PDA

View Full Version : Cult of Jobs a Problem for Apple

MacBytes
Mar 6, 2008, 09:45 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Cult of Jobs a Problem for Apple (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080306104516)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

al256
Mar 6, 2008, 10:00 AM
I think Apple is hitting a new era with Steve where we're going to see his ego exceeding his value at Apple. Don't get me wrong. I loved Steve and he probably was the only thing that could've saved Apple but I think unless his passes on the CEO position and takes a backseat at Apple we'll begin to hit a ceiling. Just some thoughts..

TJones
Mar 6, 2008, 10:18 AM
Do you really think his best option is to do what Bill Gates did at Microsoft and hand the reigns over to Balmer? I think he should keep doing whatever it is that's he's doing and when he dies or retires if the people left at Apple can't keep it together I'm sure there's a garage out there somewhere with some bright people with a crazy idea that will revolutionize the way we live.

aleksander
Mar 6, 2008, 10:35 AM
But why to revolutionize in the first place? Take a walk.

k2spitfire88
Mar 6, 2008, 10:46 AM
I think that right now, Jobs is what makes :apple: what it is. He needs to groom someone as innovative for when he retires/dies, but for now, his energy and enthuisiasm is what makes :apple: what it is

QuarterSwede
Mar 6, 2008, 10:53 AM
Just two talking heads that always over analyze everything for ratings.

metanoia
Mar 6, 2008, 11:22 AM
Do you really think his best option is to do what Bill Gates did at Microsoft and hand the reigns over to Balmer? I think he should keep doing whatever it is that's he's doing and when he dies or retires if the people left at Apple can't keep it together I'm sure there's a garage out there somewhere with some bright people with a crazy idea that will revolutionize the way we live.

Yup, Ballmer is relying on FUD to keep Microsoft going. He's going to run that company into the ground.

BenRoethig
Mar 7, 2008, 06:12 AM
Do you really think his best option is to do what Bill Gates did at Microsoft and hand the reigns over to Balmer?

No, I think he should hand the reigns over to Eric Schmidt who is much smarter than Balmer. Steve Jobs has given us direction, but he also gives us biases. For Apple to reach its full potential, we need someone who will continue the policies of Jobs but not ignore something important because its not what they do personally.

Genghis Khan
Mar 7, 2008, 06:59 AM
i love how people respond to issues differently given a different article:rolleyes:

a well-intentioned dictator is better than a democracy

at least a dictator will get things done when THEY want

jobs gets what he wants done, regardless of what anyone else thinks...and from what i'm seeing apple has been going from strength to strength theses last 10 years

and nothings gone wrong, everyone's still got post MacWorld jitters that there wasn't anythign as awesome as iPhone

netdog
Mar 7, 2008, 07:01 AM
Without Jobs, Apple would have gone the way of the Amiga.

ZiggyPastorius
Mar 7, 2008, 02:29 PM
I think that right now, Jobs is what makes :apple: what it is. He needs to groom someone as innovative for when he retires/dies, but for now, his energy and enthuisiasm is what makes :apple: what it is

Well, whether it's working or not is one question, but, I think he tries to do that every day at Apple. From what I've heard from him and others in interviews and such, is that he tries to make sure everyone at Apple has the pride and passion to be a really good employee. He wants people who think about what's best for Apple, separate what is great from what is good, et cetera. I don't know if his employees are really coming out that way, or if it's enough for one of his underlings to have the kind of impact he has, but, it's sure a plus.

Also, I have an off-topic question that I may as well ask, even though I could probably look it up online...When a CEO steps down, do they get an honorable seat/position in the company, one with still quite a bit of say/influence/power? Or do they just become however powerful of a shareholder they are?

Eraserhead
Mar 7, 2008, 02:37 PM
Also, I have an off-topic question that I may as well ask, even though I could probably look it up online...When a CEO steps down, do they get an honorable seat/position in the company, one with still quite a bit of say/influence/power? Or do they just become however powerful of a shareholder they are?

I think it depends on how successful they are, the company, and who becomes CEO next.

Jobs will probably always have some sway at Apple, just like Woz does now.

rph105
Mar 7, 2008, 11:07 PM
jonathan ive is going to carry the baton, trust me

satcomer
Mar 8, 2008, 02:14 PM
Yup, Ballmer is relying on FUD to keep Microsoft going. He's going to run that company into the ground.

Exactly! Look at the evidence, it's all around. He is even slowly disbanding the Mac section. I predict this current Mac version of is the last version of that program for OS X!

The evidence is the the poor release of the latest Mac Microsoft Office. Plus besides Office, what else has the MacBU division put out. I remember the MacBU used to put out many more programs. Gone are Media Player, Outlook (Entourage is a poor replacement), PST converter and others. The MacBU is being strip of personnel and it showing!.

Watabou
Mar 8, 2008, 05:42 PM
Is jobs close to retiring? I didn't think so. He's 53 and i thought he would stay "iCEO" for 4 or something more years.

IJ Reilly
Mar 8, 2008, 05:57 PM
I think it depends on how successful they are, the company, and who becomes CEO next.

Jobs will probably always have some sway at Apple, just like Woz does now.

It also depends on how much stock they hold. Steve has plenty.

As for Wozniak, as nearly as I can tell, he has zero influence at Apple. He's been out of the loop for 25 years.

