PDA

View Full Version : Mini DVI, HDMI

sculptor
Mar 6, 2008, 02:26 AM
New to using a Mac, and I'm curious, why Mini DVI, and now Micro DVI for Air, instead of using HDMI?

.........Curtis

kid rock
Mar 6, 2008, 04:30 AM
mini dvi because you can use one of 3 adaptors:

Mini Dvi to VGA
or
Mini Dvi to Dvi
or
Mini Dvi to S-Video

basically not tieing you down to a certain output.

ipersonally bought the Mini Dvi to Dvi adaptor and then bought the DVi to HDMI adaptor (both from the apple store) so that i can plug my mac into my TV

Si:apple:

mosx
Mar 6, 2008, 06:26 AM
mini dvi because you can use one of 3 adaptors:

Mini Dvi to VGA
or
Mini Dvi to Dvi
or
Mini Dvi to S-Video

basically not tieing you down to a certain output.

ipersonally bought the Mini Dvi to Dvi adaptor and then bought the DVi to HDMI adaptor (both from the apple store) so that i can plug my mac into my TV

Si:apple:

It's mainly so Apple can charge outrageous prices for the adapters ;) Why include a standard port when they can charge $20 for something that costs 50 cents to make?

HDMI is DVI out, so there could still be DVI to VGA and VGA to S-Video. HDMI would just be nice for everyone else. But then Apple's profit margin wouldn't be as high.

diamond.g
Mar 6, 2008, 06:28 AM
It's mainly so Apple can charge outrageous prices for the adapters ;) Why include a standard port when they can charge $20 for something that costs 50 cents to make?

HDMI is DVI out, so there could still be DVI to VGA and VGA to S-Video. HDMI would just be nice for everyone else. But then Apple's profit margin wouldn't be as high.

AFAIK HDMI drops DVI-A support, which means no more VGA.

TheStu
Mar 6, 2008, 12:19 PM

OK, lets wipe that smug little smirk off your face.

Apple uses a proprietary connector for a standard interface. You know why they haven't switched to HDMI? BECAUSE IT IS DVI YOU PRAT!

From a DVI, or Mini-DVI, or Micro-DVI port, I can connect to:
DVI
HMDI
VGA
SVideo
Component
Composite

With an HDMI port, I can connect to:
DVI
HDMI

Do you think maybe people would like to connect to these admittedly older but still viable ports? Perhaps to a projector or older television? How about to a CRT monitor?

They use Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI for 2 reasons that I can see. One, they want DVI and all the goodies that comes with it, but (2) they cannot find a way to fit a full size DVI port on the side of the system.

VS007
Apr 13, 2008, 01:00 AM
I have a MacAir and tried connecting MiniDVI -> DVI -> HDMI and I could see the desktop background on TV, but it was not the same one shown on my laptop. Neither the mouse nor any other window is displayed on TV.

The only window displayed on TV is the "Change Desktop Background", but any change to the background is not being reflected on TV.

Looks like MacAir is displaying some other background on TV.

Any help would be appreciated.

aristobrat
Apr 13, 2008, 01:24 AM
Sounds like it was using it as second display instead of mirroring your main display.

In the System Preferences, under the Display tab, you should have the ability to tell it to mirror. That option is only there when a second display is connected, though.

VS007
Apr 13, 2008, 02:20 AM
Sounds like it was using it as second display instead of mirroring your main display.

In the System Preferences, under the Display tab, you should have the ability to tell it to mirror. That option is only there when a second display is connected, though.

Thanks Aristobrat! You made my day!

Opened the Display Tab, Clicked on detect displays and the then turn on mirroring and it started working.

Wow! The picture quality is amazing.

Cheers

jason999
Apr 13, 2008, 02:44 AM
New to using a Mac, and I'm curious, why Mini DVI, and now Micro DVI for Air, instead of using HDMI?

.........Curtis

Probably to force you to buy an adapter from the same company to go from dvi to hdmi.

TheStu
Apr 13, 2008, 11:09 AM
Probably to force you to buy an adapter from the same company to go from dvi to hdmi.

