Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mooter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
i currently have a 5th gen and 3rd gen iPod and was trying to do the harddrive scan on both. the 3rd gen iPod has been having battery issues and I was just trying to see if it was only the battery or if the hdd was having problems too, so i went to the diagnostic menu and started the hdd scan... i left it for about 15 minutes and came back and it was at the same screen:

HDD SCAN
START....

and it had a black bar at the bottom... also noticed when i finally took it off the dock because it wasn't doing anything that it was very hott (not sure if it was just because it was using so much power) but my question is does it normally take so long to complete a scan? did i take it off too soon?

also with my 5G ipod i wanted to run a HDD scan just to see how long it would take on that one, however when i went to the diagnostic test for this one it HDD Scan isn't even one of the options i thought under harddrive it was supposed to have 4 options:
-HDSpecs
-HDScan
-HDSMARTData
-HDRW

i only have 2: HDSpecs and HDSMARTData any reason why?

TLDR:
-how long does it take for a 3rd gen ipod to do a hdd scan?

-why doesnt my 5th gen have an option for HDD Scan?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.