PDA

View Full Version : Refurbished iPhones from AT&T?

MacRumors
Mar 1, 2008, 06:12 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

BoyGeniusReports (http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/02/29/att-stores-to-offer-refurbished-iphones-with-new-activations-199-and-249/) claims that they have seen an internal AT&T memo referencing refurbished iPhones for only $199 (4GB) and $249 (8GB). These are to be unadvertised specials, however, and only in special regions:
Refurbished iPhones will only be available to purchase in select COR stores across the Northeast Region and will be available while supplies last. Please reach out to customers that have recently purchased an iPhone to see if they are interested in activating an additional iPhone at a discounted equipment cost. Please note no in-store sales materials should be created. This is to be sold as a closing tool only.
So, it may be difficult to find out where these deals might be.

BoyGeniusReport's track record on rumors has been mixed (Jay Z at Macworld (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/02/jay-z-and-apple-to-launch-record-label-at-macworld/)), though we have no reason to doubt the authenticity of this memo.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/03/01/refurbished-iphones-from-atandt/)

moreAAPLplz
Mar 1, 2008, 06:56 PM
It's true, my friend picked one up today for $249 and I'm mad because I just bought one Tuesday for $349. The store got them yesterday.

Doctor Q
Mar 1, 2008, 07:06 PM
So, it may be difficult to find out where these deals might be.But this is the Internet! I'm sure someone will create a website to track the AT&T deals any minute now.

arn
Mar 1, 2008, 07:11 PM
It's true, my friend picked one up today for $249 and I'm mad because I just bought one Tuesday for $349. The store got them yesterday.

Where did he get it?

arn

ArtOfWarfare
Mar 1, 2008, 07:15 PM
Sweet!

iPhones are suddenly in my price range!

too bad it's only in select stores though... refurbisheds tend to go fast too...

mlg32
Mar 1, 2008, 08:01 PM
i tried to call stores on the west coast then tried att direct sales global and No refurbished phones in stock and the operator had not heard of any ever being sold, I was advised to shop apple stores or apple online for any and all refurbished iphones.....hmmmm

MLeepson
Mar 1, 2008, 08:08 PM
I called several in northern New Jersey all acknowledging the refurbs, one even saying that he's getting them next week, another saying that she doesn't know if they're getting any all. I then called a store in New York City and he said the store had both 4 gigs and 8 gigs in there. I know where I'll be tomorrow.

To sum it up: the memo is real.

mlg32
Mar 1, 2008, 08:14 PM
I called several in northern New Jersey all acknowledging the refurbs, one even saying that he's getting them next week, another saying that she doesn't know if they're getting any all. I then called a store in New York City and he said the store had both 4 gigs and 8 gigs in there. I know where I'll be tomorrow.

To sum it up: the memo is real.
i wonder why the fellow on Att global sales supposedly to be the know it all , know nothing??dang it

houdinize
Mar 1, 2008, 08:27 PM
I am writing my first post on my refurbished iPhone I got for $249. A friend works for at&t and called me. I had to run over while he held it. They don't last long.

Mar 1, 2008, 08:50 PM
They're on the Apple store right now.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=44BD9AA3&nclm=Certified%20iPhone

But have they always been available or is this new, because i'm confused if whether or not this thread is referencing the special price for them or about buying them from at&t stores.

MLeepson
Mar 1, 2008, 09:18 PM
They're on the Apple store right now.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=44BD9AA3&nclm=Certified%20iPhone

But have they always been available or is this new, because i'm confused if whether or not this thread is referencing the special price for them or about buying them from at&t stores.

The one's at the Apple Store are more expensive and the Apple Store doesn't have 4 gig iPhones.

aross99
Mar 1, 2008, 09:32 PM
I saw these in the AT&T online store also...

mlg32
Mar 1, 2008, 09:48 PM
I saw these in the AT&T online store also...

Can you provide link to this ? thanks

aross99
Mar 1, 2008, 10:12 PM
Can you provide link to this ? thanks

They are gone now. Even the link from my history doesn't show them now. Maybe AT&T is not really ready to release the refurbs yet? I'll keep looking and post a link if they show up again...

