PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates interview about Longhorn

MacBytes
Oct 28, 2003, 05:13 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Bill Gates interview about Longhorn (http://news.com.com/2008-1016-5098285.html)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

johnpg
Oct 28, 2003, 06:46 PM
Sound familiar?

Sure. I think the idea that your address book should be usable by other applications, that your calendar should be accessible by other applications--that is a big part of Longhorn, because we move those rich user schemas down into the platform so that applications can all get at presence and phone numbers and annotate the address book, instead of things like each application having its own address book.

pgwalsh
Oct 28, 2003, 06:55 PM
Could he blow some more marketing smoke up are azzes

theipodgod16
Oct 28, 2003, 07:22 PM
i want to say no, but somehow, he always finds some way to top himself...:mad:

eric_n_dfw
Oct 28, 2003, 11:16 PM
Security is still a major issue for your customers. There were reports last week that some companies were reluctant to enter long-term contracts with Microsoft due to security concerns. What do you tell them about Longhorn that could change their minds?

First of all, I think you are mischaracterizing the reports. We have been very focused on helping customers with their security things, and we weren't even out there really touting these enterprise agreements like we normally do, because we have been very focused on helping people with their firewalls and updating. The two big things that stop propagation are software updating and firewall protection. In terms of keeping the update very small and flowing automatically, there is a lot that we need to do.

On the firewall side, we have articulated exactly how we are going to make that easy to audit and do super well. Our challenge is that because of the density of our systems, we have to block propagation, and the two ways to do that are to make sure people are up-to-date or turn on firewalls. So that's where we have a clear path to go through those things with customers in the coming months, to make sure that they are not having these security problems.

Spoken like the Iraqi Information Minister, eh? "There are no security issues. The Blaster worm and it's 7 other incarnations are all lies."
:rolleyes:

zamyatin
Oct 29, 2003, 07:34 PM
Sort of on-topic here...

If I were creating a Linux distribution today, I'd call it Cowboy Linux. Why? First, it does sound cool, but secondly, because cowboys rope, herd, brand, and yes, eat, longhorn cows every day.

Note: Longhorns are a type of cow, so what dumb company would call its OS a cow? "Microsoft Windows Cow Operating System" I like it!