Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prabz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
Meri PHILLY meri jaan!
So, come December I'm definitely buying an Al Powerbook 1.25Ghz, Christmas sale or no Christmas sale:p

I intend to upgrade it to 1GB of RAM; and after doing an extensive search on macrumors I found out that it is prudent to buy the *least* amount of RAM from Apple and then upgrading it with RAM bought from online retailerz like Crucial or DealRAM. However, I found hardly any difference in price when I last checked at these sites; i.e.,
1 GB DDR PC2700 for ±$320.

By the way, I'm comparing this price with Apple's ADC student discount, which I'm entitled to.
So, does this mean I'm good whether or not I have it upgraded through Apple?

Forgive me, but I'm absolutely new to the RAM scenario. Heck, it took me a while to figure out that what Apple refers to as "DDR333 SDRAM" is the same as "DDR PC2700" and that "PC" had nothing to do with Windows "PC" :eek:. I've yet to find out, though, WTF "SO-DIMMs" or "184-pin DIMM" mean!!

Thanks gang!
Prabz

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Many people have found RAM for the new PowerBooks to be about the same price as retail... I would say go ahead and buy it from Apple at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.