Csmitte
Mar 1, 2008, 10:27 PM
nice they need to sell all the old ones and start selling the 16gb for 399!:eek:

cvahl
Mar 1, 2008, 11:03 PM
Is it still the case that I would have to start the contract via iTunes, or is it different when I would buy it in an AT&T store? I'll probably move back to Europe in a few months, so I do not want to have a 2year contract in the US...

yoman
Mar 1, 2008, 11:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

this is good news. A lower price point will definately get more people hooked onto the iPhone train. Developers will have to come. Assuming Apple doesn't discourage them.

djdole
Mar 2, 2008, 03:05 AM
Since when does AT&T do the iPhone hardware servicing?
Last I checked, all repairs and replacements were done by Apple, not AT&T.
So wouldn't it be Apple who would be most likely to be refurbishing iPhones?

My bet is that AT&T is just trying to liquidate their remaining assets.
Hopefully prior to a new hardware release. v2.0 Please?
Pretty Please!?! :p

geekmommy4
Mar 2, 2008, 08:34 AM

I don't know who does the refurbishing, but AT&T often has refurbished phones that they aren't just trying to liquidate. For example, I bought a refurbished Treo 650 almsot 3 years ago that was in terrific condition and they sold them for full price for a long time after that. (BTW, it was still working well when I bought my iPhone a couple of weeks ago, so their refurbs can be great deals!) My husband bought a refurb Treo 680 about 6 months ago and they still have them at full price.

So, I wouldn't be reading anything into them having refurbs...they want to make some profit on the ones that get returned and fixed.

! V !
Mar 2, 2008, 09:00 AM
This makes the iPod Touch seem overpriced. :eek:

! V !
Mar 2, 2008, 09:02 AM
I don't know who does the refurbishing, but AT&T often has refurbished phones that they aren't just trying to liquidate. For example, I bought a refurbished Treo 650 almsot 3 years ago that was in terrific condition and they sold them for full price for a long time after that. (BTW, it was still working well when I bought my iPhone a couple of weeks ago, so their refurbs can be great deals!) My husband bought a refurb Treo 680 about 6 months ago and they still have them at full price.

So, I wouldn't be reading anything into them having refurbs...they want to make some profit on the ones that get returned and fixed.

Anything to pad the companies bottom-line. ;)

! V !
Mar 2, 2008, 09:03 AM

Taking a page from :apple: supply and demand model before releasing an update to a product line.

Version 2.0 seems very near. :D

Slayerboym88
Mar 2, 2008, 10:49 AM
Taking a page from :apple: supply and demand model before releasing an update to a product line.

Version 2.0 seems very near. :D

Maybe then the 3G models really will be coming in May?! Here's hoping!

iPegboy
Mar 2, 2008, 10:50 AM
I had looked into AT&T's refurbed policy because I was looking to buy a Tilt for my wife, and they take the phones that have been used within the 30 day money back policy and sell them as refurbed. i'm not sure if they give them new cases or not.

this is their web page:
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/refurb-phones.jsp

no iPhones right now. but damn, i would be all over one for $249.

Cybergypsy
Mar 2, 2008, 11:02 AM
I bought 2 4G at 199 each central florida.......

iStefmac
Mar 2, 2008, 11:05 AM
Sounds to me like they're clearing house to make way for new 3G stock :D

ellisongs
Mar 2, 2008, 11:26 AM
Suburban Detroit stores that I called this morning know nothing about this.

larriveejp
Mar 2, 2008, 01:15 PM
Anybody have any luck in the Dallas area with these? I've struck out all over Plano, Allen, and McKinney.

Hing
Mar 2, 2008, 03:20 PM
i want to know are the refurbish one any good.(dent, or damages)

shir
Mar 2, 2008, 06:01 PM
I bought a refurbished 4GB iPhone for $199 plus tax at the AT&T store on 86th btw 2/3rd this morning around 11am. They didn't have 8GB in stock and said this price was for new customers only (though I haven't made a contract with anyone yet).

cvahl
Mar 2, 2008, 06:36 PM
I bought a refurbished 4GB iPhone for $199 plus tax at the AT&T store on 86th btw 2/3rd this morning around 11am. They didn't have 8GB in stock and said this price was for new customers only (though I haven't made a contract with anyone yet).

