Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
Upgraded an XP installation to VISTA. I couldn't install VISTA on a secondary internal drive due to the well known "Windows cannot locate a suitable volume ....." error message. I went out and bought XP Pro and it installed flawlessly. I want to upgrade to VISTA and wonder if I will have the same problem as I did initially.
Alan

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Upgrade works by over-writing an existing Windows installation, so you can't install it to a secondary drive that way, unless it contains a Windows XP installation, in which case, it should work flawlessly.

From what I've heard, the Upgrade process has improved signifantly (no more DLL hell) however, you can never go wrong with a clean installation on a freshly formatted drive.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
I would like to do a clean install so I'm wondering if Vista will let me do that to the XP installation on the second drive. It wouldn't when I tried before but it might now because XP is on that drive. If anyone has done that I would like to know as I would hate to have VISTA reformat the drive and then refuse to install.
Alan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.