Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BoyGeniusReports claims that they have seen an internal AT&T memo referencing refurbished iPhones for only $199 (4GB) and $249 (8GB). These are to be unadvertised specials, however, and only in special regions:
Refurbished iPhones will only be available to purchase in select COR stores across the Northeast Region and will be available while supplies last. Please reach out to customers that have recently purchased an iPhone to see if they are interested in activating an additional iPhone at a discounted equipment cost. Please note no in-store sales materials should be created. This is to be sold as a closing tool only.
So, it may be difficult to find out where these deals might be.

BoyGeniusReport's track record on rumors has been mixed (Jay Z at Macworld), though we have no reason to doubt the authenticity of this memo.

Article Link

moreAAPLplz

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
It's true, my friend picked one up today for $249 and I'm mad because I just bought one Tuesday for $349. The store got them yesterday.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Sweet!

iPhones are suddenly in my price range!

too bad it's only in select stores though... refurbisheds tend to go fast too...

mlg32

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
no where on the west coast

i tried to call stores on the west coast then tried att direct sales global and No refurbished phones in stock and the operator had not heard of any ever being sold, I was advised to shop apple stores or apple online for any and all refurbished iphones.....hmmmm

MLeepson

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
USA
I called several in northern New Jersey all acknowledging the refurbs, one even saying that he's getting them next week, another saying that she doesn't know if they're getting any all. I then called a store in New York City and he said the store had both 4 gigs and 8 gigs in there. I know where I'll be tomorrow.

To sum it up: the memo is real.

mlg32

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
I called several in northern New Jersey all acknowledging the refurbs, one even saying that he's getting them next week, another saying that she doesn't know if they're getting any all. I then called a store in New York City and he said the store had both 4 gigs and 8 gigs in there. I know where I'll be tomorrow.

To sum it up: the memo is real.
i wonder why the fellow on Att global sales supposedly to be the know it all , know nothing??dang it

houdinize

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
refurbs in baltimore

I am writing my first post on my refurbished iPhone I got for $249. A friend works for at&t and called me. I had to run over while he held it. They don't last long.

MLeepson

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
USA

Csmitte

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
nice they need to sell all the old ones and start selling the 16gb for 399!:eek:

cvahl

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
Boston
Is it still the case that I would have to start the contract via iTunes, or is it different when I would buy it in an AT&T store? I'll probably move back to Europe in a few months, so I do not want to have a 2year contract in the US...

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

this is good news. A lower price point will definately get more people hooked onto the iPhone train. Developers will have to come. Assuming Apple doesn't discourage them.

djdole

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
Somthing smells fishey....

Since when does AT&T do the iPhone hardware servicing?
Last I checked, all repairs and replacements were done by Apple, not AT&T.
So wouldn't it be Apple who would be most likely to be refurbishing iPhones?

My bet is that AT&T is just trying to liquidate their remaining assets.
Hopefully prior to a new hardware release. v2.0 Please?
Pretty Please!?! :p

geekmommy4

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Texas

I don't know who does the refurbishing, but AT&T often has refurbished phones that they aren't just trying to liquidate. For example, I bought a refurbished Treo 650 almsot 3 years ago that was in terrific condition and they sold them for full price for a long time after that. (BTW, it was still working well when I bought my iPhone a couple of weeks ago, so their refurbs can be great deals!) My husband bought a refurb Treo 680 about 6 months ago and they still have them at full price.

So, I wouldn't be reading anything into them having refurbs...they want to make some profit on the ones that get returned and fixed.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I don't know who does the refurbishing, but AT&T often has refurbished phones that they aren't just trying to liquidate. For example, I bought a refurbished Treo 650 almsot 3 years ago that was in terrific condition and they sold them for full price for a long time after that. (BTW, it was still working well when I bought my iPhone a couple of weeks ago, so their refurbs can be great deals!) My husband bought a refurb Treo 680 about 6 months ago and they still have them at full price.

So, I wouldn't be reading anything into them having refurbs...they want to make some profit on the ones that get returned and fixed.

Anything to pad the companies bottom-line. ;)

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007

Taking a page from :apple: supply and demand model before releasing an update to a product line.

Version 2.0 seems very near. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.