PDA

View Full Version : Can $omeone plea$e help me!?!

secret agent x9
Mar 3, 2008, 02:59 PM
I have no idea what I did, but I did $omething to now whenever I try to type the "$" key, it $how$ up a$...well...$ can $omeone plea$e help me fix thi$? I don't want to type like I'm a gang$ta rapper!

emw
Mar 3, 2008, 03:05 PM
I'm assuming you've tried the basics, like restarting?

You can also try creating a new user and see if the problem exists there as well.

secret agent x9
Mar 3, 2008, 03:11 PM
ye$. I've tried re$tarting, but to no avail. I thought maybe I did a macro by mi$take or $omething, but I wouldn't know how to check or undo it or anything like that. For $ometime, it wa$n't alway$ the $ $ymbol. The $ame key would $how up a$ a different $ymbol.

andy.barron
Mar 3, 2008, 03:14 PM
it sounds like a language keyboard conflict.

System re-install. Don't waste any more time......

Peteybiz02
Mar 3, 2008, 03:52 PM
ye$. I've tried re$tarting, but to no avail. I thought maybe I did a macro by mi$take or $omething, but I wouldn't know how to check or undo it or anything like that. For $ometime, it wa$n't alway$ the $ $ymbol. The $ame key would $how up a$ a different $ymbol.

Wow. I don't know if this is really mean but I'm laughing out loud reading your post! hahaha. Sorry, I wish I knew what the problem was so I could help you, but you've gotta admit its a little funny. :D Now that I laughed, somebody help this guy!

yellow
Mar 3, 2008, 03:55 PM
I have 3 ways to answer this:

1) $ee$h. Doe$n't everyone'$ keyboard do thi$?

2) Stop hitting Shift-4 and hit the S key instead? ;)

3) Seriously though, follow emw's suggestion before reinstalling anything. Obviously take care not to try and type an S in the username or password.

TechGirl
Mar 3, 2008, 03:57 PM
Try repairing the permissions using disk utility and check the SMART status. If all else fails, do an archive and install. If you have an apple store nearby you can also just take it in and ask a genius; they might know a quick fix.

yellow
Mar 3, 2008, 04:16 PM
I seriously don't see incorrect permissions and/or an imminant hard drive failure manifesting themselves in this way.

Don't reinstall until you check another user out.

Why?

1) If you Archive & Install and leave user data intact, and the problem is still there? It was in your user data and you could have saved yourself the time and headache of a pointless reinstall.
2) If you login in as another user and the problem isn't there, then it's something in your home directory and that makes it much easier to find.
3) If it's still there in another user, you could continue troubleshooting or just resort to a reinstall.

But a reinstall should be your last, last, last choice.

emw
Mar 3, 2008, 04:28 PM
You could also try deleting your com.apple.keyboardtype.plist file as well.

jpsalvesen
Mar 3, 2008, 04:58 PM
Hahaha! Nice prank. Either by Secret Agent X9 itself or by his friend-soon-to-be-foe. Or maybe this is the first OSX virus?