PDA

View Full Version : Podcasts now available for download direct to iPod touch?

vandlism
Mar 3, 2008, 01:35 PM
I just received the iTunes podcast spotlight email focusing on learning languages. I clicked on german and lo and behold, the music store opened up on my iPod. There appeared a list of available "learn german" podcasts. When I clicked on any one of them I received a dialog window saying that the store was currently not available. Previously with podcasts (and movies) safari would open and would display a message indicating that this content was only available on a computer. First announcement on Thursday?

Oh wow. Well I posted this from my iPod and accidentally posted in the wrong forum. I don't know how that happened. Tiny links, sorry.

archurban
Mar 3, 2008, 09:58 PM
no. You can't still download them. But there are few web apps which allow you to do that. I don't know about learning language podacst. But with web apps, you can stream entire podcast. I use podcaster, flytunes. Go to apple.com download tap. You will find other useful apps as well.

eplchamps0304
Mar 3, 2008, 11:04 PM
no. You can't still download them. But there are few web apps which allow you to do that. I don't know about learning language podacst. But with web apps, you can stream entire podcast. I use podcaster, flytunes. Go to apple.com download tap. You will find other useful apps as well.

I stream BBC podcasts without any webapps. I just click on the rss logo on the podcasts page.

vandlism
Mar 3, 2008, 11:22 PM
I was really just pointing out that this appears to be the first instance of podcasts being available directly from the iTunes Store on the iPod/iPhone.

vegas-steven
Mar 3, 2008, 11:28 PM
right. i see what you are saying.

truth be told - there REALLY needs to be a link for that on the bottom of the itunes store on the iphone/touch.

it also needs to be able to sync with your computer, take a look at what you have through full blown (by way of podcasts) and then let you update and download podcasts directly to the device over wifi.

BrownManUPS
Mar 4, 2008, 12:59 PM
right. i see what you are saying.

truth be told - there REALLY needs to be a link for that on the bottom of the itunes store on the iphone/touch.

it also needs to be able to sync with your computer, take a look at what you have through full blown (by way of podcasts) and then let you update and download podcasts directly to the device over wifi.

I keep wondering why Apple doesn't do this...it seems so obvious that one of the best ways to get podcasts listened to would be with a direct download via iPhone and iTouch...

archurban
Mar 5, 2008, 01:28 AM
they can do whatever they want. but just think about battery life. when you use safari for a while, how many hours can you use that? if you stream or download over wifi for your ipod touch, it takes also time, eats battery life. Apple is not stupid. they already think about that. 3rd apps will allow you to download content soon. but if I were you, I won't do it. maybe short audio podcast is OK. but video? I don't think so.