PDA

View Full Version : What do you want from future iPT updates?

stephanos180
Mar 4, 2008, 08:18 PM
Okay, so I've had my iPod Touch with the software upgrade for the past week or so now, and I can't help but make a few observations about missing features/things I'd like to see in the future. We know that Apple reads MR posts, so where better to voice our opinions? Here we go...

- links to the iTunes Store capability available in the music app, when in wifi zone or whatever
- ability to click on artist name for more songs (there has to be an alternative to coverflowing through an artist's albums from the 'Now Playing' screen)
- support for smart playlists on-the-go (i.e. if i change a song's rating to 5 stars, it should be added to my 5-star playlist)
- support for airtunes (not so much streaming ipod to stereo, but rather just as a remote [yes, i am aware of Signal and Remote Buddy -- and their lagginess])
- calendar and contact support of grouping (like choosing which category an event or contact goes into)
- sorting of videos like in other apps, with tabs at the bottom separating podcasts, movies, music videos, etc.
- ability to delete playlists (especially that annoying 'Purchased') and rename on-the-go playlists
- support for folders for iTunes playlists and iPhoto albums! if i need folders to organize on a desktop computer, what am i to do with a tiny LCD?
- reviews showing in iTunes Store, to be able to make informed purchases
- notification of new e-mails appearing on "standby" screen (does this not already happen with the iPhone?)
- tactile remote accessory for those of us that don't want to go for those cheap-looking third-party ones

Now, about Thursday, I think Apple needs to simply port a bunch of their Dashboard widgets to the iPhone/Touch interface, like Dictionary, Translation, Unit Converter, etc.

Post your own!

MattMcClinch
Mar 4, 2008, 10:48 PM
I want Apple to fix the bug that screws up my iPod's clock every time I sync it with my iTunes library.

IgnatiusTheKing
Mar 4, 2008, 11:24 PM
- notification of new e-mails appearing on "standby" screen

What do you mean by "standby" screen?

stephanos180
Mar 4, 2008, 11:47 PM
What do you mean by "standby" screen?

You know, the screen with the 'slide to unlock' and your wallpaper. I didn't know what else to call it. Sorry.

IgnatiusTheKing
Mar 5, 2008, 07:50 AM
You know, the screen with the 'slide to unlock' and your wallpaper. I didn't know what else to call it. Sorry.

Oh, okay. That's as good a name as any, I just wasn't sure which one you meant. That would be cool to have an email counter there.

swiftaw
Mar 5, 2008, 07:52 AM
Syncing with iCal's To-do list

jbarr
Mar 5, 2008, 08:35 AM
My list in no particular order:

Sync Calendar (via both WiFi and iTunes) directly with one or more Google Calendars
A simple "WiFi toggle" application that I can keep on the Dock to quickly turn on and off WiFi (like WiFiSwitch.app)
ToDo list integrated into Calendar
Notes application that syncs with either Outlook Memos or plain old .txt files
A more advanced Calculator applicaation
The ability for Safari to retain multiple pages in cache offline between sessions

JAT
Mar 5, 2008, 09:03 AM
Copy/paste. I don't know how it would fit in the interface, but I want it, anyway.

Advavced calculators already exist for JBers, probably will get put out "legally", too. So does the wifi toggle.

razorianfly
Mar 5, 2008, 09:29 AM
Heres my wants/wishes for future functionality of iPod touch. (again in no particular order) and preferably to be implemented into this 'generation' of iPod touch ...

- Copy/Paste
- Disk mode support (Documents folder on home screen - menus now have 'Save to Documents')
- Volume adjustment in CoverFlow
- BBC iPlayer native application (similar to youtube.app)
- Percentage of charge shown in status bar when connected
- Ability to buy TV (and movies/rentals) through the wIMS. I don't care about delivery times.
- Clock fix (self explanatory)
- As mentioned, email notifications on 'slide to unlock' screen.
- Option to set an Apple designed screensaver(s) from a range of Apple designed screen savers. (Flurry anyone?)
- As mentioned, the sorting of video content via 'tabs'
- Wirelessly Sync with iTunes and desired iTunes library. (time to lose the dock Apple).
- Maps.app to be able to cache a larger volume of data for offline use.
- CloverFlow view implementation for 'Videos.app'
- CoverFlow view implementation for 'Photos.app'
- Ability to attach video content to emails
- More graphical representation in 'iCal.app' (to match it's OSX counterpart)
- To be able to 'throw' an icon to the next home screen instead of manually drag and move it
- Application switcher for times when an application calls on another for a feature, and you need to switch back.
- 'Clock.app' to be able to render the right time on the icon preview, as iCal.app does currently with the current date.
- Ability to edit tags on both video and music - natively. (useful for when something is synced with the wrong name, or a spelling mistake).

