my MacBook's connection is one bar short of full
my iMac is full

my iMac can use the internet as normal
my MacBook isn't

any help or ideas?

Thanks!

scienide09
Mar 1, 2008, 09:23 AM
What do you mean when you say your MacBook is not able to use Internet normally?

On your MacBook:
Are your able to connect at all (easily load web pages)?
Are you connecting, but pages load really slowly?

Are you sure your iMac and your MacBook are connecting to the same wireless connection? One of them could be picking up a different signal.

Hankster
Mar 1, 2008, 09:28 AM
What specific issues are you having? Are you unable to connect?

bigbadnewill
Mar 1, 2008, 09:36 AM
My MacBook, sitting directly next to my iMac
is connected to the same wireless network
off my airport wireless

my MacBook's connection is one bar short of full
my iMac is full

my iMac can use the internet as normal
my MacBook isn't

any help or ideas?

Thanks!

I had the same issue, but vice versa when I first got my Macbook last week. I could connect fine with my Macbook, but my iMac was having none of it...until i turned them both off and only turned my iMac on.

However, i fiddled for HOURS to no avail, setting the ip address manually etc on the iMac. I awoke the next day to find it was all ok!

I'm just crossing my fingers now that it won't happen again. Does your macbook have an ip address assigned to it?

brop52
Mar 1, 2008, 04:11 PM
If you have an IP address conflict you will have problems. Let it configure itself by first turning everything off after setting your network settings on both computers on airport and automatic. (Unplug modem and router and shut down computers).

Next, plug in the modem and let it load up with all the lights. Next, plug in the router and let it do its thing.

Last, turn on your iMac and let it connect and make sure the internet works. Automatic - Airport should be enabled and will work its magic.

Last +1, turn on your Macbook and do the same. You shouldn't have anything manually done. Set on airport and automatic should take care of everything.

Benson-uk
Mar 1, 2008, 06:19 PM
Yep... i have the same problem, sometimes when im next to the router ill still only have like 1 bar signal!

Can i ask if your bluetooth is working correctly, mine allows me to send but not receive. Maybe it is a driver issue???

Crow47
Mar 2, 2008, 08:34 AM
Well you seem to be having a common issue with the Macbook not having the best wireless. Mine isn't that great. It seems to fluctuate all the time and loading pages is very difficult 70% of the time. You just kind of have to work with it. If you still want internet on you Macbook while it's next to your imac then get an ethernet cable and turn on internet sharing on your imac.

Benson-uk
Mar 2, 2008, 11:16 AM
My old core duo macbook was full signal all over the house... now with my santa rosa macbook is is terrible... rang up apple care and they say it is a hardware failure... would get it fixed but havent got the time to drive all the way to my nearest repair store... why should i pay transport cost to get my new laptop fixed when its not my problem!