Congrats on that! Maybe, I should try to do the same here in Boston...

larriveejp
Mar 2, 2008, 08:17 PM

A few questions for you:

What's the condition of the phone (basically new, some dings, etc.)?
Did it come with all original packaging/accessories?
Did they mention the length of the warranty?

Thanks for the answers if you have the time. I called AT&T today, and it seems I'm out of luck in Dallas. They also said the warranty on these phones was only 30 days. Curious to know if that is correct or not.

Cybergypsy
Mar 2, 2008, 08:29 PM
Perfect condition! and I never asked about the warranty was just happy to get them at all. Came complete like a new iphone, cant tell they are refurbs.

cvahl
Mar 2, 2008, 09:18 PM
@cybergypsy

Did you have to sign a contract? I was at an AT&T store today, and they told me that they didn't get the refurbished iPhones so far, but they would anyway just be sold to people that sign the 2 year contract in the store. That won't work for me, cause I'll leave the US in a few months...

MacMan33
Mar 3, 2008, 12:31 AM
is this due to the new design coming up and 3g?

houdinize
Mar 3, 2008, 04:54 AM
A few questions for you:

What's the condition of the phone (basically new, some dings, etc.)?
Did it come with all original packaging/accessories?
Did they mention the length of the warranty?

Thanks for the answers if you have the time. I called AT&T today, and it seems I'm out of luck in Dallas. They also said the warranty on these phones was only 30 days. Curious to know if that is correct or not.

The 8gb phone I got was in perfect condition with the plastic on the screen and all newly wrapped accessories. It was just in a generic at&t box that said refurb kit.

topher2889
Mar 3, 2008, 10:18 AM
Anyone see any of these pop up in the midwest. I'm in Madison, WI and would love to get my hands one of these. Can't beat $250!

gkarris
Mar 3, 2008, 10:28 AM
Anyone see any of these pop up in the midwest. I'm in Madison, WI and would love to get my hands one of these. Can't beat $250!

Nothing in Chicago - the lady at the store said that around here it's a "rumor"... :(

Why would AT&T bother spending the money to ship them all over the country? They know that they'll sell out no matter where they decide to sell them...

jeffsab
Mar 3, 2008, 10:39 AM
In anticipation of buying an iPhone for myself, I ordered new AT&T service for my wife through the AT&T Premiere web site (for eligible corporate discounts). I called and asked if they were able to sell me a refurbished iPhone as part of that order I was told they do not have any. It's really too bad this is a retail-store-only deal.

topher2889
Mar 3, 2008, 12:05 PM
Why would AT&T bother spending the money to ship them all over the country? They know that they'll sell out no matter where they decide to sell them...

True I suppose, but why do the coasts always get the love? I think the midwest has a shortage of iPhone users :rolleyes: this could help counter that!

Hing
Mar 3, 2008, 12:10 PM
i got one today in maryland:D sucks that they need you to sign a 2yrs contract.

KIDLARK
Mar 3, 2008, 01:31 PM
My wife just tried to pick me up a phone at an NYC midtown store, but they told her that she would have to add a NEW LINE in the store, then she could by the refurbed phone for me to setup with iTunes. The stores want that credit for adding lines. I thought that wasn't how things were supposed to work with iPhone?! I can see where they're coming from - wanting to sign people up with new activiation - but it's just a bummer because current AT&T customers can't upgrade to iPhone.

I'm pretty sure this is just the single location store's policy. I wouldn't think all AT&T stores carrying the refurbished phones is being this stingy with them!

:apple:

Federico
Mar 3, 2008, 02:04 PM
@cybergypsy

Did you have to sign a contract? I was at an AT&T store today, and they told me that they didn't get the refurbished iPhones so far, but they would anyway just be sold to people that sign the 2 year contract in the store. That won't work for me, cause I'll leave the US in a few months...

i got one today in maryland:D sucks that they need you to sign a 2yrs contract.