I don't ask for much, really ...

R-Fly

JAT
Mar 5, 2008, 10:00 AM
- support for smart playlists on-the-go (i.e. if i change a song's rating to 5 stars, it should be added to my 5-star playlist)

- support for airtunes (not so much streaming ipod to stereo, but rather just as a remote [yes, i am aware of Signal and Remote Buddy -- and their lagginess])

- support for folders for iTunes playlists and iPhoto albums! if i need folders to organize on a desktop computer, what am i to do with a tiny LCD?

- tactile remote accessory for those of us that don't want to go for those cheap-looking third-party ones

I gotta comment on some of these. In order:

5 star smart playlist: This already works for me, just as it did on my iPod Video. Maybe you want additional playlist-control abilities? It would be nice considering the Touch has a keyboard and everything. But the star ratings work.

I doubt an Apple brand version of Signal would speed up wifi, and your computer's response time. I use wifi between my computers (for iTunes) and there is lag, as well.

Folders: Mostly Apple expects you to set this up on the computer, not the iPod. It would be nice to have more functionality in iTunes, but I doubt we'll see it.

Tactile? On a touch screen device? Confused.

Bonesone4
Mar 5, 2008, 10:12 AM
2 things that come to mind for me are

1: A way to add/upload custom web app icons. There are some sites that have already created their own icons for web apps but others seem to screen grab whatever the page looks like that at time u are browsing.

2: browse through the artist lists the same way you browse through the albums list. In albums you can scroll through small album art icons on the left hand side while u can only browse the names of the artists.

Bones

JuicyGoo
Mar 5, 2008, 04:13 PM
Playlist editing (add, delete, reorder).

You can do it already with On-The-Go Playlists so why not with normal playlists??

stephanos180
Mar 5, 2008, 05:00 PM
I gotta comment on some of these. In order:

5 star smart playlist: This already works for me, just as it did on my iPod Video. Maybe you want additional playlist-control abilities? It would be nice considering the Touch has a keyboard and everything. But the star ratings work.

I doubt an Apple brand version of Signal would speed up wifi, and your computer's response time. I use wifi between my computers (for iTunes) and there is lag, as well.

Folders: Mostly Apple expects you to set this up on the computer, not the iPod. It would be nice to have more functionality in iTunes, but I doubt we'll see it.

Tactile? On a touch screen device? Confused.

Yeah, dude, the 5 star thing isn't working for me. Maybe I'll do a restore. I appreciate the tip though.

I think that an Apple brand would speed up wifi, and let me tell you why. So far, the webapps have iPod load the information that's on the computer, and have you choose which you want to play. I want a version that assumes that the computer and iPod are synced, and works off of the 'Music' app, avoiding load times of lists, as well as artwork.

I think Apple has to extend the functionality it's already provided us with with the folders. I guess we'll just disagree.

About 'tactile,' I want a remote for my iPod Touch, so that I don't have to take it out of my pocket to change the song.

Thanks!

Eärendil
Mar 5, 2008, 06:25 PM
Hardware redesign:

External speakers, the option to choose between brushed metal or (for girls and metrosexuals) the scratch magnet aka chrome back.

Real volume controls.

Software:

Backgrounds

An Ipod classic like look when browsing songs or artists (it looks better sorry)

I want Itunes to search for album artwork, without the need to have an account.

Stang68
Mar 5, 2008, 07:04 PM
Goddamn 802.1x support! ****!

scotty96LSC
Mar 5, 2008, 07:10 PM
More app choices.

davidy
Mar 5, 2008, 07:24 PM
Hardware redesign:

External speakers, the option to choose between brushed metal or (for girls and metrosexuals) the scratch magnet aka chrome back.

Real volume controls.

Software:

Backgrounds

An Ipod classic like look when browsing songs or artists (it looks better sorry)

I want Itunes to search for album artwork, without the need to have an account.

There are already hundreds of external speakers avilable for the itouch. Just Google iPod "touch speakers". If you mean little 1/2" plug in speakers that mount directly to the touch then you'd be disappointed with the sound quality and with the reduced battery life.

The touch's back is polished aluminum which is why it scratches so easily. Some people have used ScotchBrite to give a brushed appearance, but this will wear down and show scratches anyway. It is possible to use aluminum polish to brighten up the appearance of a scratched back but this, and the ScotchBrite, will remove the SSN and other ID from the back.You can special-order a touch with a gold plated back but that will scratch also. If you could pop the back off without damage, you could have it chrome plated for greater protection.

