PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to upgrade from G5 Power Mac to MacPro?

Audisteve
Mar 4, 2008, 05:19 PM
I am a student who is currently starting to work on some at home projects with cartoon animation (Toon Boom) and Video Editing (Final Cut/After Effects). I have a Dual 2.0 G5 with 1G Ram. Would there be a signifigant advantage in upgrading to a Dual 2.8 Mac Pro? I could probably get 700-800 dollars for the current computer so, would dropping 2000 on a new tower give me a huge boost in performance? (Money is kind of an issue but not if the difference is staggering.) Or should I just upgrade the RAM on my current tower, be happy with what I have and quit jabbering?
Thanks.

GotPro
Mar 4, 2008, 05:25 PM
I am a student who is currently starting to work on some at home projects with cartoon animation (Toon Boom) and Video Editing (Final Cut/After Effects). I have a Dual 2.0 G5 with 1G Ram. Would there be a signifigant advantage in upgrading to a Dual 2.8 Mac Pro? I could probably get 700-800 dollars for the current computer so, would dropping 2000 on a new tower give me a huge boost in performance? (Money is kind of an issue but not if the difference is staggering.) Or should I just upgrade the RAM on my current tower, be happy with what I have and quit jabbering?
Thanks.

I sold my Dual 2.5 G5 Tower... and upgraded to the single CPU Quad Core 2.8.

The difference IS STAGGERING. UNBELIEVABLY STAGGERING.

Twiztedklown316
Mar 4, 2008, 05:29 PM
I'm not familiar with Toon Boom, so I'm not sure how much processing power it really requires. If money is an object, my suggestion would be to atleast upgrade to 4gb of RAM. If money is not an object than by all means go to an 8-core intel Mac Pro. However, I would want to have atleast 4gb of Ram in it aswell.
So there you go, thats my suggestion.

Audisteve
Mar 4, 2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I'll be upgrading fairly soon to an Intel chip...hooray it'll be my first, so excited.