FYI with ATT you can sign the 2 year contract and cancel it later (just don't make any call) within 30 days, you do not have to pay the $175 termination fee. This is an ATT Policy (remember cancel the service but tell them that you want yo keep the iphone), a lot o people did that few months ago :D

Cybergypsy
Mar 3, 2008, 02:55 PM
@cybergypsy

Did you have to sign a contract? I was at an AT&T store today, and they told me that they didn't get the refurbished iPhones so far, but they would anyway just be sold to people that sign the 2 year contract in the store. That won't work for me, cause I'll leave the US in a few months... No just walked out with the phones.......

gkarris
Mar 3, 2008, 03:40 PM
No just walked out with the phones.......

I think your store must have sold them to you incorrectly. I would think for that price, you have to sign up with them.

How is this going to stop resellers from buying them up and unlocking them to sell at a premium?

Cybergypsy
Mar 3, 2008, 04:20 PM
I think your store must have sold them to you incorrectly. I would think for that price, you have to sign up with them.

How is this going to stop resellers from buying them up and unlocking them to sell at a premium?

Not sure but I do have a friend at the store, they guy was the one i bought the 16G one from

Bobjob186
Mar 3, 2008, 04:49 PM
I live in california, does anyone want to help me out and pick me up a refurb iphone from att store? pm if you'd be down to make some money on helping me out.

-Bob

aneftp
Mar 3, 2008, 07:05 PM
True I suppose, but why do the coasts always get the love? I think the midwest has a shortage of iPhone users :rolleyes: this could help counter that!

Sorry to inform you but read the original post at boygenius.......refurbished iphones are only available at Northeast ATT corp. stores.

That's why people in Chicago, Dallas, California haven't been able to get their hands on one of those refurbished phones yet.

FYI, I live in Northern Virginia and they seem to have plenty of them. Just have to call around. Some stores sold out over the weekend. Some still had them in stock today, although they were very suspicious of me when I came in asking specifically for a refurbished iPhone. I gave them my ID and my att phone number and after that, they were fine. I did not have to activate the two iPhones I brought for $250 each today. I am not reselling these iPhones, one is for my backup and the other I got to unlock for my brother who has Tmobile.

agentornge33
Mar 3, 2008, 07:40 PM
just picked up a 4GB & a 8GB iphone at the AT&T store in the Natick Collection Mall. This is upstairs on the 2nd floor - not the kiosk and not the one across from the Olive Garden nearby. The people there are mad cool and didn't have any problems just asking for them. I was the first person to buy the refurbs from them and they've had them since Friday. According to Jacques, they have a box full of them. Too bad for the person who called early Friday asking if they had any in stock - they got them later in the day but they have plenty of them now! go get em...

other places I've checked:

1. Central Square - Cambridge = NONE
2. Alewife - Cambridge = NONE
3. Winter St./Waltham = NONE
4. 50-60 Worcester Rd, Natick = NONE
5. 1245 Worcester Rd, Natick (2nd Floor, inside the mall) = HELL YES!

Just returned the $500, 16GB iPhone I bought a week ago and am happy with an 8GB for half the price - and even bought the 4GB for my fiance...:)

Eric Lewis
Mar 3, 2008, 07:45 PM
any pictures?

please? can i see some?

yguns27
Mar 4, 2008, 08:41 AM
I bought one from ATT yesterday in NY. It seems like most of the stores here in the city carry them.

The only trick is that you can't buy and walk out of them with it. You must open an account with ATT on the spot and they will give you a PIN code to enter when you register with iTunes. If you are an existing customer with ATT, they won't let you get one (at least that's what the guy told me).

As for the phone, its perfect. It comes all pre-packed and all the accessories looks brand new. The phone is covered by warranty - by Apple. Also, the refurb was done by Apple so there is a warranty of 1 year just like any iPhones.

Finally, if your ATT doesn't carry it, at current 9:35am est, there is an Apple iPhone on the Apple website - refurb for $349.

Cybergypsy
Mar 4, 2008, 09:15 AM
Not true, i bought a few and never had to activate, said they were gifts....

stilesja@us.ibm
Mar 4, 2008, 11:14 AM
Ok, I didn't buy one of these refurb kits, but my iPhone had the little bubbles in it so I went to have it replaced and the apple store gave me a refurb from a little white box. It looked brand new, not a scratch on it, plastic on the screen. I though wow this is great, just like getting a new phone, seeing as my original phone was from the launch day I thought that was great.

