Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbrydone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
How fast are the airs, I need to get a new labtop for college and was pretty much focusing on the pros...i have a 1.83 cd, would a 1.6 c2d be all that faster??? in a way it seems very illogical

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
How fast are the airs, I need to get a new labtop for college and was pretty much focusing on the pros...i have a 1.83 cd, would a 1.6 c2d be all that faster??? in a way it seems very illogical

For raw processing power, the C2D is about 10% faster than a CD at the same clock rate. That means the 1.6C2D is approximately the same as a 1.76CD, or pretty much the same as the 1.83CD. That's only part of the equation though: The HDD in the MBA is a 1.8 PATA device and slower than the HDD in a MBP (or Macbook). There is also no dedicated video card in the MBA which will slow things down over the MBP for things that make use of it.
The bottom line is pretty much any MacBook Pro will be faster than the 1.6Ghz MBA with HDD. Whether that speed difference actually affects you in the "real world" is another matter. I've got a 1.8 SSD and subjectively it feels at least as quick as my 2.16 CD MBP, although it probably isn't

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I can run 2x Virtual Machines, iTunes, Quicktime, Adium, Mail, iCal, Adobe, and PS all at once w/ minimal lag when switching windows.. does that help?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Check the review here for some benchmarks. A lot of times, the MBA finished tasks more quick than a CD 2.0 MBP.
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3226&p=18

I can run 2x Virtual Machines, iTunes, Quicktime, Adium, Mail, iCal, Adobe, and PS all at once w/ minimal lag when switching windows.. does that help?
Are you using the SSD or the 80GB?

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
I'm glad anandtech verified my findings. I thought my MBP was sick but guess not:(

I'm with you on *that* -- I finally decided to sell my Rev A MBP last week and update to a new Penryn. Night and day difference. Wow.

I'm hoping to get an Air via work at some point this year-- looks like it will work out fine.

JT

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I'm with you on *that* -- I finally decided to sell my Rev A MBP last week and update to a new Penryn. Night and day difference. Wow.

I'm hoping to get an Air via work at some point this year-- looks like it will work out fine.

JT

I know I should replace mine too but it's like new except for that blasted little screen buzz until it gets warm! The 2GHz CD sure roasts me parts and the battery life is abysmal, but it is like new.... A good backup for my Air nonetheless.

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Even though my 1.6 MBA scores lower than my 2.0 CD Macbook in benchmark tests (GeekBench, etc), I can tell you that it is faster in my everyday use.

My MBA replaced a 2.4 MBP and I haven't missed the MBP (yet).

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
I can say that my 1.6 C2D Air is way faster than my 2 CD MBP. And runs soooo much cooler. Real world app's.

I second this.
xBench confirmed my findings as well. The only place my MBA is slower is in the hard drive test and the graphics performance.

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
mine feels as fast as my MBP. But I dont use my MBA for anything too taxing. It is a real pleasure to sit on my couch and use it to surf!!!

Bambeezer

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Dallas, TX
I've got the 1.8 SSD and I think it flies. It runs better than my 2CD mbp. It also runs a lot cooler. I'm extremely happy with the performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.