Read through the rest of the thread, that point has already been made, and IMO is shortsighted. Yes, MiniDVI is proprietary, yes I would have preferred a full DVI connector. However, I would not want HDMI since it does not allow Dual-Link, nor does it allow for analog signals. Even if it had been HDMI, unless you already had the cables you still would be buying them. And if it was full DVI, and you wanted to be able to hook up to everything, you would need to buy adapters. Sure, you can get them cheaper elsewhere, but is $20 really that expensive when viewed in comparison to the cost of the rest of the system?

What I really wish is that there were more people making MiniDVI adapters. Right now I only know of Apple and Dynex making them.

Uoila
Apr 14, 2008, 01:57 PM
It's mainly so Apple can charge outrageous prices for the adapters

It looks that way......

jason999
Apr 15, 2008, 01:16 AM
Read through the rest of the thread, that point has already been made, and IMO is shortsighted. Yes, MiniDVI is proprietary, yes I would have preferred a full DVI connector. However, I would not want HDMI since it does not allow Dual-Link, nor does it allow for analog signals. Even if it had been HDMI, unless you already had the cables you still would be buying them. And if it was full DVI, and you wanted to be able to hook up to everything, you would need to buy adapters. Sure, you can get them cheaper elsewhere, but is $20 really that expensive when viewed in comparison to the cost of the rest of the system?

What I really wish is that there were more people making MiniDVI adapters. Right now I only know of Apple and Dynex making them.

Dual Link hdmi is available.

xraydoc
Apr 15, 2008, 11:04 PM
Dual Link hdmi is available.

But there is no HDMI to VGA (no analog signals on an HDMI port). That's a problem for many people.

harcosparky
Apr 16, 2008, 09:32 AM

Ahh yes, the cynical answer.

Is HDMI a standard port? Then why do TV makers include, HDMI , DVI, Component, and Analog connectors on TV sets? Oh yeah all of them are or were standard at some time! :D

Personally I prefer to not use any adapters at all, but if I need to I will use ONE, it makes sense from a practical standpoint to create a single common connector, even if proprietary. Then the user can select an adapter from that common proprietary connector to one of their choosing.

Then again there is the issue of connector survivability.

Let's face it, in most cases when a device is connected anywhere else but on a notebook it is connected and it stays connected. In the notebook environment it is connected and disconnected many times over, and over and over again.

Would the HDMI connector stand up as well to this aggressive use, as the connector chosen by Apple?

Then there are space considerations, what is the footprint of an HDMI connector on a logic board, as opposed to the Mini connector?

SteveL227
Apr 22, 2008, 01:42 PM
so if I have it right, in order for my new Macbook to talk to a powerpoint slide projector with a VGA port, I can connect like this:

...6" cable from Apple: mini DVI to DVI-D female
...connect to 6' DVI-D male --> DVI-D male cable
...connect to DVI-A female / VGA male adapter
...plug adapter into VGA port on projector.

Is this right?

xraydoc
Apr 23, 2008, 02:54 PM
so if I have it right, in order for my new Macbook to talk to a powerpoint slide projector with a VGA port, I can connect like this:

Is this right?
No, not correct.

Mini-DVI to VGA adapter is all you need. One part. $19.

Uoila
Apr 24, 2008, 12:08 AM
xraydoc is right.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/StoreReentry.wo?productLearnMore=M9320G/A

TheStu
Apr 24, 2008, 06:21 AM
No, not correct.

Mini-DVI to VGA adapter is all you need. One part. $19.

Well, that and a VGA cable, that should already be available. The MiniDVI-VGA gives you a VGA Female connector, so you would need a Male-Male cable.

SteveL227
Apr 24, 2008, 09:23 AM
Well, that and a VGA cable, that should already be available. The MiniDVI-VGA gives you a VGA Female connector, so you would need a Male-Male cable.

Thanks, guys. Now TheStu points out one of the real reasons I was thinking of my elaborate cable/adapter combos ... the miniDVI-to-VGA dongle adapter from Apple is just too short to make rational connections, so as he points out I would also need a male-male VGA-to-VGA cable to extend the reach (and I already have one).

