PDA

View Full Version : Late-model G4 Powerbook to MacBook: experiences?

luchak
Mar 2, 2008, 09:58 AM
I currently own a 17" Powerbook G4, of late 2005 vintage (just before the Intel switch). I'm considering buying a new MacBook, and would like to know if anyone else has made this same transition. What was new and good about the MacBook? What was new and bad? What stayed the same? Were there any surprises?

(Alternatively, I'd be happy to know if there are previous threads on this subject. Most of the reasonable keywords for this post are so painfully generic, though, that I can't get any useful information to turn up...)

Dubba
Mar 2, 2008, 12:01 PM
I currently own a 17" Powerbook G4, of late 2005 vintage (just before the Intel switch). I'm considering buying a new MacBook, and would like to know if anyone else has made this same transition. What was new and good about the MacBook? What was new and bad? What stayed the same? Were there any surprises?

(Alternatively, I'd be happy to know if there are previous threads on this subject. Most of the reasonable keywords for this post are so painfully generic, though, that I can't get any useful information to turn up...)

I moved from a 12" PowerBook to a (white) MacBook, after much deliberation and considering a 17: MacBook Pro. I don't regret my decision at all, especially because of my uses (all non-pro) and desire for it to be portable. I ended up selling the White MacBook with my business, but have just ordered a new BlackBook, fully kitted-out with 4GB of 3rd party RAM.

If you can get over the personal 'prestige' of owning a pro machine (if that is even an issue to you; which is what I had to do), then the BlackBook / MacBook is the way to go if you don't need the dedicated graphics. I am going to spend my savings on an external monitor and taking my wife on a nice holiday!

DannySmurf
Mar 2, 2008, 12:06 PM
New and Good: The Macbooks are lightyears faster than any G4/G5 model computer, even with integrated graphics.

New and Bad: Integrated graphics, though that may not be much of a problem for you; I originally bought a first-gen Macbook Pro because I thought I needed a discrete graphics card, but as it turns out, I was overestimating that need greatly, and when I got my second intel machine, I decided on a Macbook, and have no regrets.

AlexanderTgreat
Mar 2, 2008, 08:47 PM
Just over a year ago I upgraded to a macbook from a G4 14" ibook and performance wise it's a huge difference.... just night and day. Build quality wise though I'd say that it's a bit of a step down although I do like it's smaller size and weight.

DannySmurf
Mar 2, 2008, 09:49 PM
Just over a year ago I upgraded to a macbook from a G4 14" ibook and performance wise it's a huge difference.... just night and day. Build quality wise though I'd say that it's a bit of a step down although I do like it's smaller size and weight.

I disagree a bit. I had the last release of the 14" iBook, and it felt really fragile. Dunno exactly what it was, but something about the way the keyboard felt and the creaking of the plastic just didn't feel all that sturdy. Have not felt that way about the Macbook. Feels much more sturdy than the old iBook.

Of course, neither feel quite as solid as one of the aluminum *books.

live4ever
Mar 2, 2008, 10:01 PM
From a 17" to a 13" I'm not so sure you'd like that - or do you mean a 17" MBP?

ironMonkey
Mar 2, 2008, 10:01 PM
One thing to note is that you won't be able to get a matte screen like you could on the iBook. A huge minus in my book: I use my computer for more than watching movies, therefore a reflective coating is distracting.

aross99
Mar 2, 2008, 10:02 PM
I replaced my PB G4 1.67 with a MBP 2.33 C2D. Performance was much faster, but just everything else is almost identical...

dtklamf
Mar 3, 2008, 04:49 AM
i did the exact same thing not more than 2 weeks ago.going from a HRdl SD 15" powerbook to a black macbook.

#1.i'm not used to the no backlit keyboard yet
#2.i had a concern about dropping down from 1440*900 resolution but now I barely notice it and actually started using spaces a lot more.
#3.the speakers are rubbish.and very quiet in comparison
#4.glossy screen sucks balls.like ... a spalding factory worth of balls
#5.the slightly spaced keyboard layout took a few days getting used to

other than that it was totally the right choice over a macbook pro.i take it everywhere now.

munckee
Mar 3, 2008, 11:25 AM
I went from a 1.5 Powerbook 15" to a Macbook and don't regret it at all. The smaller screen wasn't much of an issue for me given that I had a "lo-res" powerbook (the difference is only about 50 pixels). Performance has been solid, though not "knock my socks off impressive". I would make the same decision again though, for my use (design and general home use). I couldn't justify the extra cash to jump to the pro.