PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook/Macbook Pro Development Slowed?

turtlebud
Mar 3, 2008, 01:35 PM
I've been thinking about my next portable mac upgrade. I bought a powerbook g4 titanium in 7/03 (1Ghz/Superdrive), then got a macbook pro for work in 5/06 (2.16Ghz Core Duo). Since the first Macbook Pro, the speed "bumps" seem to be slowed down quite a bit. Currently, the midrange Macbook Pro (which I what I'd usually look at) is at 2.5Ghz Core2Duo.

My question is this - is it that apple (and probably other portable makers) have hit a wall in terms of how fast a processor they can stick into a laptop? I know that there are many more limitations because of the size and heat generated on a laptop, but it seems like each update is becoming a smaller incremental update.

OR are the "other" things that apple has been putting into their pro portable line make up for lack of speed increase?

I just see in two years (1/06 - 1/08), they went from a dual core 2.0Ghz processor to a 2.5Ghz dual core processor (which runs cooler albeit) vs. in less than 2.5 years (7/03 - 1/06) they went from a single processor 1.0Ghz G4 to a 2.0Ghz Dual processor.