Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
How do ya'll "hold" your Airs when you're on the couch, etc?

My last few years of Apple notebooks have all been 15"ers (PowerBooks/MBPs) and I've always used a 15" iLap vs. putting the warmer-than-I-like notebook directly on my lap.

I'm reading that the Airs run cooler than the MBPs, so I'm wondering if I'll even need a 13" iLap for it.

Just curious how everyone manages theirs... :)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I use one of two thingiemabobbers... 1) a 12" iLap I got when I had my 12" PB/ iB if I'm using the MBA in bed. I'll also use a very simple Targus "Traveler Coolpad" that is just a two pieces of plastic that will swivel (to allow the 'puter to spin around a bit) with two nubbins to prop the back side of the MBA up and off the flat surface. I use that if I'm using the MBA on desk-like surface or when I'm sitting on the sofa.

:edit: I found a pic:

coolpad.jpg

rom

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2006
I use the 15" iLap whenever I feel like it but for quick MBA use, using it bare on my lap is fine.

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
Ditto... it's no problem to run on your lap. Much, much, much cooler than the MBP 15 and 17. I use a couch pillow sometimes but only to prop it up closer to my eyes. I'm 6'3" and it bothers my neck to stare down that far for too long. ;)

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
The Zalman ZM-NC1000 in silver is not a bad choice if you don't want an elevated stand. The size fits the Air widthwise perfectly. Lengthwise the NC1000 is deeper than the Air is. The shape of the stand IMO complements the Air.

http://www.quietpcusa.com/Zalman-NC2000-S-Quiet-Laptop-Notebook-Cooler-Silver-P385C30.aspx

The USB passthrough doesn't seem to work unfortunately, although that could just be me being thick, or having a slightly older version without the USB cable storage and height adjustment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.