Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
10 years? maybe. Optical chips have already been in development for almost 2 decades. Still, DSPs are specialized, and won't be able to take over the tasks of a general processor like the G5 or whatever.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
With all the new technology coming online in the next decade, its only going to be getting better for the consumer.

Personally, I'd love to have a real supercomputer on my desk now ;)

D

stoid

macrumors 601
Not know much about the inner workings of computer chips, it seems like the best idea is going to be to design a technology that can be employed in current chip rather than create a whole new chip design. But, I'm sure if that's what is the best idea, that's what they are doing.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by cb911
great. just imagine how easy it will be to kill people in 10 years time.:rolleyes:

as unfortunate as it is, the military pushes for the development of a lot of things we end up using every single day.

i just wish they would discover things, and then never use them, but let us use the underlying technologies such as GPS.

but, it seems to be human nature to kill eachother.

anyone ever see that movie where wars were fought with a guy in a gigantic robot inside a stadium? that would be a nice way to settle things. only a couple lives at stake insead of millions...

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by idkew
anyone ever see that movie where wars were fought with a guy in a gigantic robot inside a stadium? that would be a nice way to settle things. only a couple lives at stake insead of millions...

LOL, that sounds like the:
'One_Must_Fall' series

One%20Must%20Fall-Battlegrounds.gif

At any rate there is too much going on in computing.

Diamond processors, Power5, 64 Bit Processing, Light Processors... too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.