PDA

View Full Version : G4 533 DP vs. 700 eMac?

DonTheTrucker
Mar 5, 2008, 08:38 PM
I apologize if this isn't the right forum for me to ask this question, but I'm still a Mac newbie so here goes:

I have the opportunity to basically trade my 700mhz G4 eMac for a dual 533 G4. The eMac is fine for what I use it for but I have noticed some slowness when doing things like watching streaming videos and even a little bit when loading webpages (its not my connection, that's plenty fast enough for my pc). I have done some looking and see that the dual 533 does a little better on Geekbench than the 700. So with comparable memory would the dual 533 perform better than the 700?

Lord Zedd
Mar 6, 2008, 03:24 PM
With OS9, no.
With OSX, yes.

macz1
Mar 6, 2008, 04:32 PM
If you want better video streaming it's perhaps better to keep the 700 MHz because many video decoders are single threaded (eg. youtube). For many other things such as Finder, Photoshop, Mail and surfing on the Web dhe DP should perform better.
You can also add a faster supplementar harddrive more easily. with a fast HD a mac feels noticeably more responsive. Helps with cached websites

Firefly2002
Mar 6, 2008, 07:50 PM
Above advice is very good.

I'd definitely go for the Dual 533, primarily because it's a.) a dual processor machine, and b.) it's highly upgradeable. I believe you can get up to 2 GB of RAM in there... and you can of course upgrade the video card, the CPU (up to dual 2 GHz now), and have plenty of hard drives (I think you've got an ATA/66 controller in there so you don't need to bother upgrading, unless you've got your heart set on SATA).

The emac.. .you really can't do anything with. Other than RAM. And I imagine that'd be a pain. Digital Audio dual 533's a good machine.

DonTheTrucker
Mar 6, 2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the advice!

The other thing I've noticed is a lot of pinwheels while loading pages and just overall slow responsiveness when trying enter passwords and such on webpages.

So I may give the dp 533 a shot.

Thanks again guys!