Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heatguts58

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
i got my macbook on saturday and already had to do two hard reboots from a friend's faulty burned copy of microsoft office 2004. anyone have experiences on having to hard reboot, pretty effing scary especially with a new machine. dont get me wrong, it wasnt the macbooks fault, it was the cd's fault, something with an error in copying a file(it was the same file twice) and it would hang there and i couldnt exit.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Yeah bad cds can be quite a pain - it's not supposed to get stuck though. When the CD gets stuck are you able to do anything else on the computer? Or are you saying it freezes and you have to reboot? If later then its a problem with the OS or the CD Drive.

heatguts58

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Yeah bad cds can be quite a pain - it's not supposed to get stuck though. When the CD gets stuck are you able to do anything else on the computer? Or are you saying it freezes and you have to reboot? If later then its a problem with the OS or the CD Drive.

i was able to do stuff on the computer as if nothing were wrong, but i cant just leave a "COPYING" window open outside, and since the OS thinks im still in the process of copying a file it wont let me restart or shutdown so my only option was to do the nasty and do a hard reboot TWICE. god it still pains me thinking about it.

DuRui

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
sick burn!

No really... I tell my friends this all the time. I tire of trying to use copied software.

Being stuck in china for a while longer...windows software prices (legal one's not the copied once I can get on every street corner for 1 buck a piece) are sick...

Windows XP (chinese version) $50
Windows XP (english version) $150

...now I don't know about you but since I don't make that much money (being paid in RMB and all...) those 100 bucks almost make me want to learn Chinese ;).....

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
i was able to do stuff on the computer as if nothing were wrong, but i cant just leave a "COPYING" window open outside, and since the OS thinks im still in the process of copying a file it wont let me restart or shutdown so my only option was to do the nasty and do a hard reboot TWICE. god it still pains me thinking about it.

Oh so it's a common Finder problem - you should be able to cancel the copy but you can't and the window stays there until restart. Finder still sucks - I recently filed a bug with Apple on similar problem that I was having with copying files over FTP.

tremendous

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK? Yeah I'm OK. Stop asking.
Being stuck in china for a while longer...windows software prices (legal one's not the copied once I can get on every street corner for 1 buck a piece) are sick...

Windows XP (chinese version) $50
Windows XP (english version) $150

...now I don't know about you but since I don't make that much money (being paid in RMB and all...) those 100 bucks almost make me want to learn Chinese ;).....

never understand the belief we are entitled to use software we can't afford. there's a really sweet car at the local dealer but it's $15000. i can't afford that so i'm going to steal it.

If you can't afford the software, don't use it.

.adam

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
never understand the belief we are entitled to use software we can't afford. there's a really sweet car at the local dealer but it's $15000. i can't afford that so i'm going to steal it.

Thank you for the moral guidance.

.adam

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
oh, my pleasure. some of you really do need it.

now, of course, I know you were being sarcastic. In which case my previous statement only becomes more true...

I have no problem with the message, it's the fact that you feel the need to come onto a messageboard and admonish this rhetoric that irks me. The whole 'holier that thou' attitude.

If I wanted to be given moral guidance I'd go to Church or read the "Morals" section in T2 of The Times. Who are you to lecture me about software piracy? He without sin, my friend, he without sin.

Then again, some of you really do feel the need to morally educate people.

DuRui

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007

I absolutely agree with you mate...but if my company doesn't feel like buying me a english copy of windows and forces me to use chinese software (ie windows / office) i'm not going to be very productive...
I mean finding a setting in Powerpoint when everything is in chinese characters...I mean...I can type blind but I can't use Powerpoint blind just yet ;)

So I don't really feel like spending 150 bucks of hard earned money just coz my company is ridicioulus in their policy... *sigh*.

Anyway!...took the 150..plus some more and bought myself a Mac haha..screw windows... *pets his macbook* :D (price of a Macbook here is 860 euro's ....)

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
If you can't afford to buy a copy of MS Office, use NeoOffice. It's MS Office compatible and FREE. It's a download, too, so no CD issues, unless you just feel like burning a disc. This board is not actually to help you figure out how to use something you pirated. It's not to solve problems that arrive from piracy. It's actually for Mac-related issues, specifically those of the MacBook/iBook variety. As you said, it's not the machine's fault... so this might not be the place for your query.

You may not want a lecture on piracy, but I'm pretty sure talk of piracy the use of unlicensed software is a TOS violation *on this board,* so while you might not like it, it is actually a valid point. It's possible the person was trying to truncate the discussion before a mod got involved. And getting worked up about someone being holier than thou while using a self-righteous tone (and coming from a morally questionable stance) is pretty laughable to begin with. Pot, meet kettle.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
You can get a copy of Office student edition for reasonable. I suggest you do a clean install of Leo. and load a legit copy. You don't know what you got on that CD/DVD and MS products are super serial # specific.

heatguts58

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
it actually wasnt a illegally burned copy, its a school copy my friend bought at the bookstore, it had a homemade printer cd label on it which was very odd for a bookstore to do. so to clear that up, it wasnt stolen off the internet or anything.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
If you can't afford to buy a copy of MS Office, use NeoOffice. It's MS Office compatible and FREE. It's a download, too, so no CD issues, unless you just feel like burning a disc. This board is not actually to help you figure out how to use something you pirated. It's not to solve problems that arrive from piracy. It's actually for Mac-related issues, specifically those of the MacBook/iBook variety. As you said, it's not the machine's fault... so this might not be the place for your query.

You may not want a lecture on piracy, but I'm pretty sure talk of piracy the use of unlicensed software is a TOS violation *on this board,* so while you might not like it, it is actually a valid point. It's possible the person was trying to truncate the discussion before a mod got involved. And getting worked up about someone being holier than thou while using a self-righteous tone (and coming from a morally questionable stance) is pretty laughable to begin with. Pot, meet kettle.

Let's try this stance...

I burned a copy of my files, and must have bumped it when it was burning. Now, every time I try to copy the files off the disc, Finder freaks out over one of them, and the copy stops. I can't do anything significant with Finder until i do a hard reboot. Man, those things are kind of scary to do on a brand new machine, always afraid I will break something :)

So... who cares what was on the disk? He wasn't asking us for help in pirating anything, or in getting pirated (possibly) goods working. He was talking about the hard reboots, caused by the contents of a disk.

And NeoOffice? Really? That is your advice?

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Have you needed to hard reboot any other time than when loading Office?

Maybe you should run the copy of Office test drive included on new MB's and see if that crashes or causes hard reboot too.

Have you used the DVD/CD for other things than loading afflicting member?

Did you try and use force quit before having to reboot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.