PDA

View Full Version : iBook - Clamshell

MacBooksRock
Mar 2, 2008, 03:42 PM
Hey guys, I just got a Tangerine Clamshell that looks great w/ all original packaging. I was wanting to upgrade the 6GB hard drive with a 250GB, will the Clamshells take a hard drive this big? I know the iMac G3s can't take more than 127gb... Thanks!

MacMan33
Mar 2, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hey guys, I just got a Tangerine Clamshell that looks great w/ all original packaging. I was wanting to upgrade the 6GB hard drive with a 250GB, will the Clamshells take a hard drive this big? I know the iMac G3s can't take more than 127gb... Thanks!

why would you even want to add that to such a slow machine?

mrkramer
Mar 2, 2008, 03:50 PM
I believe that the clamshells are limited to 128GBs also. Also are you sure that the 250GB drive that you are looking at has the right interface to work in the clamshell, I didn't think they made any notebook drives that big that would fit.

karenflower
Mar 2, 2008, 04:08 PM
Yes, the capacity is limited so you'll need a smaller drive. It's a tricky task upgrading it, will you be doing it yourself?

MacBooksRock
Mar 2, 2008, 07:36 PM
yeah, I've put a 40gb in one or two clams... I just wanted a big one in mine, I'll prolly get a 120gb... I use the iFixit guide to take them apart. Thanks for the replies!

kb9klc
Mar 4, 2008, 10:35 AM
yeah, I've put a 40gb in one or two clams... I just wanted a big one in mine, I'll prolly get a 120gb... I use the iFixit guide to take them apart. Thanks for the replies!

Yep go with the 120.....I'm getting ready to throw a somewhat bigger one in my daughters too....also I'm guessing you know it will take 512 more on the ram and not the 256 stated by apple........She loves hers and it turns all kinds of heads and taking it day in and out to college for basic processing and surfing....well she loves it....and it holds up like you can't believe....