Not so much. The battery life on this refurb is WAY worse than my old phone. I must assume they don't swap the batteries in a refurb but still, my phone was as old as they come and its battery life was still great... granted I am not the heaviest user, I don't really listen to music or watch videos etc... but who ever had this thing before me really wore out the battery.

I'm not sure what to do about it now... thinking about calling apple again, but I'd probably just get another refurb with questionable battery life...

Norris3eb
Mar 5, 2008, 09:13 AM
Anybody have any luck in the Dallas area with these? I've struck out all over Plano, Allen, and McKinney.

I'm from Plano, and have 2 friends working for AT&T. I'll try my best to keep a lookout for ya.

nicksopp
Mar 5, 2008, 11:09 AM
All of the corporate stores I've called said they never carry refurbished phones, are people getting these at authorized dealers? also, anyone know of people who have gotten them in western new york or pittsburgh?

larriveejp
Mar 5, 2008, 06:05 PM
I'm from Plano, and have 2 friends working for AT&T. I'll try my best to keep a lookout for ya.

Much appreciated!

stylesjl
Mar 6, 2008, 06:52 AM
I'd really like to know about stores in Florida doing this. I have contacted Cybergypsy, waiting to hear back from him today.

Every store I have called thus far has no clue what I'm talking about. I even called AT&T directly off their website number and even they had no idea.

brody1223
Mar 6, 2008, 06:23 PM
Friend tried to pick on up in NH, but wouldn't let him without signing two year contract.

nickXedge
Mar 6, 2008, 10:06 PM
I went to an AT&T store outside the Smithaven mall and the woman told me "That's not our market. We don't do refurbished." Obviously she's an idiot cause if you got ATT.com/wireless they have a whole page of refubished phones.

So then I went to the store inside the Smithaven mall (suffolk county), where I asked the guy "Do you have refurbished iPhones?" and he said to me with a smile, "Yep, you want a 4 gig or 8 gig?"

I bought (2) 4 gigs, one for me and one for my dad. The space isn't an issue as I have a 16GB iPod Touch. I got AppleCare on both.

Edit: They were $199 each and I didn't have to sign any contract whatsoever.

aneftp
Mar 7, 2008, 08:39 AM
Friend tried to pick on up in NH, but wouldn't let him without signing two year contract.

Are you a current ATT customer? Did they just ask for ID or they want your SSN number.

I've brought 5 refurbished iPhones this week (from 4 different att corp. stores) and just gave them my att cell phone number along with my Driver's License and they never made me sign up for any contract.

All they did was ask me if I wanted any instructions on the phone or if I knew how to activate the phone via iTunes.

It was a very simple transaction (took less than minutes)

I live in the Northern Virginia area.

brody1223
Mar 7, 2008, 09:44 AM
I live in the Midwest, so my friend in NH was trying to pick one up for me. Trying to find out if the store will just ship one to me. Why is it some stores don't care who buys them and other stores make such a big deal about it. Don't the stores want the volume of business in the stores?

OC513
Mar 7, 2008, 11:18 AM
I called the AT&T store in Roosevelt Field Mall.....they had 4 and 8 gigs available......I have one and my wife does not.....both on AT&T Family plan.......walked in and bought the phone no problem.....it took less than 5 minutes......just ported my wife's number thru Itunes when I was activating at home......extra $20 a month for the iPhone plan and she was up and running.....paid $249 for the 8gig.

stylesjl
Mar 7, 2008, 11:22 AM
Anyone know any Florida stores offering this deal?

larriveejp
Mar 7, 2008, 06:38 PM
I called the AT&T store in Roosevelt Field Mall.....they had 4 and 8 gigs available......I have one and my wife does not.....both on AT&T Family plan.......walked in and bought the phone no problem.....it took less than 5 minutes......just ported my wife's number thru Itunes when I was activating at home......extra $20 a month for the iPhone plan and she was up and running.....paid $249 for the 8gig.

