Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDawg12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this board and I am happy to say that I have been using a nice shiny 20 inch iMac since December. The machine is wonderful and have no problems with it. I have searched a lot of threads on this board, and like many others, I have begun to start considering installing Windows on the machine for the sole purpose of playing some games that just can't be played on the Mac. Not trying to have this devolve in to an XP vs. Vista thread since there are plenty of those but i am hoping that people can help with these 2 questions. And I apologize in advance if they are covered in other threads but I just didn't see these questions answered:

1) I know that both XP and Vista have service packs that help with firewall content and keeping viruses out. I also know from reading the threads that if you partition the HD if anything infects Windows it will keep the Mac portion clean (most likely). The question i have then, is after installing Windows what other programs do any of you recommend to install to help protect Windows from outside stuff. I ask this aside from the obvious things of not opening up emails, going to dangerous websites, etc.

2) Is there any way to almost "disconnect" windows from being online so that when i install windows there is no way anything can enter the system and corrupt anything? Is this even worth it to do? I hope that question makes sense.

Thanks again in advance for any help with these questions. This site really is a wonderful resource for people like me who are new to the Mac :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I build my Windows machines behind a router so that incoming connections from internet background radiation as just dropped.

I use nLite to install all the Windows updates before I ever even install Windows.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this board and I am happy to say that I have been using a nice shiny 20 inch iMac since December. The machine is wonderful and have no problems with it. I have searched a lot of threads on this board, and like many others, I have begun to start considering installing Windows on the machine for the sole purpose of playing some games that just can't be played on the Mac. Not trying to have this devolve in to an XP vs. Vista thread since there are plenty of those but i am hoping that people can help with these 2 questions. And I apologize in advance if they are covered in other threads but I just didn't see these questions answered:

1) I know that both XP and Vista have service packs that help with firewall content and keeping viruses out. I also know from reading the threads that if you partition the HD if anything infects Windows it will keep the Mac portion clean (most likely). The question i have then, is after installing Windows what other programs do any of you recommend to install to help protect Windows from outside stuff. I ask this aside from the obvious things of not opening up emails, going to dangerous websites, etc.

2) Is there any way to almost "disconnect" windows from being online so that when i install windows there is no way anything can enter the system and corrupt anything? Is this even worth it to do? I hope that question makes sense.

Thanks again in advance for any help with these questions. This site really is a wonderful resource for people like me who are new to the Mac :)

Windows isn't that bad that just by doing normal things you will get spyware or viruses. You have to do something, like go to a bad website, download something, etc...That being said, there are programs you can use yes. For example lavasoft make a personal spyware program (to rid of spyware). There are free antivirus programs such as AVG. You could "disconnect" from the internet as you say by disabling the network connections. The computer would not be able to get online. I would say this is pretty extreme. Especially if you are just using Windows for some casual gaming.
Oh, and btw, Vista's service pack is not officially released yet, that will come later this month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.