The touch was designed with touch screen controls. There is no good reason for an external volume control.

Backgrounds are available through jailbrake and I would expect that they will become available through the SDK.

wizard
Mar 5, 2008, 07:31 PM
Okay, so I've had my iPod Touch with the software upgrade for the past week or so now, and I can't help but make a few observations about missing features/things I'd like to see in the future. We know that Apple reads MR posts, so where better to voice our opinions? Here we go...

Observe away. Seriously though it does both Apple and us, the consumer, a lot of good to air complaints and ideas. In my case it looks like the tax check is back and the SDK announcement tomorrow could add up to new product in daves hands in a few days.

- links to the iTunes Store capability available in the music app, when in wifi zone or whatever

I'm not sure I understand this one. All you have to do is hit the Home key and pop into the store app right?

- ability to click on artist name for more songs (there has to be an alternative to coverflowing through an artist's albums from the 'Now Playing' screen)

I think the two items above highlight that I'm not the big music fan that many here are. That is I can't ever imagining myself creating a play list.

There wold have been a lot of potential in using a Touch as a remote if Apple had simply added BlueTooth. Unfortunately they didn't. NO IR either. I'm really hoping for a Touch upgrade to deal with the lack of BlueTooth real soon now. That one little addition would have a huge impact on the Touches usefulness.

- calendar and contact support of grouping (like choosing which category an event or contact goes into)

I'm sure these will improve over time. Mainly to track features on the desktop variants. Personally I'd like to see complete integration with Yahoo.

- sorting of videos like in other apps, with tabs at the bottom separating podcasts, movies, music videos, etc.

Like your item two below I think Apple really needs to expose the file system to the apps. As your ability to store large collections grows you need to be able to organize it. The best approach here is the traditional file system with trees of folders or directories.

- ability to delete playlists (especially that annoying 'Purchased') and rename on-the-go playlists

Exactly and frankly I don't understand why Apple hasn't dealt with this yet. Even the free software guys and gals have been dealing with the issue as file flow type views of the file system. Currently one of the biggest shortcomings with respect to the Touch is the lack of an easy way to manage all of that storage space.

- reviews showing in iTunes Store, to be able to make informed purchases

This one I have the least confidence in. Lets face it first you have to find a reviewer with the same tastes you have. Then you have to be willing to give up on your own ability to assess the quality of a performance.

- notification of new e-mails appearing on "standby" screen (does this not already happen with the iPhone?)

I have no idea what you are talking about here.

Now, about Thursday, I think Apple needs to simply port a bunch of their Dashboard widgets to the iPhone/Touch interface, like Dictionary, Translation, Unit Converter, etc.

I couldn't agree more, Apple needs to take responsibility for the base software stack. Things like Dictionary should be a no brainer. But if I might Apple needs to go even baser, that is flesh out Mobile OS with things it needs at a lower level. Things such as a file browser (Finder), Bluetooth and networking stacks, BSD components and a terminal. The Browser of course implies access to the files system for all apps.

Post your own!

Like all great things there is always room for improvement. As alluded to above I think the place to start on the Touch and iphone is in base features and services. A quick but incomplete list would be:

Full Bluetooth stack
More complete networking stack
File system access from many of the suplied apps.
Enhanced mail support including offline behaviour.
A file Browser or "Finder"
A real PDF app for viewing PDF of course. A strong emphasis should be placed on large PDF's.
Disk mode or share directory access to at least the users file system. A whole bunch of corporate type things could be done easily if one could access the file system from PC's.
A terminal app an a reasonably large subset of the BSD system.
A Flash video (*.flv) player.
wget
Python with a targeted set of libraries.
A vastly improved calculator. Actually in some ways this is a real big embarrassment with respect to the touch devices right now. All that computing power and all the app can do is add, subtract, divide and multiply.

Well that is just a quick short list! Honestly it only covers software and I could also offer up suggestions for hardware. For a generation 0.75 the touch based devices are off to a good start. I say 0.75 becasue I still don't believe that even Apple has gotten the device to where they want them to be. Hopefully with the SDK event coming up we will get to see what the stable platform will be like, that is the 1.0 version of Touch!

Now if by iPT updates you meant hardware there would be a different set of answers. So here we go:

For the current form factor I don't expect a lot fo change except to offer up Bluetooth and possilby a USB port. Of course I expect flash storage to grow.
On todays device and future devices I expect to see more RAM. Potentially a doubling of available RAM, maybe even more if possible. This should lead to much more useful performance out of things like Safari.
A larger device with an HD screen.
The larger device should have atleast double the flash memory of the current Touch.
The large screen device should have a suitably larger battery.
Speaking os which the Touch could user a larger battery too. The goal here would be 24 hrs of connect time to the RF network (WiFI)
The larger Tocuh needs to have an optional RF connection outside of WiFi. in other words the user should be able to plug in the "modem" of his choice be it WiMax, Edge, 3G or whatever.
Temeprature and other atmospheric conditions sensing.