But I also expect to connect the MB to a HDTV, and want to preserve my options for DVI or HDMI usage. So starting with that short miniDVI-to-DVI connector from Apple, plus various DVI/HDMI/VGA adapters and cables, seems to give me the most flexibility. Also, since HDMI doesn't carry analog signals (hence no VGA), I guess I can't use a miniDVI-to-HDMI Apple connector and then run HDMI cable to another adapter to get VGA connection ... hence my scheme of starting with miniDVI-to-DVI.

Also, this scheme means I only have to buy one $20 Apple miniDVI connector and can get all of the other cables/adapters I need from much cheaper sources. By the way, I have ordered from www.cablewholesale.com and they have great prices/selections. Their 6' DVI-D-to-HDMI cables are around $7.25 as compared to Apple's $20 for the same thing.

SteveL227
May 5, 2008, 03:35 PM

Is this right?
=====================================
Ok, now I have to correct myself. The Apple mini-DVI to DVI dongle clearly ends in DVI-D which DOES NOT carry an analog signal. So my scheme above to connect to a VGA projector will not work. The parts will all connect together, but the Apple dongle does not pass through a VGA signal. If Apple had a mini-DVI to DVI-I (or DVI-A), my scheme will work. I've read of a third party (Dynex) mini-DVI to DVI-I dongle, but the reviews say it doesn't work (have written the Dynex customer support). Since Apple doesn't have what I want, I may have to use an Apple mini-DVI to VGA dongle and connect to a VGA-to-VGA cable.

spiderpiglet
Dec 31, 2008, 04:36 AM
all right all you mac attacks, i have a crappy toshiba pc but i feel so sorry for you guys i'll answer this question. First we have to start at the beginning of the digital video interconnect aka DVI. This was the 1st pure digital video interface from computer to display. It was developed by Apple. It was only designed to go from desktop to monitor, which is usually less than 5 to 7 feet. Then along came HDTV. The original HDTV's used component video inputs (analog) with a few exceptions sometime u saw VGA ports. The first HD source equipment was a RCA satallite Reciever with an analog VGA cablet, which was easily converted to Component video throuhg a passive easily converted to an analog Component video through a passive wire. really it didn't mean much since all TVs back then were CRTs (also Analog). Well then fixed pixal displays finally hit the market. DLP, LCD And Plasmas (all Digital diplays). So to keep the whole chain of info all digital the electronics industry adopted DVI to carry the the digital signal all the way from the source to the and not gofemall the wTV manufactures and Consumer Electronics began to use DVI to keep the digital signal unbroken. Well Holly wood wouldn't stand for it. They Said They didnt want people to be able to make a perfect digital copy of there intellectual property. So the industry came up with DVI/HDCP aka Digital Video Interface /High Definition copywrite protection. That meant even if your source equipmitment and/or the recieving equipment had a DVI connection But not the HDCP, the two will not sync. Two pieces with with both DVI/HDCP will sync.

Then came along HDMI (High Definition Muultimedia Interface) which is basicly pin for pin DVI but without audio and a little more bandwith but it also has HDCP So to make a long story short u r trying to connect a DVI connection with out HDCP to a HDMI which can only communicate with devices with the HDMI Protocal. They Call it the two way hand shank. Even on some nice plasma that u can set the HDMI input to a PC input which means it won't over scan like video inputs do. They wont Sync untill apple pput HDCP protical on the min DVI out. Just Go with the mini DVI to VGA which on the tv is under PC input. The PC input is the only input with that dose not overscan. I saw a pioneer that could change its one of its HDMI1 into a HDMI/PC Input it would not sync either. Just buy the Mini dvi to VGA
For those who don't know what over scan means I'll explain, the picture u see on you tv is only 98% to 90% of the original picture that the source aka (DVD, antennae, Satillite, cable even Blu ray) sent out. Witch means you lose 2 to 10% of the original picture around the edges of your tv.

mosx
Dec 31, 2008, 05:32 AM
Wow this thread was brought back from the grave. And I realized I never replied. So I will now.

OK, lets wipe that smug little smirk off your face.

Apple uses a proprietary connector for a standard interface. You know why they haven't switched to HDMI? BECAUSE IT IS DVI YOU PRAT!

