it in their pre-sales literature. Or maybe they should have considered not putting the FC brand on it. Maybe they should have called it, say, iMovie. I just don't like paying $200 for something that's of no use to me. Is it of any use to anyone out there? I'll sell it to you at a discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.