AS you can see this list doesn't take long to fill out either. The nice thing here is that all of these functions don't need to be built into one unit. It is a family affair you know.

Dave

mekopolis
Mar 5, 2008, 07:35 PM
movie coverflow

contact coverflow

ability to lock certain things like access to emails, photo folders, and or contacts instead of just the beginning lock

ability to sync notes

notes larger than 64k

to do list

games, thats a given

wallpaper/background

ability to download/store applications, even if it is a 100 mb cache folder that you could cache things like pictures of websites on the go, and download when sync with itunes...

ability to buy movies/ music videos over wifi like the itunes

ability to turn off the restriction on photo optimization, because certain photos like topo maps are not readable when synced/optimizated

i have plenty of more ideas but some of them have already been stated and i really should be paying attention to class right now

rascal2u
Mar 5, 2008, 09:42 PM
a) Live Video Capture Capability (LVCC)

b) FCP ported to the IPT (BASIC)

c) Intuitive Text Creation (WP)

d) Fonts Brushes Color Management (EASEL)

e) "Save As" Codec.X (XPLAY)

Basically an on-the-fly art tool. With a base 32gb, this can happen:apple:

BrownManUPS
Mar 5, 2008, 11:40 PM
- Copy/Paste <<This is going to be hard to implement, but definitely is needed, at least when looking at email>>
- Disk mode support (Documents folder on home screen - menus now have 'Save to Documents') <<This should happen when the SDK is fully released, IMO.>>
- Volume adjustment in CoverFlow <<I hate how I have to unlock it, move it vertically, then can use the shortcut when locked to access controls!>>
- BBC iPlayer native application (similar to youtube.app)
- Percentage of charge shown in status bar when connected
- Ability to buy TV (and movies/rentals) through the MS. I don't care about delivery times. <<I think its important that they be fast, and that may mean quality sacrifice>>
- Clock fix (self explanatory) <<What's wrong?>>
- As mentioned, email notifications on 'slide to unlock' screen.
- Option to set an Apple designed screensaver(s) from a range of Apple designed screen savers. (Flurry anyone?) <<Would kill battery life to put heavy amount on such a small LCD>>
- As mentioned, the sorting of video content via 'tabs'
- Wirelessly Sync with iTunes and desired iTunes library. (time to lose the dock Apple). <<That would be a lot of data to send wirelessly though>>
- Maps.app to be able to cache a larger volume of data for offline use.
- CloverFlow view implementation for 'Videos.app'
- CoverFlow view implementation for 'Photos.app'
- Ability to attach video content to emails
- More graphical representation in 'iCal.app' (to match it's OSX counterpart)
- To be able to 'throw' an icon to the next home screen instead of manually drag and move it
- Application switcher for times when an application calls on another for a feature, and you need to switch back.
- 'Clock.app' to be able to render the right time on the icon preview, as iCal.app does currently with the current date.
- Ability to edit tags on both video and music - natively. (useful for when something is synced with the wrong name, or a spelling mistake).

I think this is all very great. (made some small comments) A few other things I would like include:

Map.app refresh: This needs to be usable widescreen as well as able to cache large amounts of data. And the ability to "save a route" to the disk (later picked up when you have access to the storage on there)
More Reliable wi-fi: In general, the wi-fi can drop or be weak AT TIMES. It is really spotty and really not consistent sometimes. If it can be fixed in a macbook, I don't see why some settings tweaks couldn't fix this one.
Stocks: Just make it look a little cleaner, update real-time rather than delay 30 minutes, and don't use Yahoo as your source!! Pick them from GOOG for christ sake!
Weather: Kinda slow, and doesn't automatically update, and DOESNT save what you get in the first place, which is the lamest part of all.
iTunes MS: Really needs the ability to DL podcasts!!
Notes: Apple tried to be clever with a "handwritten font" but it looks stupid and I would rather have just a regular font instead...oh and maybe different colors like on OSX
Mail: Allow better POP support, especially with GMail..AND how bout updates every minute? kthx.

This is a laundry list between the two of us but is definitely not necessarily meaning that the touch is a ****** device. Just needs some sprucing here and there.

ebel3003
Mar 6, 2008, 01:58 AM
XviD please. :D

Transcoding sucks.