PDA

View Full Version : Just did it... Now to get rid of the powerbook

wayland1985
Mar 1, 2008, 02:24 PM
My powerbook finally ticked me off enough for me to order a new peryn MBP. I also read poor reviews of Office 2008, so I opted for the iWork instead (I hope it works out well... if not, I still have 1 install on Office 2004). In addition I purchased 4 gb of ram from crucial.

Needless to say, my bank account needs replenishing. I want to sell my powerbook g4. What precautions do I need to take into account before selling it?

Obviously I need to wipe the hard drive. What's teh best way?
Also, do I need to un-register my name from the laptop through apple?
Should I include the original software that came with the laptop?
Should I pre-install leopard on it? Or should I just use the original tiger? Or should I leave the HD blank?

Let me know!

latestmonkey
Mar 1, 2008, 02:31 PM
My powerbook finally ticked me off enough for me to order a new peryn MBP. I also read poor reviews of Office 2008, so I opted for the iWork instead (I hope it works out well... if not, I still have 1 install on Office 2004). In addition I purchased 4 gb of ram from crucial.

Needless to say, my bank account needs replenishing. I want to sell my powerbook g4. What precautions do I need to take into account before selling it?

Obviously I need to wipe the hard drive. What's teh best way?
Also, do I need to un-register my name from the laptop through apple?
Should I include the original software that came with the laptop?
Should I pre-install leopard on it? Or should I just use the original tiger? Or should I leave the HD blank?

Let me know!

I am doing the same thing. I've got the Tiger install disks so I'm including that with the computer and installing it fresh for the buyer. If the user is tech savvy and wants to install something else, it's no big deal. But if it's just a new mac user, it's best to boot up instead of having a blank HD when you get it in the mail.

I erased with disk utility and did a zero out all data. That took an hour or so. Then I copied a 1.5 GB file about 40 times to the drive just to be sure. Then I formatted it again. :) I'm slightly paranoid.

One thing I forgot to do was deauthorize my computer via itunes. Remember to do that.