This is the only store that I called that would verify the refurbs even exist. They wouldn't ship them, however (at least not for me). The national AT&T number acknowledged they exist, but said they couldn't be sold over the phone.

I don't get it.

siniux
Mar 8, 2008, 10:43 AM
Hi there!
I'm from Portugal but I've got a friend staying on Pulaski, near Syracuse, and I wanted him to get me one of those refurbished 4Gb iPhones.
I've been on Google Maps looking for AT+T stores near where he is, but I'm afraid of sending him on a wild goose chase.
Anyway, the point is: Does anyone know a store near Pulaski with the refurbished?

jeffsab
Mar 13, 2008, 12:56 PM
Well, after more than a week of trying to get one of these refurbs, I finally managed to score one. A friend who lives in the DC area just bought 2 in Northern VA today, 8GB models for $250 each.

My friend said the clerk at the store was a bit of a jerk, initially refusing to sell to him as he was not an ATT customer and insisting that he had to activate the phones in the store. So my friend called me and I just gave the clerk my wife's ATT cell number and that seemed to satisfy the clerk.

These were from the second shipment of refurb iPhones that this store had received, so my advice to those still looking is to keep calling every day. Good luck.

LuisT
Mar 13, 2008, 07:47 PM
Ah... Now the thing.. Do you need to have to have a 2 year contract to use it? Because, I want to purchase one, but I want to unlock it to where it goes with tmobile :)

Thanks!

jeffsab
Mar 14, 2008, 05:11 AM
Ah... Now the thing.. Do you need to have to have a 2 year contract to use it? Because, I want to purchase one, but I want to unlock it to where it goes with tmobile :)

Thanks!

Although I will be using mine on ATT and signing up for a regular contract, my friend has already unlocked his and is using it with T-Mobile.

djorn2k
Mar 14, 2008, 01:28 PM
What part of Virginia? any county or city will be nice. I have a friend who lives in Virginia and DC area? can you specific which store? thanks.

Well, after more than a week of trying to get one of these refurbs, I finally managed to score one. A friend who lives in the DC area just bought 2 in Northern VA today, 8GB models for $250 each.

My friend said the clerk at the store was a bit of a jerk, initially refusing to sell to him as he was not an ATT customer and insisting that he had to activate the phones in the store. So my friend called me and I just gave the clerk my wife's ATT cell number and that seemed to satisfy the clerk.

These were from the second shipment of refurb iPhones that this store had received, so my advice to those still looking is to keep calling every day. Good luck.

jeffsab
Mar 14, 2008, 11:20 PM
What part of Virginia? any county or city will be nice. I have a friend who lives in Virginia and DC area? can you specific which store? thanks.

My friend lives in Great Falls and purchrased them at a store in Sterling.

siniux
Mar 15, 2008, 04:50 AM
any store in Syracuse or in NYC?
No activation, please. :D

jeffsab
Mar 15, 2008, 11:34 AM
My refurb iPhone arrived in the mail today. Oddly enough, it was working right out of the box without activating. I was able to browse the web, watch YouTube, etc. over my home wifi network. I had thought it would be unable to do anything until activation through iTunes. Oh and it came with 1.13 firmware.

Anyway, currently waiting for service activation to transfer my number from Sprint...

paulold
Mar 15, 2008, 02:49 PM
I am thinking of getting a refurbished iPhone. I'm hoping for a 3G iPhone to be released later this year, so the lower pricetag for a refurbished phone sounds good to me, especially if I end up replacing the phone in less than a year.

I called my local AT&T store (I'm in the DC area) and asked the salesperson if he knew what they were and if they had any. He said he did and put me on hold for a very long time. He finally came back on and said they didn't have any in stock.

I asked him some details about the deal and asked if I should just call other stores in the area to see if they have them. He said don't bother. He said they probably won't say over the phone if they have them in stock. He told me I should go to the stores in person. Then he said his store might see a shipment of them come in a little later today, which to me felt more like his way of telling me he has them in stock already. Was a bit mysterious. I think I will pop on over to his store now and see if he has an 8 gig iPhone.

paulold
Mar 15, 2008, 04:10 PM
I just bought an iPhone!!! A refurbished 8g iPhone from my local AT&T store for $249. The salesperson pretty much gave me no choice but to have the account set up there in the store, maybe because I told him that I was not a current AT&T customer. I still ended up with what I wanted, so I saw no harm in letting him do the work for me.