From a DVI, or Mini-DVI, or Micro-DVI port, I can connect to:
DVI
HMDI
VGA
SVideo
Component
Composite

With an HDMI port, I can connect to:
DVI
HDMI

Do you think maybe people would like to connect to these admittedly older but still viable ports? Perhaps to a projector or older television? How about to a CRT monitor?

They use Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI for 2 reasons that I can see. One, they want DVI and all the goodies that comes with it, but (2) they cannot find a way to fit a full size DVI port on the side of the system.

A CRT monitor? People still use or own those? I haven't seen one of those in at least 5 years.

Every respectable LCD monitor made in the last few years has had HDMI input, so the use of an HDMI to DVI adapter is not even needed. Many monitors have optical audio output to pass the audio from the HDMI cable out to another processor if you choose to use it that way also.

And now we have mini-display port on the aluminum Macs. Thats even worse for consumers but better for Apple.

Apple now gets to charge $29.99 because the port is even smaller. The best part? DisplayPort is an ENTIRELY royalty free standard. So Apple doesn't have to pay ANYONE to use that port or make the adapter for it. Apple pockets that entire $30 you spend on the adapter, minus the 50 cents it costs to make it.

Why not drop these idiotic display standards and just put in HDMI? Sure Apple would have to pay 3 cents to include the port, but it'd be a lot better for consumers.

Longbow
Feb 6, 2009, 12:58 PM
Most of the postings here are about hooking up a digital monitor to one's Mac via the DVI to Mini DVI adaptor. My question is will this adaptor work for running a PowerPoint presentation through a digital projector. Since most of the digital/multimedia projectors are PC based, I am increasingly having a hell of time using my MacBook with these items.

I do a lot of travel and usually just bring a flash disc with my work and use the local organization's computer. However, I run into many problems with cross platform PowerPoint programs not accepting my 2008 version.

Any ideas?

fedup flyer
Feb 7, 2009, 04:08 PM
Hey everybody look....MOSX the the TROLL is back.

A CRT monitor? People still use or own those? I haven't seen one of those in at least 5 years.

Believe it or not, quite a few people still use 'em. Esp since 5 yrs ago flat panels were crazy expensive.

Every respectable LCD monitor made in the last few years has had HDMI input, so the use of an HDMI to DVI adapter is not even needed. Many monitors have optical audio output to pass the audio from the HDMI cable out to another processor if you choose to use it that way also.

Yeah, the higher end consumer models do have HDMI and Not everyone wants to spend $600+ for a 22' monitor. Not to mention the propietary crap that is built into HDMI for "Digital Rights"

Why not drop these idiotic display standards and just put in HDMI? Sure Apple would have to pay 3 cents to include the port, but it'd be a lot better for consumers.

Because you can't go HDMI to VGA easily. Believe it or not, quite a few projectors out there still use VGA and S-Video.

diamond.g
Feb 7, 2009, 04:17 PM
Not to mention the propietary crap that is built into HDMI for "Digital Rights"The same proprietary crap that Display port supports? :rolleyes:

Chappers
Feb 8, 2009, 11:35 PM
Hey everybody look....MOSX the the TROLL is back.

Sorry to upset you but that post of his was 31st Dec 2008

MacAgent84
Feb 9, 2009, 04:40 AM
It's true, these switches on the portables lately has been a bit troublesome for buyers looking for an end-all cable for all of their devices. But, this is a transitional period, and the Mini DisplayPort and DisplayPort are brilliant concepts and formats. Let's just hope they take off in the mainstream and many vendors start licensing them.

Musick7
Jan 15, 2010, 04:05 PM
Check out www.MonoPrice.com
Here is a Link to Mini DVI to DVI adapter.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041912&p_id=4851&seq=1&format=2

Here is a link to all three I've found on Mono Price website.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419

There around $7.00 per adapter... Shipping is around $3. or $4.
Ive ordered from this and can confirm its legit website. ANY one else that can confirm your experience of Mono Price .com please add to this.

Hope this helps.

dnguyen
Jan 15, 2010, 05:10 PM
i haven't ordered from www.monoprice.com but have personal friends who have and they think its good too.

seems to be a good place to get your cable / wiring at decent prices.