PDA

View Full Version : Help! iBook G3 logic board went bad!!

Wireless Buddy
Feb 29, 2008, 02:30 PM
How do I fix it? I assume the Repair program is expired, so how would I go about fixing it myself? A step-by-step would be very helpful! :(

Wireless Buddy
Feb 29, 2008, 03:36 PM
How do I fix it? I assume the Repair program is expired, so how would I go about fixing it myself? A step-by-step would be very helpful! :(

So I just thought the display was messed up, but my trackpad isn't working, either. I plugged in my external mouse and it didn't light up like it usually does. Is this normal for this issue, or is this computer even more screwed up?

MacDaddy08
Feb 29, 2008, 07:40 PM
Here you go. Take a look at the instructions to replace your logic board. It definitely sounds like a logic board problem to me. However, I can not be sure.
Take a look:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBook-G3-14-Inch/Logic-Board/51/17/

Shoeguy
Apr 24, 2008, 05:13 PM
For what its worth I have cured two dual USB white iBooks, with what the guy at the Apple genius bar diagnosed as a "bad logic board". These laptops have a notorious problem of the graphics card losing connection with that logic board.
I have big hands, so I flip the iBook over (closed of course) with the USB sockets to the left and the vent holes to the right, braced against my legs. I take my thumbs and do a serious mashing of the bottom of the computer mostly concentrating on the area under the left palm rest to reseat the card. It's worked for me. The take it apart and re-melt the solder option looks like a nightmare. Try mine first. If it works for you, its like magic.

Wireless Buddy
Apr 24, 2008, 05:26 PM
For what its worth I have cured two dual USB white iBooks, with what the guy at the Apple genius bar diagnosed as a "bad logic board". These laptops have a notorious problem of the graphics card losing connection with that logic board.
I have big hands, so I flip the iBook over (closed of course) with the USB sockets to the left and the vent holes to the right, braced against my legs. I take my thumbs and do a serious mashing of the bottom of the computer mostly concentrating on the area under the left palm rest to reseat the card. It's worked for me. The take it apart and re-melt the solder option looks like a nightmare. Try mine first. If it works for you, its like magic.

I kind of do what you said, but it's not a good fix. I have to do it everytime I turn on the computer, and you can't really move it while you're using it or it locks up. The biggest thing that locks up the iBook is when I have it sitting on a table and there are sudden vibrations (like somebody putting a book down on the other side of the table).

I'm probably just going to find some place to reball the solder for a not-too-outrageous price.

CanadaRAM
Apr 24, 2008, 05:34 PM
The other thing I have read about is placing some kind of (non conductive, heat tolerant) shim in the area that needs pressure, to deliver a constant push on the logic board.

Wireless Buddy
Apr 24, 2008, 05:39 PM
The other thing I have read about is placing some kind of (non conductive, heat tolerant) shim in the area that needs pressure, to deliver a constant push on the logic board.

Yeah, I did that too. This computer is beyond "Band-Aid" fixes. It needs to be repaired for good.

SkyBell
Apr 26, 2008, 01:13 PM
Well, then about all you can do is buy a new logic board, and follow the instructions that someone posted above. But let me tell you, I've gotten inside one of those things, and I don't think it's worth the trouble. Having to disassemble the entire computer is a real pain, and putting it back together, a number of things could go wrong very quickly.

Do you actually have data on there that you need? If so, you could just take out the HDD and put it in another iBook, or buy an external case, and hook it up to another Mac.

vniow
Apr 27, 2008, 01:56 PM
You don't repair it. You buy another computer, transfer your data over and scrap the thing. Replacing a logic board on a dead iBook is not worth the cost of the hassle. Time to move on. I advise not getting another G3, especially an 800-900 since they all get that issue at some point in their lives. You can get a G4 for a bit more than a logic board for your model on iFixit and it will be much less hassle.

bluedoggiant
Apr 27, 2008, 02:39 PM
Well, seems like you don't really need a new computer, but its time to switch over to intel, so at least a macbook refurb should do you well, plenty more power, features, and other goodies im sure you will appreciate, you can connect the two (ibook and macbook) via firewire target disk mode or w/e its called.

ReBeLaCe
Apr 27, 2008, 10:23 PM
def. shouldn't even be a thought in your head to actually repair it. buy a newer generation laptop with an applecare warranty and everything.

krye
Apr 28, 2008, 10:05 AM
A G3? You can buy a used G3 on ebay for $150! I'd call it a day. Why spend the money on an old junker? Wouldn't that money be better spent on a new machine? You had a good run, now put that old dog out to pasture!

Wireless Buddy
Apr 28, 2008, 11:06 AM
You had a good run, now put that old dog out to pasture!

The point is I didn't. I bought it used in November 2007.

KitMarlowe
May 13, 2008, 10:43 PM
I just did it on my ibook G3 dual usb.

See:

http://www.teachertube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=3934642e8584a58e5e10

I got a heat gun for $30. I didn't have a heat shield so I used aluminum foil and a tile on top of that. The tile I used started to melt so I would recommend that. Maybe a more heat resistant tile in which you can cut a 1 inch square.

75 seconds of heat at low at 3 or 4 inches away. Then 75 seconds on high at 2 inches away. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes and it works like new!

enjoeneer
May 15, 2008, 08:49 PM
Fixed!
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&node=home/shop_mac/family/macbook&sf=wHF2F2PHCCCX72KDY

:D