Oh and one interesting thing to note: I told the salesperson that I wanted a refurbished phone because I think the 3G iPhone will be coming out soon and that I'll probably buy one when it does. A little later, I had asked him what the process is if I were to buy a 3G phone in the future. And he explained the steps, but thru in "when you buy the 3G phone in June or July, you'll..." June or July? Is that what the salesperson thinks or what AT&T knows? : )

doodads
Mar 15, 2008, 04:15 PM

They have them at the AT&T stores in Montgomery Mall in Bethesda and in Rockville.

alansmallen
Mar 15, 2008, 04:40 PM
i'm going in about 30 minutes to pick up an 8gb $250 iphone.
saw it and no scratches

they only thing i'm worried about is the battery

bornchilla
Mar 16, 2008, 11:33 AM
I got my 8gb refurb two weeks ago without signing anything but giving them my name. It could have been any name as they didn't want to see ID or something...

Weird thing happened last week, I went to the AT&T store to get another two refurb. iPhones. This time they wouldn't want to sell me one if I don't take a contract or register with AT&T.
I told them that the phone is a present and that they will register online via iTunes but they refused to sell me the phone without registering...
And to be honest I really wanted to buy them as presents.

They told me problem is that lots of people come to buy the phone in the store, take them home, unlock them and then the phones get bricked and end up back in the AT&T store. They told me they want to prevent that... I told them I was not planning to "brick" my phone but they still refused.

Did anyone find a good argumentation around this yet?

alansmallen
Mar 16, 2008, 12:28 PM
I got my 8gb refurb two weeks ago without signing anything but giving them my name. It could have been any name as they didn't want to see ID or something...

Weird thing happened last week, I went to the AT&T store to get another two refurb. iPhones. This time they wouldn't want to sell me one if I don't take a contract or register with AT&T.
I told them that the phone is a present and that they will register online via iTunes but they refused to sell me the phone without registering...

They told me problem is that lots of people come to buy the phone in the store, take them home, unlock them and then the phones get bricked and end up back in the AT&T store. They told me they want to prevent that... I told them I was not planning to "brick" my phone but they still refused.

grab the phone and run?

when i went to get mine they didn't ask me for anything. i was paranoid about the refurb so the guy brought out 4 for me to choose from. within an hour my number was ported from verizon and i'm really happy. with the saved 150 bucks, i'm buying an iskin revo and hopefully apple care.

chrismac00
Mar 16, 2008, 02:59 PM
I got a refurbished 8GB iPhone today at Fair Oaks Mall, VA. I am very impressed of the quality. I love it so much! Finally!:D

Aj2488
Mar 17, 2008, 12:23 AM
Does anyone know if these refurbs are or will be out in the midwest anytime soon?

idonotliketostu
Mar 17, 2008, 01:50 AM

I went to the ATT store and asked for a NEW 8GB. The salesman told me that I have to register with ATT on the spot or provide them with my ATT account. I told them it was for my friend and it wouldn't be much of a suprrise if I had to get my freind to the store to sign up.

They denied me stating that "Apple is now allowing" them to sell w/o activation due to the limited supply they receive from apple. They told me to go to the apple store if I want to buy one. :mad:

This was in NYC btw.

bornchilla
Mar 17, 2008, 05:21 AM
I went to the ATT store and asked for a NEW 8GB. The salesman told me that I have to register with ATT on the spot or provide them with my ATT account. I told them it was for my friend and it wouldn't be much of a suprrise if I had to get my freind to the store to sign up.

They denied me stating that "Apple is now allowing" them to sell w/o activation due to the limited supply they receive from apple. They told me to go to the apple store if I want to buy one. :mad:

This was in NYC btw.

