Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m i k e

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I have web space and would like to host some sort of online drive that I can access. I would like to then be able to download files from this drive that will automatically save (upload) back to the drive when I save them on the machine where I happen to be working. Does anyone know of any web applications that can do this or something close/something that will serve the same purpose? Thanks.

Cepe Indicum

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2006
I know not everyone likes it, but .Mac (specifically iDisk)? Or are you looking for a free solution?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Some FTP programs can work this way, or programs with built-in FTP capabilities. I think Coda and BBEdit can do that, but that's for plain text files. Not sure what type of files you want to work with.

If you have SSH capability to the server you can use Macfuse to mount a drive in Mac and work from that. I use it from time to time and works very nicely.

mason.kramer

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2007
Watertown, MA
What you are talking about (save on computer -> save on remote drive) is called folder syncing (specifically, one way syncing). Now, there's not a good free folder syncing program out there. Chronosync Just Works but you pay; free syncing is best achieved by an rsync script called by chron (google it; lifehacker did a piece). If you rsync to a folder that is served from the internet, for instance, from a directory on your web hosting server, you get the functionality you're talking about.

I'm pretty sure rsync can work with the ftp protocol, but it doesn't use the ftp protocol by default (it uses ssh by default, and chances are you don't have a shell account on your webhost). You'll have to read about rsync.

If you didn't have a web hosting package, I'd say you're out of luck. I don't know of any free drive sites. Cuz, you know, it costs money to make a drive available through an internet connection. How would a company generate revenue from the service? You won't be going to a website to get your files, so you won't be looking at ads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.