Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Hi guys...

i already posted in the Mac Applications thread but nobody answered.

I have audio and video content on my website. mp3s and m4vs (exported for web through quicktime.) The audio streams on a new page.... but the video starts auto-downloading. how do i make it stream through the web-browser via quicktime?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
It has to do mostly with how the MIME types are defined on the server. If the browser finds a MIME type for an extension and links to a program that there is no plugin installed, it auto downloads.

Your other option is to embed the videos into another page, that way they are part of the page, not a seperate file.

TEG

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
thanks. so for the browser to play the quicktime movies without having to embed them specifically in the page, what extension shall i use? .mov?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Your extension doesn't matter, although .mov would make it easier. It is the mime types on the WebServer. When I used to serve AAC (.m4a) files, I had to create a new MIME type for it, otherwise, they were forced to download, and would be appended with .txt.

TEG

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I'm not sure if you know this, so it might be unnecessary for me to mention, but if you get a decent amount of traffic on your site, streaming audio and video will kill your bandwidth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.