Sounds like to of people's story. I guess it's kind of true but some AT&T stuff people just don't care and if you're lucky they let you go without a contract or with a simple name...

cvahl
Mar 17, 2008, 06:53 PM
It was the same for me today, I found a store in Boston that sells refurbished iPhones, but they were for new activations only, without exceptions. They also refused to sell me a new 16GB iPhone without running a credit check. Is there anything worth trying, or should I just accept it?

jingbugle
Mar 18, 2008, 03:02 AM
These are available online now at ATT...

ben1969
Mar 18, 2008, 04:38 AM
...jingbugle -- I was up early and just bought the 8gb (the only model available). The on-line checkout process only allowed me to purchase the phone.

I assumed I would need to sign up for a plan on-line (which I wouldn't have wanted to do as my Verizon contract doesn't expire for another six weeks or so), but I was told to empty my cart and purchase the phone only.

During the checkout I was told that instructions for registering/activating would be shipped with the phone and that a credit check would be part of the iTunes registration process.

My plan is to move my family account (2 phones) to ATT in six weeks and to get two new phones in the process. I'll then add the iPhone to the family plan, substituting it for my phone.

Thanks again, and to everyone else on this informative thread!

bornchilla
Mar 18, 2008, 05:30 AM
But I guess there is no way around ordering the refurb iPhone online and signing up for a contract as well? They got all your data so you it's not as anonymous as the brick and mortar option...

12GA
Mar 18, 2008, 05:49 AM

Is there a consensus as to the value of the optional $69 Apple Protection plan for one of these refurbs? Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

cvahl
Mar 18, 2008, 10:50 AM
But you don't have to sign a contract when you order it online, and instead activate it via iTunes, correct? I would like to use it with T-Mobile, so that should work, or am I missing something?

ben1969
Mar 18, 2008, 11:21 AM
Although I plan to eventually activate through ATT, I'm not sure that the online purchase locks you into activation (wouldn't they have required you to do it online at that moment?). In fact, I think that in the process of checking out I remember reading something about giving the purchase as a gift. How would ATT track down the person you give it to? The purchase simply had me give a credit card #. I didn't have to say anything about how, when, where, etc., I was going to eventually activate the phone. I believe the purchase form simply indicated that I would need to go to iTunes to activate the phone.

ps I am locked in to Verizon for six more weeks -- any way I can use the phone in the meantime as an iPod or for WiFi? I don't want to unlock the phone and do plan to activate to use with ATT. Any help would be appreciated!

hlkc
Mar 18, 2008, 11:57 AM

thank you guys! just bought one for my wife. I have been going to my local AT&T & Apple stores in my local areas since I read this deal here but they said they never heard of that...

Brian513A
Mar 18, 2008, 03:24 PM
within an hour my number was ported from verizon and i'm really happy.

So with this new refurb deal, I'm very much thinking about getting myself an iPhone, but I'm stuck with Verizon for about one more year... May I ask how you did this with your new iPhone? Was it pretty much hassle free? I'm assuming you didn't have to jailbreak... Thanks in advance.

7on
Mar 18, 2008, 03:57 PM
So with this new refurb deal, I'm very much thinking about getting myself an iPhone, but I'm stuck with Verizon for about one more year... May I ask how you did this with your new iPhone? Was it pretty much hassle free? I'm assuming you didn't have to jailbreak... Thanks in advance.

He canceled his Verizon service and went with AT&T and had his Verizon number ported from Verizon to AT&T.

Brian513A
Mar 18, 2008, 05:04 PM
I'm so frustrated. Damn GSM...

topher2889
Mar 18, 2008, 11:15 PM
I was waiting for this day! YES YES YES I HAVE An iPHONE I AM so pumped its sickening!:D

intoxicated662
Mar 20, 2008, 04:35 PM
I just bought one locally from someone that used for less than a month but well taken care of. no refurb and for about $80 more i said what the hey. with a refurb its a risk you take

siniux
Mar 23, 2008, 06:01 PM
Does anyone know if I can pay on the ATT online store with an international VISA?

Thanks!

cvahl
Mar 23, 2008, 06:57 PM
Does anyone know if I can pay on the ATT online store with an international VISA?

Thanks!

I'm almost sure you can't, at least you're not able to buy iPhones at AT&T stores with a European credit card. Furthermore, I think the address of you credit card would have to match with the shipping address, and that one has to be in the US.