Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dman24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
I am a recent convert to Apple and will be purchasing my MB this week. One question I have is which program is best for running Windows as well?

Bootcamp I know comes with Leopard and with it I know you have to boot up your Mac in either Windows or Leopard.

Parallels can be opened while Leopard is running.

VMware I dont know much about.

I thought that Parallels would be the best but I hear that when you run both operating systems at once that the speed is significantly slower. Is this true? I saw that if you purchase your MacBook on MacMall they give you Parallels for free. Has anyone purchased their MacBook from MacMall? Were you happy with them? Recommendations would be great. Thanks all!

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
there are a lot of threads with answers to your questions... search the forums... boot camp is the only way to run windows natively meaning your using all the hardware in your mac... vmware fusion (what i use and would recommend if you go the virtualization route) and parallels run windows like a program in mac os x so your sharing your hardware resources with mac os x... sharing processing power, ram, etc... whichever route you go depends on what you intend on using windows for... i personally use boot camp and have vmware fusion run my boot camp partition virtually so i can boot into windows natively or run it side by side in leopard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.