PDA

View Full Version : A Rotated iPhone Home Screen: Necessary for Business Markets...

MacBytes
Mar 5, 2008, 08:48 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: A Rotated iPhone Home Screen: Necessary for Business Marketshare (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080305094800)
Description:: The iPhone that we all love has a problem when it comes to true infiltration in the business sector. And it is not what you may think. Sure, it needs built-in Outlook capabilities as well as an easier tethering setup. But there is one change to the UI that would change the way businesspeople think about the iPhone: the home screen.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

billmister
Mar 5, 2008, 09:03 AM
i don't think apple has to change. It fits better in your hand upright, and if they were to make the screen sideways view, the dock would be on the bottom and the icons would cover from left to right.

I think the home screen is good already, BUT hopefully with SDk they can make users customise home screen... Then it would be awsome and up to the users to deside how they want their home screen.

overanalyzer
Mar 5, 2008, 09:14 AM
It doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to have the home screen orientation rotate based on the iPhone orientation, like in other applications. I do find it odd sometimes using my phone when I've been doing something in landscape for a while and then go to the home screen.

But in reality nearly all of the apps are currently portrait only...phone, SMS, Mail, Calendar, maps, weather, stocks, clock, calculator, iTunes, and notes are all portrait-only. And YouTube, iPod and photos are all portrait-only for browsing/searching. Safari is really the only application that is fully orientation adaptable. I think more applications would need to be fullly-useable in landscape before having a landscape home screen ability is important.

nantucketlooper
Mar 5, 2008, 09:25 AM
Seems to me that a landscape orientation would facilitate easier thumb typing on key board

numlock
Mar 5, 2008, 09:30 AM
i don't think apple has to change. It fits better in your hand upright, and if they were to make the screen sideways view, the dock would be on the bottom and the icons would cover from left to right.

I think the home screen is good already, BUT hopefully with SDk they can make users customise home screen... Then it would be awsome and up to the users to deside how they want their home screen.

why cant the dock be on the right or left side of the screen like on a computer?

benspratling
Mar 5, 2008, 09:36 AM
Seems to me that a landscape orientation would facilitate easier thumb typing on key board

You don't type on the homescreen.

EagerDragon
Mar 5, 2008, 09:50 AM
Stupid people making stupid generalizations.

A business cares mainly for:
1) Its not so dog ugly that will reflect as unprofessional on the company (wires hanging out, florescent colors and clashing colors).
2) It meets the needs of the business
3) It is a value for what it brings to the table
4) Most users will have little or no problems with the device UI
5) It is reliable.

This guy might as well say another ridiculous statement like: The iPhone is only for males because it does not come in pink.

What needs to be added big time for security conseous corporations is security.
a) Company can lock the phone so only those applications considered safe by the company can be installed.
b) Company can monitor all calls in and out
c) Company can prevent the phone from allowing internet access without going thru the company facilities
d) Only company email service is allowed on the phone
e) Connection to email server is over a secured channel
f) Authomatic ability to erase the content of the phone (cryptographically) is the user enter the password incorrectly too many times
g) If the iphone is lost, ability to send the phone a command to erase all content (cryptographically).
h) Ability to control and record all sites the user may visit and ability to prohibit access to Gmail and other HTML based email services.
i) Ability to disable SMS
j) Ability to control all storage on the iPhone so that all data is always encrypted.
k) Ability to force the email client to use secured emailing like S/MIME for example when the emails go to non company personnel.

You may not work in a company that has needs like the above, and may complain about the lack of privacy.

Well if the phone belongs to the corporation ..... It is their phone and their AT&T account, you are just being provided access to the device, as such they want full control and leagly they can listen in on all traffic including phone and emails. They don't want to end up in court because of your actions so they will also block all the sites they don't like or consider unsafe.

Most of the above security features (not all) are available in Blackberries in combination with their server software (BES). That is why the Blackberry is such a big hit.

Most UI items make little to no different to a corporation.

I work with a corporation that has over 40,000 Blackberry phones and I performed the risk assessment for the device so I am familiar with what it can do and the security features. As it stand today the iPhone does not have a chance in hell in being used in our company until it can do the above and more.

Not sure what that guy is smoking.

meagain
Mar 5, 2008, 10:28 AM

Not for me. I can type much better/faster with the screen vertical than when the keyboard is in horizontal/landscape/big mode. Thumbs don't have to move as far (thumbs are born with limited movement). I liken this to a galley style kitchen vs. working in a 13 x 13 room with no island.

And - this is probably the most bizarre and ridiculous article I've read yet.

RevolutionOne
Mar 5, 2008, 10:47 AM
It would annoy the hell out of me to be able to rotate the home screen. When I'm using safari, any short sharp movement and it rotates when I dont want it to. It's a cool wow factor feature but should be able to be turned off.

nantucketlooper
Mar 5, 2008, 01:16 PM
You don't type on the homescreen.

Can you get landscape orientation with your text message screen?

coolfactor
Mar 5, 2008, 01:31 PM
What needs to be added big time for security conseous corporations is security.
a) Company can lock the phone so only those applications considered safe by the company can be installed.
b) Company can monitor all calls in and out
c) Company can prevent the phone from allowing internet access without going thru the company facilities
d) Only company email service is allowed on the phone
e) Connection to email server is over a secured channel
f) Authomatic ability to erase the content of the phone (cryptographically) is the user enter the password incorrectly too many times
g) If the iphone is lost, ability to send the phone a command to erase all content (cryptographically).
h) Ability to control and record all sites the user may visit and ability to prohibit access to Gmail and other HTML based email services.
i) Ability to disable SMS
j) Ability to control all storage on the iPhone so that all data is always encrypted.
k) Ability to force the email client to use secured emailing like S/MIME for example when the emails go to non company personnel.

I'm sure glad I don't work for your company. Man, what is the world coming to?

Drumjim85
Mar 5, 2008, 01:36 PM
Can you get landscape orientation with your text message screen?

no, but is that the home screen?

EagerDragon
Mar 5, 2008, 03:47 PM
I'm sure glad I don't work for your company. Man, what is the world coming to?

Full and total control.

A lot of that above is required by laws related to the industry we are in. I have the fun job of listing all they need to enable to lock it down to the needs of the company. As you probably guessed by now I am very popular with the Blackberry users, LOL.

We even prevented them from using bluetooth by locking it down.

VoodooDaddy
Mar 5, 2008, 04:01 PM
Not for me. I can type much better/faster with the screen vertical than when the keyboard is in horizontal/landscape/big mode. Thumbs don't have to move as far (thumbs are born with limited movement). I liken this to a galley style kitchen vs. working in a 13 x 13 room with no island.

And - this is probably the most bizarre and ridiculous article I've read yet.

Well what works best for you doesnt mean its the best for everyone. I personally would love landscape typing in email.

EagerDragon
Mar 5, 2008, 06:54 PM
Well what works best for you doesnt mean its the best for everyone. I personally would love landscape typing in email.

Every application should work in portrait and landscape IMHO. Let the user decide what works best for him/her.

zap2
Mar 5, 2008, 07:22 PM
the home screen doesn't need to be landscape, but it wouldn't be terrible for apple to set you set it like it(maybe something in setting, so it would only rotate the home screen if it let it)

but SMS and Notes, I'd love some landscape support!

edit- and email and coverflow for iTunes videos