Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phatjoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
IL
Hello:

So my objective isn't to piss people off, but this question got me thinking...

There is thread going around about the high demand for the MBA. A few folks have stated that it's all hype, and others even stated the next "cube".

Most companies will have products that don't do very well, and eventually are discontinued. For example, Apple's cube, and their High Fi speaker (remember that).

So, do you think that MBA could be the next fad/hype product?

Personally, I don't see it being a hype/fad product. I think it has great potential. For example, a 15" MBA.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not in the least. I think each Apple computer has a specific audience. Some have more than one audience others do not. That is why all computer makers should have a broad line to cater to different users/spenders.

iJesus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Reno, Nevada
Going off on a tangent...

... I'm sometimes saddened by the fact Apple is becoming so popular...
... sometimes, when friends ask me why I buy a mac, I feel like telling them it's the worst thing ever, just so they'll go buy a PC.

I dont want :apple: to be the next microsoft...
... which they're doing.
:(

Anyways, MBA...
... it was oriented at a specific market, but...
... a lot of consumers saw it as being pretty cool and most of them only do music and internet (+ e-mail), so I think there are people who most definitely want one.

Hell, I saw this dad promise his 13 year old one if he brought good grades.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
As long as they come out with something smaller, lighter - so be it.

The Air is Apples long overdue reentry into the subcompact market. It may spawn off different products but hopefully they'll see the $$ potential they were missing by ignoring those who do want smaller and more travel worthy products.

Look at how many they've already sold and who would have thunk it? I was a "I think it's stupid" naysayer after MW. Thought about it, saw it and it really does make sense for me. Give it a while and when others see how productive and unhindered Air owners are by lack of ports, disk space, optical drive, battery, etc. they'll sell more.

If Apple keeps the quality up - the Air'll be around for quite a while.

mbrydone

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
idk, unlike the iPod which is a relatively inexpensive product for what it delivers, the MBA is way expensive especially for the age of those who jump on fads or gimmicks!

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I think you're right. $1800 for a laptop that's technically underpowered might scare off a lot of people.

Oh come on. Look at the CNET review for the X300 and see how the MBA compares to its UP competition. It's faster and cheaper than the lot of them. Your position is hard to defend in the real world.

Arthur Young

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
Canada
i don't think it will be a fad. I think it has everything to gain.

This is the way i see it:

This is the future of cloud computing. In the future everyone could have one of these. Everyone will carry these ultra portable satellites.

I think it will be the ultimate evolution of the macbook. As technology progresses, the macbook and macbook pro may get too close in spec, and people don't need that much power. Honestly most people can do away with a macbook, but we all just like the prestige and specialness of the MBP. the macbook offers around 90 percent of the performance of a MBP.

the choice of lifestyle will either be, an all in one power laptop. Or a light weight cloud client.

if i had to choose. well i'd choose the latter.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Oh come on. Look at the CNET review for the X300 and see how the MBA compares to its UP competition. It's faster and cheaper than the lot of them. Your position is hard to defend in the real world.

The XPS M1330 is about $300 less, has a 2.4GHz Penryn, 4 GB of memory and better all round features. Admittedly it weighs about 1lb more but I see little difference between a 3lb and 4lb notebook.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
... is way expensive especially for the age of those who jump on fads or gimmicks!

As a matter of fact, that is a perfect description of what the iPod was when it was first released. Nobody thought it would take off like it did. Imo it becomes more and more difficult to say what will be a hit and what not in the gadget world, there is more and more stuff and competition out there every day.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
the only reason why I think the MBA might have a chance when compared to other machines like the Dells is Apple's reputation for long lasting laptops.

other than that, like I said earlier, $1800 to $3000 is an insane amount of $$$ for such a underpowered machine. heck, I'm one of these techy people that has to have the latest and greatest. I do however like to have my cake and eat it too. this means that I like modern day machines quite frequently but I also want my machines to be pretty beefy in the power department.

too bad the MBA doesn't have much in that department.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.