TFM
Mar 15, 2008, 08:21 PM
Jobs has single-handedly make Mac what it is - why would anyone think he should step down?

twoodcc
Mar 16, 2008, 01:02 AM
i like Steve Jobs and all, but when it's time, Apple will be fine when he steps down. they aren't stupid

k2spitfire88
Apr 8, 2008, 10:10 AM
I think as long as he is innovative he should stay, and keep giving us quality (i hope) :apple: products!

BenRoethig
Apr 8, 2008, 10:39 AM
The Problem isn't his sense of innovation, its him not paying attention to anything he's not personally interested in. Most of Apple's fortunes are bet on fads right now. I want something of substance to keep people on the platform when the bubble bursts.

IJ Reilly
Apr 8, 2008, 11:16 AM
The Problem isn't his sense of innovation, its him not paying attention to anything he's not personally interested in. Most of Apple's fortunes are bet on fads right now. I want something of substance to keep people on the platform when the bubble bursts.

You mean, like the Mac, the iPod and the iPhone? What do you want to Apple to do, start mining coal?

digitalnicotine
Apr 8, 2008, 11:30 AM
I find it a bit difficult to make the stretch that Steve Jobs is Apple. I get that he's a micromanaging dictator, but even dictators rely heavily on their support, (programmers, designers, researchers). Calling the shots, demanding direction, and being the face of a company does not necessarily equate to the hype that Steve Jobs is the single driving force behind the company that has led to it's success. I think it's more accurate to say that he's in the position to take all the credit.

When he is no longer the face of Apple, I don't foresee the company collapsing, or even necessarily losing ground. I'm not saying he hasn't had a profound impact on turning Apple into a strong contender. I'm saying he had a lot of help along the way, and he's just a man who's had some cool ideas (his own or of those in his employ, I don't know), that he was able to help bring to fruition. Many of these ideas have led to consumer loyalty, but this isn't a rare event. What makes it unique (and imo, odd), is that for some, this loyalty extends to the CEO as well as the actual products.

I find this allegiance to Jobs by consumers who have never even met the guy a little disturbing, but likely harmless. I don't see it as a problem for Apple. I see it as a phenomenon that works in their favor. When he retires, someone else will take the reigns, and Apple will likely continue to thrive.

Santa Rosa
Apr 8, 2008, 11:41 AM
Its going to be interesting to see what happens once he is gone, I hope that isn't for a while yet!!

I think closing the doors and employing Oompa Loompas is possibly the way forward though.

IJ Reilly
Apr 8, 2008, 11:44 AM
I think it's more accurate to say that he's in the position to take all the credit.

In the position to take all the credit, but I don't hear him doing this. In fact at every keynote I've attended (which is a bunch) he always stands up all the Apple employees in the room and heaps praise on them for work well done, and asks everyone to give them a big round of applause. Many things are said about Steve Jobs and his ego and personal quirks, and how tough he can be on employees he doesn't think are measuring up, but one thing he does seem to understand about leadership is giving credit instead of taking credit. My sense is that this is a big part of Apple's success in recent years. Jobs really seems to know how to lead this huge team. You don't hear many Apple employees griping, do you?

digitalnicotine
Apr 8, 2008, 12:26 PM
In the position to take all the credit, but I don't hear him doing this. In fact at every keynote I've attended (which is a bunch) he always stands up all the Apple employees in the room and heaps praise on them for work well done, and asks everyone to give them a big round of applause. Many things are said about Steve Jobs and his ego and personal quirks, and how tough he can be on employees he doesn't think are measuring up, but one thing he does seem to understand about leadership is giving credit instead of taking credit. My sense is that this is a big part of Apple's success in recent years. Jobs really seems to know how to lead this huge team. You don't hear many Apple employees griping, do you?

Good to know, thanks. I'm glad to hear he gives credit, and appreciates his support. I personally don't mind his quirks, or ego. He's in a position where having both is not only acceptable, but quite common in very successful people. I don't know any Apple employees presently, but read somewhere that they are fiercely loyal, and regardless of how others interpret how he's treated them, they refuse to say anything negative about Jobs. I wasn't sure how to interpret that when I read it, but based on the information you've just posted, I think it reflects loyalty, not fear. Good leadership is crucial for the success of any company, and hopefully when Jobs retires, his successor will also be a good leader.

IJ Reilly
Apr 8, 2008, 12:46 PM
Good to know, thanks. I'm glad to hear he gives credit, and appreciates his support. I personally don't mind his quirks, or ego. He's in a position where having both is not only acceptable, but quite common in very successful people. I don't know any Apple employees presently, but read somewhere that they are fiercely loyal, and regardless of how others interpret how he's treated them, they refuse to say anything negative about Jobs. I wasn't sure how to interpret that when I read it, but based on the information you've just posted, I think it reflects loyalty, not fear. Good leadership is crucial for the success of any company, and hopefully when Jobs retires, his successor will also be a good leader.

Nothing succeeds like success. When Apple was in trouble, before Steve II, the company was full of unhappy campers. At least that's my understanding. Not only was the company in trouble, it was painfully evident to everybody inside and out that management was flailing around ineffectually for a solution. All of that ended amazingly quickly when Steve returned. So I agree, we tend to become mesmerized by the personality and overlook the concrete accomplishments. Even if Steve is a Grade AAA SOB, few Apple employees come into direct contact with him and most of what they know is that they now work for a successful company with real direction. That's got to beat the hell out of working for a nice guy without a clue.