Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanmoonie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
I had posted earlier about my 1.8GHZ G5 kept shutting down all the time. Well I brought it over to the local Apple dealer and told them what was wrong with it. They had to replace the power supply of course but my baby is fixed...... thank god!

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Well, what is it like using a G5. Compared to a G3, or G4. How fast does if feel? Was it worth it?

stanmoonie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
G5,G4,G3

I have one of each a G3IMac A G4 and a !.8 GHZ G5. The difference? one thing is speed the G5 is soooo fast I have a hard time using the G3. I personnally feel that the G5 had alot of thought in the design, Steve Jobs really put something into this. I admit he was not the one who designed the nuts and bolts of this baby but look what is included.... firewire 2, usb 2, 8x graphices board, the desin of the fans ect. My only problem was my power supply crapped out but if I had a choice I would buy another in a heart beat. If you buy a G5 don't buy the 1.6Ghz model you will be kicking yourself in the butt later when companies start selling products that use what included in the 1.8 Ghz and dual 2 Ghz models.... Sorry I did not repy sooner I have been alittle under the weather....

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by Coca-Cola
Well, what is it like using a G5. Compared to a G3, or G4. How fast does if feel? Was it worth it?

Hey Coca, I have a 1.8 G5 and I can tell you it's a great machine. If it was up to me, perhaps now id go for 15" pbook , since i'm missing some mobility. But overall, i cant find one bad thing to say about G5. They perform great.
I had a small issue with digital to analog converter with my older monitor but now that i got a new apple flat panel display, everything is zoomy... :D

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Re: G5,G4,G3

Originally posted by stanmoonie
..... If you buy a G5 don't buy the 1.6Ghz model you will be kicking yourself in the butt later when companies start selling products that use what included in the 1.8 Ghz and dual 2 Ghz models.... Sorry I did not repy sooner I have been alittle under the weather....

I'm a new "switcher" and bought a G5 1.6 with bluetooth and superdrive. I'm very happy with it. Quiet, fast, well thought out design. Yes, I wish that I could have the PCI X and it is a slightly slower bus speed and I can only put 4 gig of ram instead of 8. BUT, I'm not a graphics pro. This is a home computer for use by the entire family.....M$ Office, email, internet, iTunes, iPhoto. Realitively simple stuff. I love the OS and the multiple user ability. Keeps everyone's stuff separate.....nice. Just about to install Panther. Don't knock the 1.6. It's not as "gee whiz" as the 1.8 or dualie but it's still pretty darn neat.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Re: Re: G5,G4,G3

Originally posted by zagato27
I'm a new "switcher" and bought a G5 1.6 with bluetooth and superdrive. I'm very happy with it. Quiet, fast, well thought out design. Yes, I wish that I could have the PCI X and it is a slightly slower bus speed and I can only put 4 gig of ram instead of 8. BUT, I'm not a graphics pro. This is a home computer for use by the entire family.....M$ Office, email, internet, iTunes, iPhoto. Realitively simple stuff. I love the OS and the multiple user ability. Keeps everyone's stuff separate.....nice. Just about to install Panther. Don't knock the 1.6. It's not as "gee whiz" as the 1.8 or dualie but it's still pretty darn neat.

I'm glad you like your G5. And noone knocks 1.6 off the table. It's a great machine and seems to be a great choice for you man (considering what you said you are going to do with it). For those programs you won't even need 4gbs of ram. In fact 1GB will be plenty. ANd I doubt PCIX is as necessary as some make it soound.

And don't forget you have two advantages over 1.8 and Dual!
#1 It's quieter.
#2 It's alot cheaper. (without DVDRW and with student discount it costs around $1700)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.