PDA

View Full Version : what would you do? hypotheticals concerning old macbook vs new macbook

flukewurm
Mar 2, 2008, 01:25 AM
i own a 1.83ghz, 60gb hd, 2gb ram macbook.
recently i have been thinking about upgrading the HD. 60gb SUUUCKs and i'm sick of it.

option1: i could buy a new HD for $100-$150... solves my biggest problem with the machine, saves me some bucks from buying a new computer, if i bought a 7200rpm HD i'll see a bit performance improvement in some areas.

option2: on today's market i could probably get $700-$750 for my machine as is.. if i put in the hard drive this adds up to me owning a $8-900 machine (as i see it) ... with this in mind i could spend just $300 or so more to get a brand new 2.4ghz, 160gb hd, 2gb ram macbook. warranty, new computer smell, new battery, quite a bit more nimble processor (although 1.83 is no slouch)..

i think you now see where i am going with this... in your opinion which would be my best route? this is all personal choice stuffs. just for ***** n giggles.

tersono
Mar 2, 2008, 01:36 AM
I've upgraded the hard drive in several of my laptops over the years without really thinking twice about it, but I have to say that in your position I'd be VERY tempted to eBay the existing machine and spring that bit extra for a new one - it seems like a good choice given the relatively small outlay.

Not going to argue too hard with anyone who prefers the other option, though ;)

Mikey B
Mar 2, 2008, 06:22 AM
I'm with you. I have the same, 1.83 MB and I am tempted to try and ebay it. Its so hard to get by with 60G on my hard drive. Besides the space issue, I have to say that I have no gripes with my Macbook. With the 2 gb of ram she's pretty snappy.

Its just hard to see all these shiny new models and not get one. It pretty much isn't economically feasible for me to get a new lappy right now. I have been thinking about the HDD upgrade. Our books can handle the 7200 rpm hard drives? I've heard they might run too hot. How much of performance bump do you gain? That's probably the route Im going to have to take. Good luck!

aneftp
Mar 2, 2008, 10:25 AM
I'm with you. I have the same, 1.83 MB and I am tempted to try and ebay it. Its so hard to get by with 60G on my hard drive. Besides the space issue, I have to say that I have no gripes with my Macbook. With the 2 gb of ram she's pretty snappy.

Its just hard to see all these shiny new models and not get one. It pretty much isn't economically feasible for me to get a new lappy right now. I have been thinking about the HDD upgrade. Our books can handle the 7200 rpm hard drives? I've heard they might run too hot. How much of performance bump do you gain? That's probably the route Im going to have to take. Good luck!

The going rate for your type of macbook laptop is about $600-700 (an it's dropping fast because of last Tuesday's minor update). Apple products are not maintaining their resell values as in the past because Intel is forcing Apple to release new processors much more quickly than they want to. A guy I just sold my "2 day old 160GB hard drive " got a used 1.83 gz Macbook for $650.

They run fine with 2GB. If you are just looking for hard drive space, just buy a 160GB or 250GB hard drive for less than $140 these days. Hard Drives are so easy to install in intel macbooks. It literally takes 5 minutes. Just remember to have a torx T8 screwer along with a small phillips screwdriver.

heatmiser
Mar 2, 2008, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't waste money on a 7200rpm drive when you can get 320gb 5400 drives for ~$170 on Newegg.

aneftp
Mar 2, 2008, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't waste money on a 7200rpm drive when you can get 320gb 5400 drives for ~$170 on Newegg.

I got mine 320GB WD Passport (just cracked the case open) from Best Buy for $131 two weeks ago. (it was onsale for $150 plus I got an additional 12% coupon).

Works great.

flukewurm
Mar 3, 2008, 12:53 AM
decided to just get the new HD. and yeah i decided on the hitachi 200gb 7200rpm drive that's so highly rated on newegg right now. i don't need any more space and the extra little speed boost will make me happyhappyjoyjoy. now i really hope this laptop won't freak out and die in 6 months or something dumb.